Sign in to follow this  
RumpleForeSkin

EW Campaign

Wow, let's complain about the smallest of aspects and, because of them, label the whole mission a piece of crap, despite the fact that it's actually very well made, though not 100% realistic. Typical.

I ask you, ricnunes, to prove that you can do better.

First I didn't label the whole mission (or campaign) a piece of crap! I even labeled it awesome (re-read my post again and don't act like a "fanboi" - I also enjoy very much the BIS games BTW) and I think that in general terms the EW is great, don't get me wrong - I just think that the helicopter part is really a piece of crap. And since I bought the game (ArmA2) and while this patch 1.05 was "free" I have the right to give my feedback and post no only what I liked but also what I didn't like and specially what I trully, really disliked!

And finally, yes I can make MUCH BETTER helicopter missions than what BIS did with the helicopter part of the EW campaign! :rolleyes:

---------- Post added at 03:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:27 AM ----------

this was taken from wiki the AH-64 can take a full load of Air to Air missile be they stingers or sidewinders although you will not see it used that often in real life as the enemies airforce will already of been rendered useless by tomahawks and surgical strikes by bombers.

Yes the Apache can carry Stinger or Sidewinder Air-to-Air missiles (being the Stinger what the Apache would normally use) BUT those Air-to-Air missiles would be usually carried in WINGTIP pylon positions and NEVER in the Hellfire pylons since it's IMPOSSIBLE to carry sidewinder missiles in the Hellfire stations/pylons and place (because the Sidewinder is much larger than the Hellfire!).

A most usual loadout including Air-to-Air missiles would be (and excluding the cannon):

- 8xHellfire Missiles in two underwing pylons (4xHellfires per each pylon)

- 2xRocket pods in the two other remaining underwing pylons (1 pod per each pylon)

- 4xStinger Missiles in the wingtip pylons (2xStingers per each wingtip pylon)

Honestly I advise you to search deeper about the info that you want to search for and beware of Wikipedia (there are many mistakes in there - you should use other more reliable sources). ;)

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

The important fact about this mission is that it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

It's the atmosphere that matters, not absolute realism.

-

Yes, I already saw that before but nevertheless my dislike about the first part still remains and I completly disliked the BIS decision regarding the helicopter part of the EW campaign even because that helicopter part "negatively tainted" the otherwise great EW campaign (at least IMO).

I liked the helicopter part. I would really have liked it to feature the comanche, however. I was not put off of the concept of a special operations helicopter wing flying unconventional helicopters, though. Special operators of the infantry trade get access to equipment outside of the standard infantry issue. To me, it's not so big a leap of logic.

edit:

This is interesting. It's three proposals for a Sea Apache helicopter. Watch as it gets uglier and uglier: http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/mcdonnell_sea_apache.php

Edited by Max Power

I liked the chopper part more than the other part - the "big offensive" feel was excellent. My favorite part was parking my chopper in the woods to avoid detection, most enjoyable.

I replayed this last night and tried something new.

Basically i avoided all the checkpoints, and ran straight to the 3rd one, i got shot at loads, but nobody hit me.

When recruited i pretty much left the team alone to sort out the enemy's until we boarded the truck.

Once reaching the harbor and being told that it is every man for himself, i ran straight to the boat around the outside, avoiding all the fighting, i figured i could hop on the boat and leave them to it.

The team were a long way away, i hop on the boat and they shoot me for not killing the American (but they are nowhere near and caught up in the town)

Reverted the save, jumped out the truck and legged it back towards the harbor, this time i shot the American and the cut scene started, with no in town fighting needed to be done at all!

Wow, what an awesome mini campaign! Everything was perfect, sounds, visuals, story, very well done! Atmosphere was truly amazing.

- The chat between the pilot and gunner was the most lame chat that I ever saw!

At least there was a 300 reference:

Tim, don't even think about--

-THIS IS SPARTA!

:yay:

More Info please:

Where can I find this? Is it SP or Campaign?

I do recall seeing an Addon called "EW" made by a modder at Armaholics:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8854

Is this it?

Thanks.........

the EW campaign, is a new campaign that comes with the 1.05 patch.

