Sign in to follow this  
snkman

Group Link 4 Special FX Edition

Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the "Script/Mission Based" initialize?

• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes

cool... something i didnt know. but ive always seen it explained everywhere as if it was very important for the cba to be loaded first... kinda odd if it doesnt matter that much.

oh well, slap me around and call me stupid :p

@domiS

I've read the readme, and from what ive understood you dont have to use the modules and syncronisation in the editor to enable the AI enhance.

Yes that's right.

If you use C.B.A. then everything will be initialized by default.

@JumpingHubert

Only one small bug: radio chatter isn´t loud enough in a tank for example.

Well i thought that too, but other ppl told me that "Radio Chatter" was way to loude in my test versions so i tweaked them down.

I have a X-FI Sound Blaster card and there are some problems with this card and ArmA 2 i think.

Sometimes i can hear sounds clearly only if facing in the right sometimes in the opposite direction of from where the sound comes.

So it's a bit tricky for me to get a clear and stable sound volume.

@froggyluv

how would I be able to disable certain aspects of GL4 for someone else, short of asking everyone to go into their config's

All settings of the "GL4_Global.sqf" for example are used by the didicated ( player host ) server only.

This means what you set in "GL4_Global.sqf" will have global effects on all clients/players.

Only "Special FX" features can be customized ( changed/enabled/disabled ) by each player/client.

@pumpkinman

First of all your englis is really good. ;)

Sadly you haven't localized your texts in a stringtable.csv file.

Yes i go the international way only.

Having a Global version would be nice but so far i skiped this becouse i found no time ( interest ) in doing this.

If you are good in this kind of stuff i really would be very happy if you would make a translation.

I could yours use as template and save some time which i could spend in modding. :)

So if you really like to translate then you are free to do.

Consider two groups, A and B. If I synchronise group A with the "System" module and the group B with the "Custom" module, what's happen ?

Pretty simple only group B will be initialized by the Group Link 4 Enemy A.I. Enhancement.

If you work with the "Group Link 4: System" module then you need to synchronisize one enemy A.I. group with the "Group Link 4: System" module once to tell Group Link 4 which side is enemy.

If you now would NOT create the "Group Link 4: Custom" module then each group at the map eaqual to the side which was synchronisized with the "Group Link 4: System" module will be initialized by the Enemy A.I. Enhancement.

But by creating the "Group Link 4: Custom" module the group initialize will switch to the groups which was synchronized with the "Group Link 4: Custom" module.

Q: Which Enemy A.I. Enhancement features are used if i choose to work with Custom Groups:

Group Link 4 do initialize all available features with each group/unit and vehicle.

The "Custom Groups" do only set which groups are initialized with the Reinforcement Request feature.

The "Custom Groups" do not lock/disable features of groups/units which was not initialized by the Group Link 4

A.I. Enhancement.

This means each group/unit will use each Group Link 4 A.I. Enhancement feature like: Advancing, Suppressed Fire,

Body Detect even if the group/unit was not initialized as "Custom Group".

This means if a enemy A.I. group was not synchronized with the "Group Link 4: Custom" module then this group will use the features like Advancing, Suppressed Fire, Body Detect.

I thought ppl may would think that thouse features are used by enemy A.I. groups which was initialized by the Enemy A.I. Enhancement so i just wanted to let ppl know that the other features like Advancing, Suppressed Fire,

Body Detect and so on are used by each enemy A.I. group.

I know sometimes less informations helps more then too much. :D

Salut!

Extremely helpful post above, thanks Snk!

Didn't know about the Custom module at all but that really helps.

Ditto radio chatter... way too soft in the recent update. The previous one got it just right. :) Some people hates chatter of any kind and even go as far as to disable all radio chatters, so you don't have to be too concerned about them as long as you make the disable radio chatter option availalbe in the config.

Seconded. I just love radio chatter, it adds so much to the immersion (and it gives me the ECP fix I need since OFP :p).

Is there a way to disable or tweak down explosion flash from explosive rounds ? I tried all settings possible in GL4_local.sqf but it does nothing.

I ask myself if the auto-init actually consider the custom settings at all ?

Would it be possible to kinda balance the ai part of this mod and the Zeus AI together...

Hi spangg, thanks for the message.

Instructions on how to configure GL4 to work with Zeus are here.

