Sign in to follow this  
snkman

Group Link 4 Special FX Edition

Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

Thanks for the help so far, guys.

Mrcash2009:

I made a map without ACE2 activated in the editor.

It didn't crash while playing without ACE2 activated.

It didn't crash while playing with ACE2 activated.

I played a map I made in the editor with ACE2 activated while using ACE2, and it froze after like 2 minutes with the Enemy A.I. Enhancement of GL4 on.

And yeah, I've defragged very recently.

I'm pretty sure CBA is up to date. I do get an initialization pause after a couple of seconds of starting a map (which lasts for like 3 seconds), but after that everything's smooth.. Just to be safe, I'll reinstall CBA.

jasonnoguchi:

I don't get any slowdowns at all. Everything seems to be running smoothly, but then at some point while playing the game just stops responding and I have to end the process.

And using or not using the ACE2 version of Zeus AI doesn't seem to change anything.

malibu.stacey:

I'm not sure, but I think it only crashes while playing in the editor.

I tried playing a scenario with

-noSplash -cpuCount=4 -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_PLA;@ACEX_SM;@GL4;@zcommon_ace;@GDT

with the Enemy A.I. enhancement on, but no freezes occurred.

I think I'll just try to disable Enemy A.I. features one at a time and hope I figure out how to fix the problem..

Sorry if I sound confusing, guys. I have been testing for 3 hours to try and answer all of your questions. :D

@mrcash2009 / jasonnoguchi / DMarkwick

Yes after some thinking it really sounds not that bad, becouse in real life you may would be interested too in what happand nearby after hearing gunfire.

Anyway if it was fired by friendly or enemy you even would not know who fired so may you would go to have a look.

@Lollis25

Welcome. :)

Well so far i never had the freeze you had descripted, but i'm pretty sure it has something to do with another mod.

I always use Group Link 4 stand alone ( without any other mods ) becouse this is the only way to make sure my stuff is working like it should.

You really should try the way to test Group Link 4 stand alone and then adding mods 1 by 1.

After you get a freeze you know exactly which mods fault it was.

I know this sometimes will need some time but so far this is the only way to slove problems like this.

Yes after some thinking it really sounds not that bad, becouse in real life you may would be interested too in what happand nearby after hearing gunfire.

Anyway if it was fired by friendly or enemy you even would not know who fired so may you would go to have a look.

Great news.

Yes it mirrors a natural response, the situation this should supplied for the most is basically when no one is in contact and no one is firing any place ... "someone" fires .. then its "WTF?" moment kicks in. Maybe it shouldn't be after contact is happening or firefights started for far away groups (obvious really).

Hey, guys.

I feel kinda dumb for not trying this earlier, but after disabling some features in GL4_Global.sqf I am now able to play through an entire map without any freezing!

I was disabling things in clumps (because one at a time would take way too long :p), but after disabling one of these two

// Choose if enemy A.I. should be able to request airstrike support after a target was spotted.

// True / False, default is True

GL4_Global set [9, False];

// Set this variable False to disable the Enemy A.I. Reinforcement Request.

// True / False, default is True

GL4_Global set [0, False];

the freezes have ceased!

I am pretty sure it's the reinforcement one, because there are no airplanes in some of the maps I was testing.. So I'm going to play for awhile with only the reinforcement requests disabled, then report back.

@jasonnoguchi

Your last suggestion about the "Advancing" feature was to make enemy A.I. react to gunfire from A.I. friendly to the player.

The current request is to make enemy A.I. react to gunfire from friendly ( enemy A.I. ) so enemy A.I. advance to gunfier from their own side too.

@mrcash2009

Yes it mirrors a natural response, the situation this should supplied for the most is basically when no one is in contact and no one is firing any place ... "someone" fires .. then its "WTF?" moment kicks in. Maybe it shouldn't be after contact is happening or firefights started for far away groups (obvious really).

Yeah but think about it twice.

Enemy A.I. will advance after hearing gunfire from any friendly to the enemy A.I. unit/group.

Now under which condition do enemy A.I. fire?

Right after spotting a player.

What will a player do after spotting enemy A.I.?

Right fire at the enemy A.I. which means the player "Advancing" feature will be triggered becouse the player has fired his weapon.

So may this will only double the feature becouse enemy A.I. will advance once to the friendly A.I. gunfire and twice to the player gunfire. :p

I don't know but this really sounds a bit strange to me.

@Lollis25

after disabling some features in GL4_Global.sqf I am now able to play through an entire map without any freezing!

Thanks for the feedback. ;)

Edited by SNKMAN

@Lollis25

Thanks for the feedback. ;)

Yeah :)

I've been playing for about 2 hours now with the reinforcement requests disabled, and have not had one freeze! I guess that fixed it!

