Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ArmA2 1.05 Impressions - ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

"Grass now provides concealment also in distance" <- finally :inlove:

lets hope most servers start to force the grass on .. i havnt noticed any difference in performance with grass on or off, it just gets a billion times uglier with no grass .. and looks dated like some 1999 3dfx-game without grass .. and makes me depressed to run around in a counterstrike environment .. maybe .. uhm ..the later part belonged to another thread :)

Okay, first impressions:

My test system at work had errors updating, the game system at home not.

Everything seems to work fine, I do get the impression that I have a slight new "micro lag" when moving around fast.

AI engagement ranges are trough the roof compared with 1.04, seems as good as the Zeus AI mod. Warfare mode has been improved (as in the beta). What hasn't been improved on is that T-90s still get brewed up with about 120 .50cal hits (slightly more than a single magazine). This is a SERIOUS problem since it renders OPFOR tanks about as dangerous as two or three M2-Hummers.

The Apache is an absolute beauty. The view distance improvements (same as beta) are nice.

All in all, no big surprises for those who played the betas, but a solid update with some sweet extra content. Still no magic "performance bullet" though, FPS killer trees still present, and the T-90 bug was known to the developers, should have been fixed by the "Minimalhit" value but isn't.

"new Suppressive fire command"

In one of the beta patches they mentioned the command was removed because it "did nothing", has a working version of the command returned? Don't have the game with me right now so can't try it.

edit: perhaps I should post less impulsively. Already a thread dedicated to it: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=92248

Looking pretty good so far and seeing mostly positive feedback regarding BI's support in comments sections..

Edited by dmitri

Suppresive command...well I can not get it work. It looks like it is functional, but in fact, it does nothing for me. One thing is clear, it doesn't work in that way you point somewhere for suppresive fire. Units don't fire a single bullet.

Can anyone please explain how it is supposed to work? Thanks.

btw Apache is beautiful.

I can't get the suppress command to work either.

On a different note, does anyone know if the "CDF_Soldier_AKM" and "CDF_Soldier_AKS" classes were deliberately removed from 1.05? They are no longer in the editor and you get a warning if you try playing a mission that used to have these units in it.

Okay, I have the most weirdest bug here I've ever seen - please someone confirm this:

When I start a WARFARE based Scenario (Single-Player War Welcomes, or MP Superpowers on my own "LAN Server") and buy the M4 HOLO (the green SpecOps Rifle with Eotech Holo Crosshairs and M203 GL) the SIGHTS are OFF.

The bullet impact is on the top mark of the crosshairs, not on the center point.

However, if I use the same rifle in the Editor, it is perfectly zeroed.

I'm not using any mods (I have a few desert units loaded, but they do not touch weapon configs) and even if some addon was interfering, why should it only happen in certain missions but not the editor?

Totally freaking weird.

I loved the mini campaign. I was completely immersed in it. It captured the same feelings that I experienced when i used to play the operation flashpoint CWC campaign.

The only negative comment I have is that it was too short. I want to find out what happens next! I hope there will be a sequel.

* Airplane Heads-Up displays reworked

SUPER, i like it, thanks BIS!

AH-64D, very nice model! but his to be in want "Stingers", against KA-52...

Not to mention C130 taxi is fixed! It works great on my island, short take off too, woohoo!

* Airplane Heads-Up displays reworked

SUPER, i like it, thanks BIS!

Yay! I like new Heads-Up displays for planes and some choppers =)))

Russian Su-25, doesn't have that big yellow cross anymore and some other ones have really cool displays :)

Also... I really liked EW Campaign and AH-64 (It's really nice model, inside and out except that cross for display). EW itself was cool, hard and surprising...

Also new Warfare mode is really cool, NAPA with T34 FTW!!!! :D

Great Job BIS!!! :)

"Early - Warning"

"East - West"

"Elite - Warriors"

Classic.

AI now run, dive, & do front flips now lol awesome

As always. a damn good job done by bis:)

Thanks for this Christmas Present from you guys.

@Drew

I imagine that was scripted into the EW missions. Have you seen dives and flips occur outside this campaign?

First impressions, from a 90% runthrough of EW and a quick spin in the editor.

...Whether basic mission scripting or new elements enabled via the update, I'm pleased with what appear to be more options for mission makers (or maybe BIS mission makers are just that good)

New mission-elements from EW, or at least new to me:

Ships animated with artillery/rockets...new?

The new (albeit clunky) 3rd-person view for cutscene?

Low ammo call provides a mag image and nav location at the nearest ammo source (dead character or supply spot)

Apache, of course. This jury is still out while I play a bit more. A bit sluggish compared to the AH-1, but more rockets. Is splash damage and fire-stability less on the cannon?

I'm pleased with the AI improvements at this point. Also, since I didn't notice any of the previously common draw-distance annoyances, then I assume the fix is working. (Not noticing a problem means it isn't a problem).

I'm excited to see this element function, not sure on now...just leave everything else as-is, the .exe will access the various addons?

* Automatic launching of user made addons (units, missions etc.) via "pbo" file association with the game

Not sure what to make of this one. Does it keep people from turning into birds?

* DRM free for users of legitimate installs.

For our servers, we are pleased to have the Battleeye option, and we'll explore its operation and efficacy soon.

All in all the new update makes a lot better. AI is now stunning, the new mini campaign is very cool. The AH-64 is a real beauty, the best 3D Model of an Apache I've seen so far. My performance is trough the roof now...It's working just fine.:eek: Great job on that.:)

Some things had been fixed yet but I'am looking forward to next updates in 2010 fixing these as well.

I can't fire or even select the Hydra-Rockets in the Apache (But only in EW in the editor or other missions it works just fine). The T90 can still be blown up with a mag of M2 rounds.

I've got a question. Since I've not managed to test it myself I'll ask it. Do planes sway from one side to the other automaticly using the rudder at high speeds? This was annoying me pretty much because I fly a lot.:D

I really loved the mini campaign. Some plot twists, really stuff you wouldn't expect.

Also several easter eggs makes me give BIS the big thumbs up! :thumb:

Edited by _Hurricane

ok now ya fix some issues and create more????

AI can now shoot through buildings and dense forest where player cant???

AI seem to have a 1 shot kill?

AI shooting from inside walls and trees now???

WTH? anyone test before release????

installed 1.05 But no Bonus Extras Campaign or AH64D expect its a Vista screw up again Any one know where I can get the CA_AH64D.pbo to put in manually. it Won't let me reinstall! The download was full size 277.011kb did not get any errors but none of the 2 extras installed!!

Edited by jgaz-uk
spelling