Sign in to follow this  
KingBeast

Greedy windows me

I know this is way way way off topic and probably the completely wrong place to look for help on this matter but hey, ill give it a shot.

There is a feature in windows ME caleld System Restore. It backs up files and settings so that in the event of an emergency you can restore your system. Great idea isnt it?

Nah not really, it even backs up copies of viruses which is convenient. I have 3 viruses on my computer, all of them quarantined in my systems restore folder.

Anyway I have restore disabled, but i recently discovered my system restore "TEMP" folder has 4 gigabyes of information within.

Understandably i am an angry man, for this 4 gig is just about half of my HDD capacity.

The thing is i cannot delete ANY of the files, whenever i try it says that the files are in use. Though as far as I can see, they are not. Any help please? sad.gif

It's offtopic but this is Offtopic wink.gif

Well just go to DOS and delete the files from there.

Hmm thankyou i would have done that, but i just discovered that i DIDNT have systems restore disabled, which is kind of worrying because im sure i did.

Well i just disabled it and restarted, now i have to delete 33,281 files manually mad.gif

lol sorry for the bother

LOL just delete the folder and make a new one biggrin.gif

XP is only good for a frisbee.

I dont think im ready to dump ME just yet, it is my old faithful.

However, bill gates should probably be shot in the face for creating a utility to restore a system that takes 50% of your HDD space :/

Xp is way better than ME....unless of course you are still in love with the blue screen of death...in that case I whole-heartedly recommend ME tounge.gif

System Restore in XP actually saved a friend of mine's computer.

System Restore saved my computer many times. Windows XP prof system restore is the same as Windows ME system restore. There's nothing wrong with winMe system restore.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Damage Inc @ April 04 2002,13:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The problem is just that it's completely useless tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Your posts are completley useless. tounge.gif

yes many time i mucked about with drivers etc and encoutered probs but system restore or driver rollback saved me endless greiff

kb i dont know about ME but i do know xp can have the restore size altered to suit what u want

yes many time i mucked about with drivers etc and encoutered probs but system restore or driver rollback saved me endless greiff

kb i dont know about ME but i do know xp can have the restore size altered to suit what u want

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (R. Gerschwarzenge @ April 04 2002,13:16)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">System restore works great in XP. I wouldn't recommend ME to anyone.<span id='postcolor'>

I would .... to my annoying sister smile.gif she has this "New more advanced Windows ME" and I have this "Crappy old Win98se" Luckily my win98se can stay up for 2 weeks continuously and her Windows ME can stay up for 4 minutes if she uses it biggrin.gif