I'm very happy. I've been trying to fix this for a whole week, and now it's fixed!!! :bounce3:

Love the mod, guys. I couldn't play without it! I love the chatter amongst units, and the effects, and the enemies surrender feature, and the suppression feature, and it's all just so cool!:D

You can make it so at the very least the enemy units become "alerted" when hearing the friendly gunfire and go into combat mode, take cover, etc.

I tried playing a scenario with

-noSplash -cpuCount=4 -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX;@ACEX_PLA;@ACEX_SM;@GL4;@zcomm on_ace;@GDT

with the Enemy A.I. enhancement on, but no freezes occurred.

If you cut and pasted that line directly from your start up , check for the space between 'zcomm' and 'on_ace' .

May just be how it ended up in your post, or you maybe typed all that manually, I don't know. But if that space exists in your shortcut start line , it may be causing dramas.

edit....doh just read the rest of the thread .

ignore that

Edited by Bluedog

Hey, guys.

I feel kinda dumb for not trying this earlier, but after disabling some features in GL4_Global.sqf I am now able to play through an entire map without any freezing!

I was disabling things in clumps (because one at a time would take way too long :p), but after disabling one of these two

the freezes have ceased!

I am pretty sure it's the reinforcement one, because there are no airplanes in some of the maps I was testing.. So I'm going to play for awhile with only the reinforcement requests disabled, then report back.

Ive just started using GL4 again, just for single play, and i also had to disable these 2 things to stop the freezes.

Anything able to be done with this addon about the "GO IM COVERING" ?

Its SO annoying!

Ive been using ACE and its disabled in that.

Thanks

Ive just started using GL4 again, just for single play, and i also had to disable these 2 things to stop the freezes.

Anything able to be done with this addon about the "GO IM COVERING" ?

Its SO annoying!

Ive been using ACE and its disabled in that.

Thanks

Hey, Nazul.

Try playing with only the reinforcement one disabled. I re-enabled the airstrike request one and everything still works fine, so I think that the only thing causing trouble was the reinforcements one.

I'm not sure how to fix the "Go! I'm covering" thing, though. Sometimes the AI spams it, and it's kinda funny. :D

"Go! I'm covering... GO! I'm covering... GO!!!... Go! I'm covering"

It seems like the BIS medic system is automatic in place;

will it conflict with the ACE wounding system?

Hey, Nazul.

Try playing with only the reinforcement one disabled. I re-enabled the airstrike request one and everything still works fine, so I think that the only thing causing trouble was the reinforcements one.

I'm not sure how to fix the "Go! I'm covering" thing, though. Sometimes the AI spams it, and it's kinda funny. :D

"Go! I'm covering... GO! I'm covering... GO!!!... Go! I'm covering"

Hi all -

I started using GL4 just recently. The only extended time ive played it has been on a Linux server, in Duala warfare mode (which doesnt allow ACE). I was using Zeus and GL4 (vanilla config) as the AI mods, along with several 'effects' mods like warFX and HiFi weapons.

I got freezes anywhere from 10 minutes to 4 hours into the scenario. The server would play on, but teh client side would freeze up (arma) suddenly, and the server would kick it due to no communication. Other players on teh server were fine.

The server used identical mods and config as the client side.

Ive slowly been culling out mods, and thought it might be warfx particles conflicting -- but after about 4 hours (and a great little war going on, btw), it froze solid again.

Ill try disabling the reinforcement feature, but dang... thats one of the biggest reasons I wanted to run GL4 !

Anyway, thanks for a great mod. Id offer some post-mortem data, but the freeze leaves nothing to look at.

I would be happy to help nail this down, though, if anyone has any ideas.

This is truly weird... I've never had the freezes... is it because the reinforcement feature takes up a lot of computing power? What kind of systems are you guys running?

The only reason for the freeze I can think of is a script in an infinite loop as I get similiar lock-downs when testing self-made scripts without proper conditions. Never had them with GL4, though.

The only reason for the freeze I can think of is a script in an infinite loop as I get similiar lock-downs when testing self-made scripts without proper conditions. Never had them with GL4, though.

Well I dont necessarily attribute it to GL4, but seeing others here have issues makes me think.

Its very possible that the freeze is so random (with regards to play-time) that maybe disabling one feature or another may only appear to fix the problem. It could also be a mod order or quantity issue I suppose. Sounds like disabling reinforcement definitely did some good for the OP and the other poster.

The nature of the freeze on my end is just a sudden hang - no slow-down like its resource exhaustion -- its more like something goes deep into the arma engine and stops it cold. sounds still update, but the image freezes, and arma stops comming with the server.

