Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ArmA2 1.05 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

plz fix the god damn ai..commanding a squad is no fun anymore..thats just ridiculous...

1.05 made it so AI dont follow you, if they're engaged this is a huge problem, also alot more wallhacking with AI etc.

AI is not functioning correctly.

Still have bad performance in Chernarus, towns near alot of Vegitation.

why is there no one reading this topic!

D/l the patch yourself and install it, simple.

why is there no update to 1.05 for steam??????

Because for Steam updates, that would require the patch to be several GBs large, which it is not if you just download it. So, as Steakslim says, download it and install it manually.

Because for Steam updates, that would require the patch to be several GBs large, which it is not if you just download it. So, as Steakslim says, download it and install it manually.

One of the reasons i bought it on steam was not having to deal with patches. And i must say i find it surprising if patches cant be released as binary diffs on Steam.

Im dissapointed in 1.05 AI. It should be the top priority in the beta to fix it. It should have been hotfixed allready.

Its not even mentioned in the latest beta. The AI stick in place when enemy are detected. They will not regroup or follow move command. It is horrible. How on earth did the official patch get released like this?

BIS EXPIRED THE TICKET FOR THIS ISSUE!!!!!

http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/7604

I still think there is still significant AI pathing/routing issue with 1.05 update. Often times, my teammates get stucked between buidlings. Somtimes, I order them to board a helo, they will keep banging their heads against the tail of the plane, not entering it. Often times, I need switch between team memebers to get them unstucked.

Im dissapointed in 1.05 AI. It should be the top priority in the beta to fix it. It should have been hotfixed allready.

They're probably gonna fix it when they release the patch for OA compatibility, afaik the Ai in OA is improved and there are even rumours of it using buildings! :)

The voice acting.

I was just looking in the arrowhead thread, someone made a joke about it..

It's funny, but (and i hate to compare) look at other serious "Cinematic" games, you'll find they hire profssional actors to voice their game characters, and in the end.. it makes a big difference.

- Some games make you feel immersed in a believable world...

Arma's voice acting on the other hand, actually makes me cringe at times.. And there are big delays inbetween the sound-bytes, which again.. breaks the immersion and helps only to remind you..

"This guy only has 3 recorded sentences."

But, i've been playing since the original OFP. I know that BI was creating whole islands whilst other Devs were making box-room by box-room linear-rail shooters.. So i know the focus is on "other things"

It's just, personally, i feel that this area is waaaay up there, in terms of priority, and it often gets overlooked. Its also prevalent in animation/cinematics editing..

Anyway ill stop rambling, maybe im the only person to feel this strongly about it ;) - Oh and keep up the good work, looking forward to arrowhead

I agree, good voice acting adds a lot to a game. But in the case of Arma 2 I SERIOUSLY couldn't care less.

I guess I am used to it. I kind of like those goofy bastards and their "ENEMY- MACHINE GUNNER- FAR- oh my leg!"

They are my special little guys!

When i try and "show off" my ARMA 2 which ive talked up, soo much to my friends, and said how you can do this and do that, and mid-mission with lovely tracers lighting the sky etc and then suddenly "Man .(Lunar cycle) . front . . far" "Men close . (My 30th Bday) . in front" It just makes them laugh and i just get the look of shame lolol and they lose intrest in the game. Personaly though id rather the Ai could be slightly more detailed wiht thier description of where contact is coming from rather than "front" and "far" seriosly, you might as well say "HE'S NEXT TO THAT TREE!!!" in a forest.

Wow yeh.. i had actually forgot about the in-combat voice.

I was talking about in the singleplayer missions, where people are giving you objectives.. like when you're on the aircraft carrier.. etc.

Personally i can put up with the MAN.. FRONT.. CLOSE stuff because thats such an improvement on Arma1 - its quite informative. (and in truth ive turned off the actual voice because im using ACE2) :D

It just makes them laugh and i just get the look of shame lolol and they lose intrest in the game.

you see friend... that's what's wrong. If they lose interest in the game BECAUSE of the bad voice acting then I guess this game is not for them.

What makes ARMA great is the potential. The freedom. The fact that there so many ways to tackle the mission.

Apparently your friends consider voice acting more important than game play. Don't even try to get them into arma. They will probably whine about some other outlandish shit.

