Sign in to follow this  
RumpleForeSkin

EW Campaign

First off, Bravo gentleman, I had much more fun in this little campaign then all of my attempts at Harvest Red. Please please keep em coming just like that.

The Community now has a new bar to reach in storytelling.

looking forward to a second playthrough :)

So far my story:

So, we reached coastline and first target was approaching, we spotted two small ground vehicles near a dam, engaged them after permission was given. We continued towards our objective, which was an airfield with few frogtfoots taking off, tim engaged them as soon as we got good sight on them airborne, not one survived. After that we received new orders to intercept and destroy enemy General, we arrived at site and there was armor, and a hind. Tim began to engage and after few minutes the place was turned into rubble and bodies. We requested new orders from HQ, but for few seconds it was all silent, after we asked again we got answer to RTB immediatly, and abort all missions. Last thing I remember from tim is him asking "What the hell does code foxtrot mean", I knew what it mean, and I didnt like what was coming up...Eyes blinded by the sight, I didnt know what hapenned, engines shut down, bird went down and I couldnt stay awake after all that. I woke about hour later, crwled out of my Crashed birds cockpit, and saw blood on gunners glass, I openned tim's canopy and saw him dead, leaning at dashboard. I took the letter form his pilot suits pocket, grabbed First aid and rations kit and started walking towards camp, I could hear some fighting, but not much, some small arms fire. The mushroom cloud I noticed for first time was huge.. There was dust flying around, it reminded me of Summer operation in 1986 in Ukraine. After I shaked that off, I took a look at map to locate some friendly camp, I noticed 3 closest CFD camps and checkpoints and started heading towards first one. After raching first checkpoint, all I found is bodies and wrecked vehicles, damn shame to see those poor bastards all shot up on road.. Then I heard footsteps, quickly hide in a barn, waiting for sound to come closer. I made sure my safetu was off, I was ready to kill to survive. Steps came closer, asphalt and shoes made noise I did not like, a figure came out behind the door, noticed his clothing, definetally a chedaki brat, shot him up with a terrible accuraty and managed to hit him, the whole village came up on me, I emptied magazine, dropped gun and began to run with my heart beating faster than ever before, I was literally running for my life. Now I am hiding in forest near camp three, ready to move as soon as I have gatherred little oxygen to my lungs. -Ed Winters

Yeah, EW had great sense of atmosphere and drama. These sorts of campaigns remind me of the personality of CWC and Resistance, and are so much more fun than generic military operations.

Loved it, only disapointment was that it was too short!

way too short... but the emersion was something of that from OFP, which is what the developers should shoot for next campaign/game. keep em coming, and thanks for the GOOD voice overs this time around.

@Kristian: You know, an important part of storytelling is paragraphing ;)

Loved it, but obviously too short. More a two part mission. Very good storytelling, and the use of props was exquisite. PP Color Filters and music made it all have that really eerie feel.

Edited by CarlGustaffa

I thoroughly enjoyed the minipain as well, it immersed you very well and had a somewhat eerie feel to it, only thing I didnt like you had to shoot the USMC Officer in the end :(

@icfhoop

I thoroughly enjoyed the minipain as well, it immersed you very well and had a somewhat eerie feel to it, only thing I didnt like you had to shoot the USMC Officer in the end :(

Well, you didn't really. They'll take care of it eventually. They just get all uppity at you if you don't- which is not really a change in character.

That was the most epic Arma campaign I have ever played, simply awesome!

I am not sure what your endings were, but in mine we all picked match sticks and a russian spec op got left behind. I felt so sad as we drifted off and the fog concealed him. Then the noise of his sniper stopped, and we knew he was gone...

Never had to shoot any USMC guys though!

Question:

Are the Russian squad that you fight with invincible or have very high armour bonus? I have been replaying the Balota mission over and over as well as the previous one and I have yet to see 1 of them hurt or die. It's either extraordinary skill or they're beefed somehow

Well yeah when they brilliantly left me alone with a fully loaded PK I just picked it up and when the spetz guy came back I lit him up. He blew off the first 40-50 shots then shot me dead.

The helicopter guy's stick was picked shortest. He killed me :(, the others were too late to save me.

REMEMBER SPOILERS WHEN DISCUSSING THE ENDINGS!!!

The team leader got the short stick, so he saluted us as we motored away, and went down in a hail of gunfire before being hit with an RPG or other explosive.

It seems like the actual picking of sticks is random, so there's possibly at least 6 different endings. I'm just wondering if you can leave with the officer. I did, but it seemed broken for me. If we could get away without being killed that is.

With me the machinegunner got the shortest, the team leader sais 'ohh he was a good guy bla bla...' and all I heard as I was driven into the fog was him returning fire on what seemed like looads of enemies.