SNKMAN has done an awesome job with GL4 and I provided him config information in the hope that he will be able deliver optimised AI skills `right out of the box'.

a few sd weapon classnames from ace2 what should go into gl4_global, under VARIABLE 14 to make them silent:

"ACE_M4A1_GL_SD","ACE_M4A1_ACOG_SD","ACE_M4A1_AIM_SD","ACE_SOC_M4A1_AIM_SD","ACE_SOC_M4A1_SD_9","ACE_SOC_M4A1_SHORTDOT_SD","ACE_M4SPR_SD","ACE_M110_SD","ACE_TAC50_SD","ACE_UMP45_SD"

AND MAGAZINES WHAT SHOULD GO INTO THE SAME PLACE IMHO:

"30Rnd_556x45_StanagSD","ACE_5Rnd_127x99_S_TAC50","30Rnd_9x19_MP5SD","ACE_20Rnd_762x51_S_M110"

Thanks that is really useful info and saved me a job!

Maybe TAC50 should be dropped from the list though, as I don't think it fires subsonic ammunition - suppressor is just to reduce rifle report. Someone will correct this if I'm wrong I'm sure.

Same probably goes for the M110.

and the crew and pilot into gl4_class:

"ACE_usarmy_crew","PLA_Soldier_Pilot ","PLA_Soldier_Crew"

Just to confirm, we append the above list to the existing entry in GL4_Class.sqf, so it reads:

GL4_Crew set [0, (GL4_Crew select 0) + ["USMC_Soldier_Pilot", "USMC_Soldier_Crew", "CDF_Soldier_Pilot", "CDF_Soldier_Crew", "RU_Soldier_Pilot", "RU_Soldier_Crew", "Ins_Soldier_Pilot", "Ins_Soldier_Crew", "GUE_Soldier_Pilot", "GUE_Soldier_Crew", "ACE_usarmy_crew", "PLA_Soldier_Pilot ", "PLA_Soldier_Crew"] ];

or do we only require the additional classes?

I offered, so here it is:

Formations for AI movement at the section/squad level can probably be simplified down to the following:

Column - movement in safe areas, or where movement is restricted (IED/mine threat)

Staggered Column - standard patrol formation

Compact Column - movement at night and in urban areas

Line - advance to contact formation when position of enemy known, especially crossing open ground

Diamond - good compact formation when location of enemy unknown, urban patrol, VIP protection

Wedge, Vee & Echelons just variations balance firepower or move it to the most exposed flank

This isn't intended to start a mass debate on formations, we should probably do that elsewhere if anyone radically disagrees with the above and just post the consensus back for SNKMAN's information.

Now, some more question for SNKMAN...

What GL4 features can I use in a mission created for multiplayer coop with GL4 to be run server side only?

At the moment, GL4 creates a dependency in the mission.sqm, however if I manually comment this out players without GL4 can join and play the mission successfully; but do get a warning they have to click away about the mission needing GL4 system when launching and I'd like to avoid it.

Regarding existing mission behaviour when running GL4 on a dedicated server that is required to run CBA to support other mods - is there a way to control GL4 without having to edit the existing missions or change Global config and restart the server?

Basically, with GL4 mod loaded, is there a way to have no GL4 active for missions that were created without, but full features for missions created with it?

You could try this:

waitUntil { !(isNil "GL4_Global") };
#include "GL4_Settings\GL4_Global.sqf";

waitUntil { !(isNil "GL4_Local") };
#include "GL4_Settings\GL4_Local.sqf";

waitUntil { !(isNil "GL4_Random") };
#include "GL4_Settings\GL4_Random.sqf";

It's not clear from Onkel Bo's post, what sort of thing can you do with this?

Protegimus

Having a Global version would be nice but so far i skiped this becouse i found no time ( interest ) in doing this.

I know what you mean ;):)

If you are good in this kind of stuff i really would be very happy if you would make a translation.

I could yours use as template and save some time which i could spend in modding.

So if you really like to translate then you are free to do.

Ok, let's go ! It will be a pleasure to save your modding time !

I'll start from "Group Link 4 Special FX Edition v.1.1.13" and try to localized every messages. No matter if you continue to code/modify/debug "Group Link 4", the goal is to provide you with a (good) base.

I forgot something last time : Concerning MP mission like "Domination" by Xeno, where the units/groups are generated by scripts, I suppose it's necessary to create a unit at least , synchronized with "System" module, but then ? All the units are create by the "createvehicle" command, will those units/groups be initialized too ?

Seen you... not very soon :)

Hi, i have an important question regarding GL4 if its used with ACE at the same time...

GL4 and ACE do have some similar features like bleeding and backblast damage.

If both mods are running will the effect be doubled?

Or will the later loaded mod override the behavior of the first?

@Protegimus

you can handle the GL4 Settings in the mission init.sqf, just put the GL4_Settings folder into your nameofmission folder and change settings as desired.

waitUntil { !(isNil "GL4_Global") };
#include "GL4_Settings\GL4_Global.sqf";

waitUntil { !(isNil "GL4_Local") };
#include "GL4_Settings\GL4_Local.sqf";

waitUntil { !(isNil "GL4_Random") };
#include "GL4_Settings\GL4_Random.sqf";

it´s just a method to include the settings to the init.sqf

@jasonnoguchi

The volume of the "Radio Chatter" was increased by + 5db from v.1.1.10 to 1.1.13.

@NikoTeen

Is there a way to disable or tweak down explosion flash from explosive rounds?

You can get back the default explosions by removing/deleting the "GL4_Config_FX.pbo".

@Protegimus

Or do we only require the additional classes?

Yes you only need to add classes additional classes.

All ArmA 2 default classes will be listed by default.

What GL4 features can I use in a mission created for multiplayer coop with GL4 to be run server side only?

All features of Group Link 4 are coded to work in multiplayer.

Features which are used by A.I. are controlled by the server only.

This means all features listed in "GL4_Global.sqf" are server side only.

At the moment, GL4 creates a dependency in the mission.sqm.

Yes thats right.

I already was looking to get Group Link 4 working without adding something to the "mission.sqm" but so far i had no luck with it.

Also if you add additional classes in a "Config.cpp" under the class CfgVehicles then to my knowledge the .pbo which use the Config.cpp where additional classes was added to the CfgVehicles always will be listed in the "mission.sqm" so may there is no fix for this.

Basically, with GL4 mod loaded, is there a way to have no GL4 active for missions that were created without, but full features for missions created with it?

Nope as far as i know you can not switch something like that.

You have to clearly choos what you like to use in the mission.

@pumpkinman

Ok, let's go !

Yeah let's do this. ;)

All the units are create by the "createvehicle" command, will those units/groups be initialized too ?

No they will not be initialized by Group Link 4.

If i would initialize units/groups created with createVehicle and/or createUnit then the mission designer would loose the controle of the mission.

Of course there could be made some workarounds to check all units/groups of a mission from time to time and initialize them but i think this isn't the best way.

Basically Group Link 4 was made for missions which was created by using the editor and placing all units/group in the editor.

@=(+)=TheVoodoo

If both mods are running will the effect be doubled?

To my knowledge yes, becouse bouth modifications are using C.B.A. which was created to overcome the overwriting behaviour while using several mods at the same time.

No they will not be initialized by Group Link 4.

If i would initialize units/groups created with createVehicle and/or createUnit then the mission designer would loose the controle of the mission.

Of course there could be made some workarounds to check all units/groups of a mission from time to time and initialize them but i think this isn't the best way.

Basically Group Link 4 was made for missions which was created by using the editor and placing all units/group in the editor.

I would love it if it was possible to auto initialize on all units created in this manner. Im using this mod to enhance the gameplay of domination mostly, and would love for it to work on the AI spawned in that mission.

Okay if there really is a need for this then i will add a check to initialize units/groups which was created during the mission.

Okay if there really is a need for this then i will add a check to initialize units/groups which was created during the mission.

I'd love that SNKMAN! I play warfare on my own quite often so respawn of the enemy ai is inevitable.

Thx in advance!

Happy New Year to everyone!!

I'm still having issues with AI acting really strange. I'm getting enemy APC's driving up in front of me and not doing anything. Sometimes the enemy troops run straight for us and act like we're not there. I'm running ACE, GL4 and Zeus with the parameter set in the GL4_Global.sqf

// GL4 Enemy A.I. Difficult Level:

// ==============================================================

// Choose True or False to enable/disable this feature completly

// True / False, default is True

GL4_Global set [30, False];

The enemy side is PLA and they are acting like WW2 Kamikaze's and just literally walking over my troops. There were at least 3 of them advancing into a whole group of my AI troops. My troops were behind a dip in the terrain and it could be that the PLA's line of sight to my team was obstructed but it just seems in general that they're advancing to my position like they have nothing to loose.

There's the possibility that I've lost all of my former mission editing experience and I'm pretty frustrated by failing in the editor now. So please don't take this rant too seriously and pick out the constructive parts you like. It's not that I don't respect your addon. :)

I've installed GL4 because I was told how easy it is to get some action in the editor. And then I remembered GL2 which was available as pure script resource for OFP - which was later on included in ECP and setup to run for all sides in any mission played with active ECP mod IIRC.

1. The Documentation is a mess.

readme.txt., readme.pdf, features.pdf. I understand the overall idea but why is the group spawn documentation placed in the listing features.pdf when it belongs to the other documentations in the readme.pdf?

Those big watermarks really help to find the right one of the two documents when both are loaded, still they make it hard to read the text. They should more transparent. Anyhow I prefer to open only one document at a time not multiple ones and to use the search function.

2. I see that you're trying to make mission editing more easy for everybody with adding Modules/syncing to the editor instead of complicated script calls. And it works great, I've placed everything like documented and only the attackers needed one seek&destroy waypoint. Everything else to create nice firefight was done by GL4.

But that's a nightmare for me as a former experienced OFP scripter. It's like making a website with a WYSIWYG kit instead of writing/copying the code myself like I was used to from scripts like GL2.

The downsides I reckon:

Servers and players will have to install the GL4 addon to play missions created with the GL4-System module. No addon free mp missions with your AI scripts only.

The whole Group Link 4 Enemy A.I. Enhancement is setup to effect all units of a side when initialized and not recommend for using on friendly A.I. groups because it can only handle one enemy the documentation states. Nice for setting up the average coop scenario "we against the world" but pretty limiting for all other scenarios including friendly ai squads.

3. When reading ECP I was expecting the GL4 scripts would be loaded for all groups and sides in any mission I play. Because it was like that with GL2 and all the other AI features ECP included. Also that removed the requirement to add additional addons to a mission when editing. Load the game with ECP to edit a mission did mean enhancements present. Load the same mission without ECP: Enhancements gone mission playable without.

PS: I know it's documented that here it's not like this. The appearing resource tags are just implying for me.

Probably I would like to see:

- An additional release of the Group Link 4 sqs and sqf files for mission editors who would like to make addon free missions with an uptodate follower of GL2 scripts.

- A coming up to my ECP like expectations and let all AI enhancements be automatically running in any mission I play while using GL4 SFX. Requiring your GL4 scripts being able to handle multiple opposing sides simultaneously. Users should be able to deactivate every single AI feature from the GL4_Local.sqf.

Edited by Trapper

Hi Sinkman,

thx for ya effort.

Would it be possible to implement GL4 into SixUpdater?

Hey Trapper, check out SLX. It has GL3 enabled for every group, even for those created during the mission. It is also modular which means that you can disable its other features like the new wounding system.

This would be golden! Its the only thing im missing in GL4 at the moment. :yay:

The problem with all the enemy advancing to your position is the ai reenforcement request. or so i think....

I solved the problem by lowering the radius, default is 50000, to 10, 1 or 5 under:

// Enemy A.I. Distance:
     // Choose the distance in which enemy A.I. should be able to request reinforcement.
     // Note: Enemy A.I. which had spotted a enemy will be able to request reinforcement which is within this range.
     // 0 / 50000, default is 50000
       // GL4_Global set [2, 1];

@SNKMAN

is that setting Meters or Kilometers?

Thanx for this absolutely fantastic MOD, and getting it on sixupdater :-)

Edited by markushaze

@nuggetz

Well to me Group Link 4 works just greate.

Never had such a situation you told. :)

But to make sure you could run Group Link 4 standalone with no other mods just for a try.

@Trapper

I remembered GL2 which was available as pure script resource for OFP - which was later on included in ECP

Nope belive me when i say i know every single code of E.C.P. and never found something simular to Group Link.

Why is the group spawn documentation placed in the listing features.pdf when it belongs to the other documentations in the readme.pdf?

Pretty simple the "Group Spawn" is a feature of Group Link 4 so i put it into the Features.pdf.

The whole Group Link 4 Enemy A.I. Enhancement is setup to effect all units of a side when initialized.

No. You can customize which groups should be initialized with the Enemy A.I. Enhancement by synchronizing the given groups with the "Group Link 4: Custom" module.

An additional release of the Group Link 4 sqs and sqf files for mission editors who would like to make addon free missions with an uptodate follower of GL2 scripts.

Well yes the first 30 beta ( None Public ) versions of Group Link 4 was script based only.

But everyone told me to make it AddOn based. So i made it AddOn based again.

It really is impossible to match the need of every single user.

If a day would have 48 hours and i would need no sleep, then i may would be able to support a script and AddOn based version but that's not the case. :)

Users should be able to deactivate every single AI feature from the GL4_Local.sqf.

Have you already checked the "GL4_Global.sqf" ?

All A.I. features are set in the "GL4_Global.sqf" not "GL4_Local.sqf".

@Sickboy

Thanks for adding. ;)

@suveraan

Already coded and working. ;)

@markushaze

This value is in meters and it set how far Enemy A.I. which likes to request reinforcement can look for A.I. of their side to request them.

So if you set this to 1 then enemy A.I. can only request reinforcement if the group is closer then 1 meter to the calling group. :D

A possible value for example would be 5000 and higher.