Install the patch and start the game, then go to campaign which now has two campaigns listed: Harvest Red and EW.

I have just finished this...masterpeice! Well Done BI.

Made me have fond memories of CWC campaign.

If this is the sort of quality storytelling and mission design that we will be getting in ArrowHead...bring it on!

The first part was so crappy because:

- The Helo should have been the AH-1Z and NOT the Apache because you seem to be a Marine (and not Army)!

- The first/helo part doesn't give almost any freedom of movements to the player.

- The chat between the pilot and gunner was the most lame chat that I ever saw!

- Like "Australia says" in the end of the campaign -> WTF??: The Apache carries 8 sidewinder missiles in the place of the hellfires!! That's totally UNREALISTIC!

- Mission happens 4th of november 2012. How do we know for sure that Apaches won't be use by the USMC by then as standard? And if nothing changes on that department, how do you know US Army haven't adopted USMC uniforms by then? Uniform changes seem to happen "rather often".

- True, but sometimes you just can't have full freedom. Give me one military that allows full freedom ;) Usually you're set out on a flightplan involving fixed waypoints. This may be planned in advance, and who knows what changes by the end of 2012? And with 8 AA missiles loaded, you don't have much against missile based AA, which may have been present elsewhere. Route may already have been cleared by recon in the area. Always full freedom? No way. Suits some missions, but not all.

- Pilots and gunners can't have lame conversations?

- Your "totally UNREALISTIC" statement already disarmed by 1ID UKMERC.

So, even though the designer himself says not to take the mission too seriously, I don't really find the kinds of flaws you mention at all...

Edit: We all know engine has limitations regarding what from where wrt weapons. I'd rather have a realistic loadout suitable for the mission, and this one shows how to do it, than worry too much about which pylons have what and where stuff appear from, especially if it is an engine limitation (I don't know really). Designers have to make due with what they have, overcoming obstacles is one of the challenges.

Feel free to point us to better helicopter missions made by yourself.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

- Mission happens 4th of november 2012. How do we know for sure that Apaches won't be use by the USMC by then as standard? And if nothing changes on that department, how do you know US Army haven't adopted USMC uniforms by then? Uniform changes seem to happen "rather often".

- Because the FUTURE USMC gunship helicopter WILL be the AH-1Z, the latest version of the famous AH-1 Cobra. If you care to research a little bit you would know this. So in 2012 and beyond the USMC gunship helicopter wil be the AH-1Z which as you should know comes with "vannila" ArmA2.

- Your "totally UNREALISTIC" statement already disarmed by 1ID UKMERC.

In which part did 1ID UKMERC post disarmed my argument?? :j:

There's nothing in his post that indicates that a sidewinder missile can be placed in the same place (or pylon) where an Hellfire is placed and the reason is simple: It's IMPOSSIBLE to put a sidewinder missile in the same pylon as a Hellfire is placed even because a sidewinder missile WONT FIT in the same place as a Hellfire missile is placed since the sidewinder missile is MUCH LARGER than a Hellfire missile. This of course you should now it, if you care youself to READ and RESEARCH about military information.

We all know engine has limitations regarding what from where wrt weapons. I'd rather have a realistic loadout suitable for the mission, and this one shows how to do it, than worry too much about which pylons have what and where stuff appear from, especially if it is an engine limitation (I don't know really).

Look, as I said before a realistic loadout for an AH-64D Apache when facing possible aerial threats would be:

8xHellfire Missiles

2xRocket pods

4xStinger Air-to-Air Missiles mounted on WINGTIP pylons.

So I don't understand the objective of your post about "engine limitations" since the AH-1Z that comes with ArmA2 (and also made by BIS) HAVE a very similar loadout as I posted above. The only diference is that instead of 2 sidewinder you'll have 4 Stingers. I would even accept if the Apache in Arma2 had the exact same loadout as the AH-1Z loadout (2 sidewinders instead of 4 stingers) which shouldn't be hard for BIS to do and is DEFINITLY well WITHIN the ArmA2 "engine limitations".

Really, you should research first about military affairs before posting such comments!