The helicopter guy's stick was picked shortest. He killed me :(, the others were too late to save me.
how?!? when I played the campaign with the hotfix the teamleader said before we picked the sticks 'the pilot knows the way, he'll be staying. The rest of us have to pick matches...'
Are the Russian squad that you fight with invincible or have very high armour bonus? I have been replaying the Balota mission over and over as well as the previous one and I have yet to see 1 of them hurt or die. It's either extraordinary skill or they're beefed somehow
Yea they're invincible I assume, I saw the rpg guy fire the rpg into a tree about 0.5m infront of him and he didn't die, nor did he relay an 'injured' message over the radio

Yea they're invincible I assume, I saw the rpg guy fire the rpg into a tree about 0.5m infront of him and he didn't die, nor did he relay an 'injured' message over the radio

Yep, I took a peek inside and it looks like an eventhandler makes them exempt from enemy fire -but not to yours :D I love the mission but I really don't like things like that in a sandbox game. It would basically allow you to 'stand back' and eventually your guys will win the battle for you.

Yeah, EW had great sense of atmosphere and drama. These sorts of campaigns remind me of the personality of CWC and Resistance, and are so much more fun than generic military operations.

I really agree about the "generic military operations" plague.

I loved EW also, effective emotional response. Brings back the goodness of OFP!!

Made me quite uneasy... "OMG!! I don't believe it!"

But what I wonder is if it will have the same strong effect on

a younger person not raised in the 50s/60s?

Possible SPOILER.....

Possible SPOILER.....

Possible SPOILER.....

Possible SPOILER.....

I was quite tickled by the fact of almost everyone having a different weapon making ammo scarce... Just Brilliant.

jmc

Edited by jmc

Awesome campaign, a bit short yes, but still very immersive. I liked the way OPFOR moved around dazed and confused because of the blast. At first I thought this was way too easy but then it started to make sense.

However, why am I NAVY? NAVY don't field Apache helicopters...It's a small oversight but it still riles. Arma is not CoD so everything must be authentic. Ed Winters should be Army, piloting an Apache attached to a Joint Task Force. So, because of that I'm giving it 9/10.

For BIS, keep 'em coming. You need to continue making Campaings and/or missions, this is your product and you should support it. This is akin to BMW stop producing spare parts for their cars. I love community addons and missions, but BIS must also be a part of it.

My oppinion regarding the FIRST part of the campaign (the helicopter part) is that this was the biggest PIECE OF CRAP ever made by BIS (in terms of missions/campaigns) while at the same time the SECOND part was one of the most AWESOME missions/campaign that I played in the ArmA games!

The first part was so crappy because:

- The Helo should have been the AH-1Z and NOT the Apache because you seem to be a Marine (and not Army)!

- The first/helo part doesn't give almost any freedom of movements to the player.

- The chat between the pilot and gunner was the most lame chat that I ever saw!

- Like "Australia says" in the end of the campaign -> WTF??: The Apache carries 8 sidewinder missiles in the place of the hellfires!! That's totally UNREALISTIC!

Since I like very much to fly helos in ArmA2 and I was hoping for a helo pilot campaign this first part of the EW campaign was a huge disapointment! Thankfully this first part is very short and the second part is trully AWESOME and a GREAT piece of work inded!

- The Helo should have been the AH-1Z and NOT the Apache because you seem to be a Marine (and not Army)!

- The first/helo part doesn't give almost any freedom of movements to the player.

- Like "Australia says" in the end of the campaign -> WTF??: The Apache carries 8 sidewinder missiles in the place of the hellfires!! That's totally UNREALISTIC!

The important fact about this mission is that it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

It's the atmosphere that matters, not absolute realism.

-

Wow, let's complain about the smallest of aspects and, because of them, label the whole mission a piece of crap, despite the fact that it's actually very well made, though not 100% realistic. Typical.

I ask you, ricnunes, to prove that you can do better.

I loved the campaign although the last bit was sort of ruined for me because

for some reason after we took the harbour village we went on a swim in the sea, lost all our weapons, and when we got back the mission was all bugged out. I managed to complete the mission but the last part was more or less just a big confusion with people getting referenced whom I haven't met, and no-one having a weapon they could return fire with.

Armament

* Guns: 1× 30 × 113 mm (1.18 × 4.45 in) M230 Chain Gun with 1,200 rounds

* Rockets: Hydra 70 FFAR rockets

* Missiles: combination of AGM-114 Hellfire, AIM-92 Stinger, and AIM-9 Sidewinder

this was taken from wiki the AH-64 can take a full load of Air to Air missile be they stingers or sidewinders although you will not see it used that often in real life as the enemies airforce will already of been rendered useless by tomahawks and surgical strikes by bombers.