Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

Patch 1.05 Satisfaction Survey

How satisfied are you with patch 1.05 overall?  

479 members have voted

1. 1. How satisfied are you with patch 1.05 overall?

• Great: I am very satisfied with the patch, it matched or exceeded my expectations
    • Good: I am satisfied with the patch, but I hoped for more
    • Do not care: I have installed the patch, but I did not notice any improvements worth noting
    • Bad: I am not satisfied with the patch

Anyway more people have stopped playing Arma2 because of AI bugs/issues and stuttering graphics eg warping/"breakdancing" units, LOD switching, sky flickering, annoying NVG/HDR.

Exactly. Me today. The patch 1.05 didn't fix anything that was bothering me before, but continues bothering me with new bugs. To mention the points that really drive me nuts:

- game used to be stable with 1.04, yet it crashes, even my dedicated server, after one to three hours of gameplay. Being fed up with Arma2 a while ago, I only played Warfare BE in various versions against AI on my dedicated, because everything else is no longer fun. Yet even this is no fun anymore. Found the enemy HQ today after about four (yes, indeed, four) hours playing. Fired a few rounds from my tank, nothing happend, I escaped tank and was hiding while ordering other tanks to my location. Told them to attack the HQ. NEGATIVE. Got in a tank and shot about ten rounds....... nothing happened. Took a look at my dedicated: "Arma2 has found a problem and must be shut down". Thanks!

- people are discussing about hiding in the grass over distance, even hiding from AI, but my AI still can see beyond hills, forests, buildings.....

- all around the troops is so very unrealistic: pilot seat in choppers so high I can hardly see outside the window, no NV system, no effective countermeasures (even in tanks), damage system is horrible, driving / flying vehicles, weapon ranges / damages

- AI does what it wants, non-tracked vehicles get stuck even at railroads, little stones and tracked vehicles jump in the air like a rubber-ball when hitting rocks, so I spend half of the time driving to the site of the accident trying to flip them

- choppers and AI = joke. Wrong: AI is a joke

- no battlefield management - even my own AI in high command should report any troops so that I could coordinate troops. They do, partly, but only after pressing CTRL+SPACE.

before I continue to list it all........

- the "single threaded" scripting. That's what I call it. AI never seems to do anything before it's finished talking. Driving a tank close to a enemy tank so that we could throw stones at each other, trying to tell my gunner to attack that tank. My commander has already seen the tank and reports it "enemy tank at 123456", during that time I cannot do anything, I have to wait until that message is finished and then tell the gunner to attack it "attack enemy tank at 123456". After that he eventually might target it. Even worse: I told gunner to fire a round being the driver, the round missed, and being nervous I click the mouse five times to fire again. The next round is ready after the first click, but instead of firing at once, it keeps telling me "CANNOT FIRE" nine more times before firing, and then........... fires while enemy is hiding behind a building.

Sorry, Arma2 is reminding me pretty much of the good old Silent Hunter series, which were massively scripted and even after the 9th patch they didn't fix the most annoying problems. Ubisoft is on the list of publishers and developers, I will never buy a game from anymore - welcome to the club Bohemia :)

Sorry for this long post, last day with Arma2, last day in this forum. Anyway, happy new year and don't forget: there's life beyond the screen your facing right now ;)

Excellent patch, the game feels much better now performance wise and nice free content...but.

Calling this game realistic is STILL laughable considering how bad the tank damage and realisim STILL is, non adjustable scopes STILL, AI is still pretty horrible STILL.

They take about an hour to react to being shot and sometimes even have to finish reloading animations before they react etc.

Oh and let's not forget my chopper transport landing on a conrete wall then blowing up because he flew to close to a building.

Edited by thedudesam

Some time ago, I voted BAD in this survey, especially because of the still present popping up of textures. After trying out a bit (and some serious configuration attemps in the menu), I managed to tune the game to a state where it works somehow (i.e. popping up is not so annoying and present mainly when zooming or turning around wildly).

BUT WHAT THE HELL do you mean by STILL having SHAFTOE DEAD in Manhattan even in 1.05?!?!?!? People have been complaying about it from the very beginning and its still there. Today, I found Lagushina on the road, talked to her and waited for radio confirmation which didnt come. So I took a car and returned to FOB only to find the bastard lying in a pool of blood under his table!!!! Now I have to restart the entire mission again and hope it doesnt happen????? CHRIST!!!!!!

Very good patch that made my copy of Arma 2 finaly playable on my rig.

This patch realy improved performance for me. And for the first time I see AI drivers to handle road turns well. Good thing is that units in long distance view are hidden like being subsided into ground. And plus some good thing's that have newer been seen in previus OFP/A1 games. Nice one BIS!

I was going to post a mission that I started before the patch but the AI is so broken now that the timing is all shot to sh*t. No point trying to fix it until the AI gets fixed - if it gets fixed. Is there any official response from BIS about this?

Please finish this game before you release another.

What can I say :(

It's not going good for me at all :(

My system should be fine specs wise - i7, 6 gig of ram and a 5970, (windows7...but still)

:butbut:

but I can't get any joy from it.

Textures flashing and freeze crashing, quite frustrating to say the least. (there are other things but I don't like to whine :P )

I have tried a few of the tweaks on the forum but so far nothing worth smiling about, looks to be a 'bit' rushed out the door.

I hope it gets sorted out at some point until then I will give it a miss.

Shame this could have been a total classic.. I hope it gets sorted out.

Edited by YerBawz

before u added the distance tweak, it was running better, like with the distance tweak from kju..on this patch, the textures are loading slower for my computer, for some reason, i don't know why..i switched to win7 and game crashes once a day, on vista64 only once in 3 months..and the biggest prob i have is the god damn AI, like other guys posted before. i always liked to command my squad, but now, as they only are in that combat mode, and cover each other, it is impossible to play with Ai, that ruins the whole game, and you should fix that very fast, i think that problem came up with 1.05 or with one of the last 04-beta's ..somewhere in the middle of beta releases, the ai was really awesome, but now its ****. i've read about the theories that you bis-guys are implementing sth., and soon the ai will work again, combined the the new stuff..and this is some kind of military simulation, not an ego-shooter like cod, so commanding your ai-inf squad is very important. PLZ DO STH. thx

edit: plz start NOW with releasing betas on the beta page, like u did on 1.04, if u got sth. new, just release it..that would be nice..

Every 4 to 8 seconds the damn game pauses for a second and is driving me nutz, is it this patch?

I agree with CrazyAce - I have exactly the same problem now after having applied the 1.05 patch - the screen freezes for a second every 10 seconds or so. This is the ONLY time and only version of Arma2 that has caused me this problem.

Hope you can fix it! In the meantime I have reloaded the game and patched it up to 1.04. At this level I am very staisfied with the game.

Is it just me, or is the bloom in the new Apache a little overdone? Makes it very hard to fly during the day with the sun behind you.

8wd3ex.jpg

I was also having some serious performance problems on Windows 7 64-bit while I was up in the air. It seemed to freeze every once in a while.

Edited by Nicholas

N00b stylee question here; if I patch 1.05 will my official & addon campaign savegames load?

This looks like an awsome patch, but I can't play the game now. Whenever I try to start it up, I just get a message that says "Display adapter does not support format D24S8 for X8R8G8B8". Has anyone else encountered this problem? Also, some possibly important info:

I just downloaded the full ACE package,

I downloaded and installed patch 1.5 off of armaholic, because I have steam and it hasn't automatically updated yet,

While installing I got some sort of vague message that the install maybe hadn't been done right. I just ignored it since my secuirity seems to think any download is a serious threat

While installing it was stuck on 100% complete for almost as long as the rest of the install

Never mind that last post. It worked after I re-booted my comp. I'm trying out the new campaign right now. But first I gotta re-learn how to fly a helicopter.

I'm quite happy with it, still some issues with turrets in tanks, not being able to zoom in as a commander in some tanks and commanding the regular Abrams is a pain because the commander is swung back and forth with the gunner, but these things, or at least some of them has been fixed by the "Proper" team.

Still some issues with the AI flying into trees, or stalling aircrafts on a "search and destroy" mission, even tho' the patch was to fix these things, the AI is at times very good, and at times dumbfounded, infantry AI that is, the vehicle AI is kind of, well sorry to write this, still rather awkward.

But my main problem now, as the above things hopefully will be fixes in time.

At times when I'm to exit the game i'm presented with a grey screen, and I need to kill the ArmA 2 process.

This never happened before.

Hi, I just installed Armed assault 2. Do I have to download previous patches in order to upgrade to patch 1.05?

No!

===SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS===

* ANY ORIGINAL VERSION OF ARMA 2 from 1.00 to 1.04 (including the Steam version, note that Verify file cache and autoupdate will not work properly until the full 1.05 is also out directly on Steam)

* DirectX 9 from August 2009 or newer is required and should be updated during the patching process automatically as needed or you can update your version of DirectX from www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/

Oh and as a note, don't do as a friend of mine and try installing the BETA 1.05.6xxx patch thinking that includes the stable v1.05, it doesn't.

The patch is good, but there is so much more to fix.

Today the medic refused to heal my character another time while he was lying on the ground calling for help.

My AI squad mates also refuse to follow my orders regularly which is extremely annoying.

If I tell them to move away from the enemy and cease fire I'll mean it. Nothing is more enfuriating than to have to play a certain moment in a mission over and over again just because my squad doesn't do what I demand.

The friendly AI can't even follow me properly.

Today I sneaked into Novy Sobor without getting detected my OPFOR. I tried to kill every enemy silently and unnoticed. I accessed the city undetected with my squad and decided to leave them at one spot to scout the area alone. I Told them to cease fire, not to move and stay prone. While scouting I noticed gun shots. My squad still drew attention even though I told them to be silent.

I know they screwed up because I resided at their location alone just a few moments before while an enemy car passed me by and it didn't notice me because of my camoflage (the whole squad had the same one) and because I didn't move.

When I observed my squad members in the same situation however they constantly rotated on their spots. Unsuprisingly they got detected. It seems like you can't tell the AI to stay perfectly still, which is really needed.

I tried various ways to solve the problem. In the end I had to reload a previous save and take my squad with me. Then I noticed that your squad can't even follow you properly. You can't tell them where to go precisely. If I want them to move to one side of a building directly in front of me, my character will just shout out: "Move to ..., 50 meters". I don't want them to move 50m at minimum I want to place them where I need them.

The result was that they all took different routes to my location (no matter if I told them to follow me or to move to my position by map or tactics menu), careless, no matter what caution mode they were in, and some of them got detected as a consequence. Cover blown, stealth gone. Thank you, dear squad mates.

There was no way to continue in stealth.

The next thing is that the AI units most of the time don't bother to find cover if they are under fire. This is true for friendly and enemy AI. I don't know why a commander should order his squad to go to cover every time the squad is fired upon. Everyone should also try to look out for his own life on his own at times of great danger to life.

I don't know what real soldiers learn to do, but I can't imagine that they learn to just lie down in hope of not getting killed. Of course it is better than nothing but they should try to find cover or at least concealment.

Also the spotting of enemy units through multiple walls and objects is pretty immersion breaking. My character: "Enemy, far, 200 meters!" -> Oh, really? Strange that I'm just looking straight into a brick wall and I'm still getting this notifier.

Edited by MrXToTheN

I still have a lot of corrupted save game files under 1.05. I have to delete them and/or change the names to revert back to an earlier part in a mission or campaign.

I just reinstalled since upgrading from my X2/4GB/4890 rig, and it ran well then, but now, wow...all four cores between 60-85% at all times, it's great.

The old x2 rig was very good tho, still is, 3.55ghz, great memory, lots of it, vista 32 bit, and a 4890 (950mhz core, 1025 mem, stable!) and although was very playable, it always had frame rate issues, especially near towns with a lot going on, etc etc.

The new rig (Windows 7 Pro x64), I'm only using a simple 1TB HDD, nothing special, loads perfectly, no issues, the frame rate (I even tested putting the 4890 in this PC to see how much difference the 965 with 790 chipset would make, just incredible) went up nearly 40% in the rough area's, and in area's where it's wide open, or at night, the frame rates are VERY high and awesome.

It's so weird, now... The game runs so smooth I can't get used to it, it surprises me every time I load in, it's just incredible how much a newer platform can help. I won't go so far to say it's "all" because of the Cpu or Chipset, but there's no doubt my old platform was holding that 4890 back, I proved it very easily.

Now, heh, it just runs so absolutely perfect, I don't think the frame rate has fallen below 60 one time since finishing this PC. I can honestly say Arma 2 had a lot to do with this build, except I wound up not going with a RAID setup or any SSD solution, at least not for now. Yet still, absolutely no issues, the hard drive keeps up "perfectly"! (I honestly never thought this possible after watching the performance monitor lol, CRAZY HDD activity while playing!)

I must say, I did run 1.4 a little before the 1.5, and there is improvement, it seems more optimized, it uses more of my available Ram(I'm now using 8GB DDR3 dual channel 1066, not the triple channel, had too many problems with it, and haven't noticed any difference at all, plus I'll OC when necessary) and eats up all the Vram necessary, and before with 1.4 I don't recall the sim using so much of the Cpu, I think it's "really" taking advantage of that L3 cache, and it's chewing right through the physics and AI like it's nothing.

GREAT WORK And totally badass to see for myself first hand the difference a patch can make, and thanks for the content, I'm a pilot, so it was a real treat :)

I hope this has been mentioned before but there is a major annoyance when it comes to the CTI maps when deploying the mobile HQ. Games often end up completely wiping out because one side gets the mobile hq stuck in the freaking sea this is something that should either get hotfixed immediately or made a priority for the next patch.

I really do have to applaud the direction that Bohemia are taking though, not only are they going back to the old way of actually fixing the games through patches but they've even gone and made their game DRM free. If only every damn developer would take this direction then they'd probably be making even more money than they are now.

I hope this has been mentioned before but there is a major annoyance when it comes to the CTI maps when deploying the mobile HQ. Games often end up completely wiping out because one side gets the mobile hq stuck in the freaking sea this is something that should either get hotfixed immediately or made a priority for the next patch.

I really do have to applaud the direction that Bohemia are taking though, not only are they going back to the old way of actually fixing the games through patches but they've even gone and made their game DRM free. If only every damn developer would take this direction then they'd probably be making even more money than they are now.

+1 What he said.

I'm kind of hoping some kind of Windows Live integration can help with the DRM issues, but what then of opensource? Uhg.. I don't know.

But absolutely must give props to BIS for doing it exactly how they did, and still are.

I'm really satisfied with the performance boost the 1.05 patch was introducing for me, but sadly the game crashes quite a lot now, which it didn't before.

See Stability Survey.