Interestingly I did play a full 6 hour warfare scenario using 'local' mode -- my client was also my server. The other points of interest were that my buddy had no hang the one time he played with me, and the linux server itself appears to have no issue.

Not sure whats gettin tickled, and I hope I can get the time to work through it, and also see if it happens on other maps and other missions.

Mod-list client-side: (after culling out some effects-based stuff like warFX):

noSplash -mod=@CBA;@duala;@ffaa_terrorists;@Desert-mercs;@ad_helos;@Brit-RMC;@cherna_redarmy;@extra_units_and_vehicles;@SLA-Arma2;@UN-forces;@HiFi;@HiFi_Extras;@grenadier-fix;@zcommon;@GL4;@JTD-fire-smoke

Mod-list server-side:

@cba\;@quesh_kibrul-v2\;@duala\;@panthera\;@desert_usmc\;@bink_usarmy\;@sla-arma2\;@desert-mercs\;@un-forces\;@extra_units_and_vehicles\;@ad_helos\;@ffaa_terrorists\;@brit-rmc\;@hifi\;@hifi_extras\;@grenadier-fix\;@zcommon\;@gl4\;@jtd-fire-smoke

CBA is the very latest - just updated with the six updater yesterday (which could be good or bad I guess). At the same time I updated Duala and everything else to latest.

Id be interested in hearing from the OP what map hes running, and whether it seems to happen more on certain mission or types of mission than others -- if it was based on the reinforcements being turned on id suspect missions with more force density would hang up quicker.

By the way - I run an INtel Q6700 quad, no OC, 4Gb of RAM on an Nvidia 750i Mobo, with an ATI 5850 (single) graphics board. I also run soundblaster xtreme gamer fatality blah blah blah sound board (puhleeese with the stupid names). The server runs Fedora10 on an old Nvidia board with a core 2 duo (not overclocked YET). Its headless.

I noticed on the server that GL4 doesnt like to run without its config files -- either the mod wasnt loading right before, or thats a new change. Anyway, I put them in userconfig to fix that -- teh config files are vanilla, and should match across client and server.

Anyway, thats the deal... THanks for listenning.

Maybe it could be possible to make AI groups sending scouts to check where the gunfire came for? Like the AI group leader would send, say two units to check it out. And then if enemy is detected then they would call for the rest of the group?

Well I dont necessarily attribute it to GL4, but seeing others here have issues makes me think.

Update: Turned off GL4 reinforcement request in gl4_global ( GL4_Global set [0, False];).

It hung hard after a couple hours play. Same mods, same map, same mode.

Disabled reinforcments at both client and server side.

@All

Bad to hear that you ran into such strange problems...

In the latest version of Group Link 4 there is only one known bug which made such strong freeze/lock ups.

It's the "House FX" feature of Group Link 4 which makes the game freeze for several seconds/minutes after for example shooting with a tank cannon at a house.

Some more detailed informations about what happend right bevore the game freeze would be very helpfull.

Was reinforcement already requested since some time?

Are there still groups alive which can be requested as reinforcement by enemy A.I.?

@djczing

I'm always using the default ArmA 2 maps only.

@Kroky, that sounds like a nice and realistic idea! Have only a part of the enemy group advance on fire from their own side in order to "check things out" instead of an all out advance. :) What do you think SNKMAN? :)

RETRY;

It seems like the BIS medic system is automatic in place;

will it conflict with the ACE wounding system?

@jasonnoguchi

What do you think SNKMAN?

Well yes of course "Advancing" groups could do this by a random chance. ;)

@Nonkel Mich

Group Link 4 do not have anything to do with B.I.S. features/modules.

Group Link 4 do initialize only things which comes from Group Link 4.

@jasonnoguchi

Well yes of course "Advancing" groups could do this by a random chance. ;)

OMG! That's right!!!! You are BRILLIANT!

Snkman,

Thank you for the reply. Sorry it has taken awhile to post back. I tried all these different settings like you suggested.. I tried increasing the sleep time. I tried putting this at the top of the Init.sqf and at the bottom. Found at the top some things below it like revive.sqf would not load. No luck with anything I did. No matter what it always uses the settings in ARMA2\userconfig\GL4\. And yes I only used first set or the second set not both together in the Init.sqf.

execVM:

Code:

waitUntil { !(isNil "GL4_Global") };

[] execVM "GL4_Settings\GL4_Global.sqf";

waitUntil { !(isNil "GL4_Local") };

[] execVM "GL4_Settings\GL4_Local.sqf";

waitUntil { !(isNil "GL4_Random") };

[] execVM "GL4_Settings\GL4_Random.sqf";

Sleep:

Code:

waitUntil { !(isNil "GL4_Global") };

sleep 0.1;