Out of my dozen gamer friends I managed to 'turn' only four of them and I've stopped trying. It's a lost cause dude.

Yes, it is absolutely horrid and I hope that BIS realizes that their once revolutionary engine will soon be outdated and unimpressive with the coming advancements in gaming. They cannot afford to keep ignoring such facets of game creation and expect to keep making money.

note: This is not a hate post, I'm just being a pragmatist. Google Infinity-Universe and you'll see what I mean.

Who cares about the voice acting. The generic voice acting in game is fine and the cheesy nonsense from the campaign/single missions is awful but tbh, I didn't buy the game for that.

Sure big studios hire voice talent etc and their games still stink. I'll take the BIS approach any day. They spend the money where it counts.

isn't this like the 10,000th thread on this? :rolleyes:

anyway i actually never found the voices to be that annoying, yeh they are pretty poor in places but a) i zone out to them and b) you can dload mods to remove the voices.

do you guys realize how many sentences they would have to record to make everything sound good? If i were a game developer making this kind of game, where voices are not the focus, i wouldnt bother with it. I think it is fine as it is.

Merged voice acting thread into here.

Shame, because the voice acting was introduced with the game, not the patch.

And again, im not talking about the automated-target-calling thats added together on-the-run.. that's not that bad.

Its the pre-recorded sentences you hear in briefing rooms and when everyone takes a knee... and the god awful attempts at 'banter' in the back of the chopper.

They just dont cut it.. compared to other 'cinematic' games. - They're ok.. better than some games, but kinda remind me of a cheesey 80's B-movie where the acting seems 'forced'

I'm just trying to give my opinion, if your going to try and be cinematic.. step it up a notch, hire professional voice actors. Real ones.

Or focus on what you do best - open-ended freedom.

And avoid jumping on the.. 'we need a "CINEMATIC" campaign with lots of bad voice acting" because you really dont... just a few replayable/random missions and the ability to make your own. Personally ive played the singleplayer campaign once, and its 100x better than ofp and arma, but meh.. Perhaps im alone ;)

Lol, well, there's nothing they can do about that. You really think it's realistic for them to change all of the voice acting in the scenarios post-release (Arma 2)/this close to release (OA)? :butbut:

I agree that the voice acting in the official scenarios is awful (apart from a couple of the voice actors), however. But I can easily live with it. Hey, what about making a mod that replaces those with voices done by the community?

Edited by Zipper5

Sigh. - No its unrealistic and unwanted for them to waste money/time changing arma2.

The original post was about voice acting in general, thats why i posted it in a new topic...

as preperation for the new game/addon coming out..

But sadly it got moved into this topic and kind of lost the point. (hint).

Still, the point being (for those who say it doesnt matter) is that your trying to trick/immerse yourself through the computer.. You can only do it with 2 senses, sight and sound.. So being that the voices are 50% of the conviction that you have a soldier standing infront of you.. Might be nice if he actually sounded like he knew what he was talking about..

----------------------------------------------------

Ok, and i was doubting how bad it was.. Then i googled "Arma2 campaign voice acting"

- one of the first results coming up. Watch that and tell me there's nothing wrong.

Also, the top result was titled:

"In the history of gaming, ArmA2 has the worst voice acting in any ..."

- at least im not alone.

Edited by Stilton

realistically most real soldier banter IS cheesy/and horribly voice acted ;)

it also almost always infringes on copy write laws too :p

also alot of the time the guy telling you stuff has no idea what he is talking about

arma 2 is teh realitikz!

I suppose its not really valid request considering how the game handles animations in general..

I mean it would be almost impossible for them to get the guy in that video, to have the correct stances and inflections for his speech patterns because of the way the AI's constantly running awareness checks and always doing AI-stuff on the fly.. Like the automated/disconnected blinking.. head swivelling.. etc. So they cant just have him run an animation that ignores everything going on in the game world, because of armas fantastic randomness..

Whereas in the cinematic shooters.. they just turn off all the AI, turn off the player-control so hes viewing through a camera.. play well-acted well-animated animations..

Someone dies, the animations stop and then it all goes back to normal again..

But you cant have that in arma because of the 'freedom' which is harsh

- Still, as im not a dev, i can suggest the improvement and hope someone works out how they can do it - not me though, im not getting paid :D