- Pilots and gunners can't have lame conversations?

I believe this practice in encouraged by the USMC.

- Because the FUTURE USMC gunship helicopter WILL be the AH-1Z, the latest version of the famous AH-1 Cobra. If you care to research a little bit you would know this. So in 2012 and beyond the USMC gunship helicopter wil be the AH-1Z which as you should know comes with "vannila" ArmA2.

Eagle Wing is a fictitious special air forces unit. They can have anything they want.

In which part did 1ID UKMERC post disarmed my argument?? :j:

There's nothing in his post that indicates that a sidewinder missile can be placed in the same place (or pylon) where an Hellfire is placed and the reason is simple: It's IMPOSSIBLE to put a sidewinder missile in the same pylon as a Hellfire is placed even because a sidewinder missile WONT FIT in the same place as a Hellfire missile is placed since the sidewinder missile is MUCH LARGER than a Hellfire missile. This of course you should now it, if you care youself to READ and RESEARCH about military information.

Was that a hellfire rack or was it a fictional, special, future rack for stacking sidewinders?

Look, as I said before a realistic loadout for an AH-64D Apache when facing possible aerial threats would be:

8xHellfire Missiles

2xRocket pods

4xStinger Air-to-Air Missiles mounted on WINGTIP pylons.

So I don't understand the objective of your post about "engine limitations" since the AH-1Z that comes with ArmA2 (and also made by BIS) HAVE a very similar loadout as I posted above. The only diference is that instead of 2 sidewinder you'll have 4 Stingers. I would even accept if the Apache in Arma2 had the exact same loadout as the AH-1Z loadout (2 sidewinders instead of 4 stingers) which shouldn't be hard for BIS to do and is DEFINITLY well WITHIN the ArmA2 "engine limitations".

Really, you should research first about military affairs before posting such comments!

The designer of the campaign himself said, 'don't take it so seriously'. There are other much less narrow avenues of criticism based on realism one could take.. the fact that it's the dead of night but still light enough to see is one of them. Noone's complaining about that, though.

Missiles...Who needs missiles, I took out most of the Su25's with my CANNON!!!!

Also went mano v mano with guns agasint the hind.

You are only in the air for a short period of time, would it really have mattered what the loadout was?. As mentioned, whats to say that the route had not been cleared earlier and you were simply tasked with eliminating any aerial reinforcments, hence the sidewinder loadout?

You could always just unPBO the mission and change the AH64 to an AH1Z. idk how much that would affect things, but it would be "moar realistic" :p

You can never satisfy anybody...people complaining that BI beefed up the health of your team mates. But then they would have complained that they die too quickly if BI never did such a thing...

Anyways, this campaign was brilliant. Best since the Resistance campaign.

I heard there was a new ARMA II patch out that included a small campaign, so I pulled out my ARMA 2 disk and continued my RED HARVEST campaign before I installed it.

I remembered then why I stopped playing, so many mission bugs (was upto Dogs of war anyway, but still on version 1.02) so I did everything I can in the mission and ended it with "shift+ (keypad) - 'endmission' " because it wouldn't end even after I do everything on it's own.

I then installed 1.05 patch and went back to the "dogs of war" mission to find everything seems to be working now. Anyway I don't worry about doing it again for now so I try the new campaign.

As for EW Campaign.....

WOW, this was fantastic, really put me back into the Operation flashback (orignal) feeling, I REALLY enjoyed it, Kudos. I Hope this upcoming expansion is more inline with this type of gameplay, to be honest I enjoy being a member of the squad and not leading much more. I hope future campaigns take much longer before you're put in charge of the strings.

I was so impressed I had to come here and mention it, Well done.

Edited by VIPERGTSR01

I have been a lurker in this community since OFP and finally registered just to say:

EPIC WIN!:yay:

However, on my second playthrough I had a small issue.

I don't get the dialog where the guy Lev says that you should get a real weapon and follow him.

He simply commands to move to next waypoint and keeps staring at the house's open door. However, if you proceed further, the rest of the squad follows you...

Is there any way to prevent or fix this?:confused:

Also, first post:yay: