Sign in to follow this  
mr burns

Desert Strike Mission - scripting help needed

The Apache included with the 1.05 patch somehow reminded me of a game from my earlier videogaming days.

For a start i want to rebuild the first Desert Strike mission,

copying the whole readme and setting up similar tasks, as close as possible to the original,

putting it on Quesch Kibrul Island by floosy

But it all depends on some rather simple scripts that i cannot make myself.

Look at join date and be aware that still i have close to zero scripting knowledge, it´s simply incompatible with me.

check if

• flying height < 10m
  • radial distance from object < 3m
    if checks succeed
  • play winch sound (\s\winch.wss)
  • load person
    deploy winch and attach person,
    store up to 7 persons, when landing at marker "HQ" or "FOB" respawn person and domove "objectname"
  • load ammunition crate
  • load fuel barrels
    deploy winch and attach object,
    winch object, delete it and refill ammo or fuel to 100%

check if

• damage > 0.2
    if check succeeds
  • setdamage 1
  • place object in rubble randomly (pool: Machine Gunner East, AmmoBox, Fuel Barrels, US Captive, nothing)

Any help would be appreciated!

The Apache included with the 1.05 patch somehow reminded me of a game from my earlier videogaming days.

For a start i want to rebuild the first Desert Strike mission,

copying the whole readme and setting up similar tasks, as close as possible to the original,

putting it on Quesch Kibrul Island by floosy

But it all depends on some rather simple scripts that i cannot make myself.

Look at join date and be aware that still i have close to zero scripting knowledge, it´s simply incompatible with me.

Any help would be appreciated!

To check for damage you can use

getdammage object > number - where object is the item being damaged and number is the value for the damage from 0 to 1

I'll have a look at the rest of it later and post a script for you.

Edited by USMC_Snipa

I was thinking about making something similar to Jungle Strike or Urban Strike.

(getPos hind select 2) > 50

That will check to see if the helicopter (hind) is below 50 meters. If it goes above that the trigger will kick in. Put it into the Condition field of a trigger.

If you want below 10 just change the 50 to a 10 and switch the sign to a <

(getPos hind select 2) < 10
If it is supposed to say something about pulling up or something like that then you might want to switch the trigger to repeat.

This is from Mr. Murrays editing guide and may help:

Sometimes it might be needed that the distance of two units or objects has to be used

as condition to run a script or execute a trigger. To do this just use following syntax:

Player distance Jeep1<= 50 or Player distance Jeep1 == 50

Local variable value allocated: _distance = Player distance Jeep1

Later in the Text:

titleText [format["%1 Meters", Player distance Jeep1], "plain down"]

Edited by Jakerod

Nice! I remember Desert Strike the game, for the Sega Genesis. At least, that's the version I had. Can't wait to see these missions Mr. Burns!

oh man the strike games!

I owned all of them, I even had Nuclear and soviet strike on the playstation 1 back in the day untill I went Pc gaming.

something awesome!

Sorry to crash your party here but what is the AH-64 classname? Searched til my fingers got blue lol...

"AH64D" withouth the quotes, quite simple actually :D

For objects & vehicles you can always just drop one in the editor, save mission and when you open the mission.sqm it´ll be listed as the only entry in class Groups, look for the line where it says vehicle="AH64D"; and there you go. No more blue fingers ;)

Nice! I remember Desert Strike the game, for the Sega Genesis. At least, that's the version I had. Can't wait to see these missions Mr. Burns!
oh man the strike games!

I owned all of them, I even had Nuclear and soviet strike on the playstation 1 back in the day untill I went Pc gaming.

something awesome!

hehe, im feelin you guys! Been playing all parts on Genesis too, and later Soviet Strike on the PSX ... still remember the santa sled and some immortal silver tank from some of the missions. At times i just flew around and blasted everything to pieces, oh the fun...

Having the first 3 parts on my Wii´s Genesis emulator really helps to keep motivation and ideas flowing :D

Can´t wait myself on finishing this. Firstly because mission editing sucks (lol) and secondly because it´s quite fun already even in it´s unfinished and still rather simple state. Yet nobody seems able/willing to help with the mentioned (crucial) scripts, so it might take a little longer.

Edited by Mr Burns

Sorry for hijacking and thanks Burns. :)

Oddly enough i DID test with that classname and nothing worked. Then today i did the same and bam - there it was... And yes - good point Burns about popping it into the editor and check the mission.sqm. My head is slow.

Thanks!