Sign in to follow this  
canuter

Patch 1.05 DRM removed. Really?

DRM was the reason I didn't buy the game at lauch. I've read that the latest patch makes the game DRM free. In the change log I read "DRM free for users of legitimate installs", which is ambiguous to say the least.

To what extent is this true? No activation required, no limited installations, no disc required while playing?

Game is now DRM free. The game never needed activation, and as far as I know there's no limit to installs.

If you don't buy games with any kind of DRM, that must make your game collection rather small yes? ;)

Edited by DMarkwick

For the disk version, I don't need the disk anymore. Not sure if STEAM users still need to have STEAM running or not, but I don't think so.

For the disk version, I don't need the disk anymore. Not sure if STEAM users still need to have STEAM running or not, but I don't think so.

I've got the Steam version manually patched with 1.05, it does not require Steam to be running to run the game anymore.

My guess it's like in Arma 1,DRM has been removed and the only thing that remains it's the serial key check witch activates Fade if no valid serial found,so that is the only thing left you could classify as "Drm".

But that shouldn't bother you assuming you do have a legit copy.

Game is now DRM free. The game never needed activation, and as far as I know there's no limit to installs.

Sorry. I misread this post where the author tells a terrifying tale about runing out of activations. But he is talking about a downloadable version.

So DRM free then. No excuse not to buy it now.

If you don't buy games with any kind of DRM, that must make your game collection rather small yes? ;)

You bet! Basic cd-checks is the most I can stand.

It's horrible. Is like being some sort of vegetarian gamer.

Fortunately now there is GOG.com. And some games are patched (like Arma II or The Witcher) or relauched with no protection. Normally I'm patient enough to wait to buy until this happens, I don't mind playing old games, but when I can't I put the patch on my eye and [this part is unreadable]

Thank you!

I can relate Canuter, I buy nothing that requires online activation, out of principle. Arma was always good in that regard, though.

You bet! Basic cd-checks is the most I can stand.

That's all the DVD version of the game had, a basic disk check done by Securom. Which is now gone in 1.05 anyway.

Non of the online activations, disk checks and keys bother me at all, but having to have the disk in the drive really grinds my gears, luckily it hasn't been an issue since the betas started, but it does drive toward cracked exe files for games I own. Not Arma2 though, with 15 mods running troubleshooting can be a pita as it is, and I can't hit the side of a barn at the best of times without bis messing with my sights:)

I was under the impression that drm was used at the game's release as an obstacle (albeit a low one) for pirates just getting the game for the hell of it (before quickly returning to 'generic shooter3') and as the game matures and people feel inclined to get the demo and try it out legally before making their mind up it become less of an issue.