Sign in to follow this  
suma

Do not use large pictures in signatures

When using picture in signature, do not use pictures higher than 100 pixels.

Using large pictures in signatures takes a lot of space, makes page loading slower and also makes navigating forum more difficult.

Users that will use pictures higher than 100 pixles will have them removed from their signature.

Several users that had very large pictures in their signatures had their singnatures changed to links to pictures only. If they want their pictures back again, we ask them to use them small, otherwise we will disable iconboard features in signatures completely.

The pic that i normally use is 320 x 240 pixels, how can i change this to 100 pixels? Plz help me out biggrin.gif

First, as far is i know, i don't have any pic editing app. Actually i don't even know what that is biggrin.gif

second: Where do i select Resize? confused.gif

ACDSee has some rudimentary image manipulation capability. It's a great image browser too.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ April 05 2002,15:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW, there's an option in the accounts Option/View board settings to disable viewing of other peoples sig. Can't they just use that?<span id='postcolor'>

I think it should be disabled by default... Huge signatures can really scare away new people on from the forums, as they make the posts itself hard to read if 80% of the page you are trying to read is full of peoples signature pics. At least forums that allow images in signatures make me leave the forum immediately, the change to this new forum almost made me leave here too but I then disabled all signatures so it doesnt matter me anymore. But im sure it makes this forum look non professional in the eyes of people who come here just to discuss about OFP matters, not to wander around the webpage trying to find the actual posts.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ April 04 2002,15:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">BTW, there's an option in the accounts Option/View board settings to disable viewing of other peoples sig. Can't they just use that?<span id='postcolor'>

To help anyone you does not want to view other members signatues:

Go to Your control panel on top of the forum page, then select Account options, then select Do you wish to view members signatures when reading threads? - No.

Ah, great. Didn't know the board had this feature.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ April 07 2002,13:02)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ALDEGA @ April 06 2002,12:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Ah, great. Didn't know the board had this feature.<span id='postcolor'>

I did not know it too, before Intruder mentioned it.

If it would be possible to set this by default off for all users,  so that only people that really wish to view signatures would see them, we would gladly do it, but I do not know if (and how) it is possible.<span id='postcolor'>

This board is a CGI script, with its source visible, right? And you are a programmer... Source+Programmer=Anything is possible wink.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Kegetys @ April 08 2002,19:23)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">This board is a CGI script, with its source visible, right? And you are a programmer... Source+Programmer=Anything is possible wink.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I am afraid you have forgotten something in your equation. Correct should be:

Source+Programmer+A lot of time=Anything is possible

sad.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Intruder @ April 09 2002,14:20)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Where my post go? I see people quoting from it  sad.gif<span id='postcolor'>

As this topic is pinned, I cleaned it a little bit to be more usefull for most people.

So i take it there have been people complaining to the moderaters about page loading problems and whatnot, due to huge signiture pictures?

I dont want to sound like i'm trying to take liberties on this forum, but if this initiative is being passed because of the personal opinions of the Mod's, then i'm with intruder on simply making it a default option to not have signitures visable unless you, the surfer, want them to be.

My signiture pic is 126 pixels in height. Its not hard at all (I would hope we could all agree on this), to skip to the next post down from mine, and it doesnt take all that long to load, even on a 56k. I think its well within reason, but since the limit has been un negotiably set at 100 pixels in height, i would be technicly out of line in this matter. I will , however, be making the small cropping to it, because i wish to keep it in my signiture, since theres no room to use an avatar as big as i would like.

All i'm saying is that some consideration should be put into not limitting the self expression and creativity of the people here, since even a large picture posted in a thread, or simply a really long reply can also make a page load considerably slower.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ April 10 2002,04:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So i take it there have been people complaining to the moderaters about page loading problems and whatnot, due to huge signiture pictures?<span id='postcolor'>

We try to limit signatures mostly because of "look and feel" of the forum - loading time is secondary problem (unless pictures are real huge). As Kegetys mentioned before in this thread, large signatures make new people "scared of the forum".

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">...then i'm with intruder on simply making it a default option to not have signitures visable unless you, the surfer, want them to be.<span id='postcolor'>

We would be really glad to make it this way - unfortunatelly we think this is not possible in Ikonboard 3.0.1 engine. The only thing we are able to do easily is to completely disable Ikonboard features in signatures - which we think would be too strict.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Suma @ April 10 2002,09:06)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The only thing we are able to do easily is to completely disable Ikonboard features in signatures - which we think would be too strict.<span id='postcolor'>

Yeah, that would make me feel that people around here are too imature to listen to reason and this forum would easily get stamped as a "kindergarden-forum" biggrin.gif

Aculaud, like my new sig? Like yours so borrowed the idea. Hope you don't mind. Took about 5 minutes in photoshop.

Not at all man, looks great!

Iv seen people with avatars like that, that say things like "OFP Mofo" (WKK Gimbal), "OFP Mom" (The Avon Lady), etc. Iv always considered myself an intruder in life, so i made the OFP interloper pic for myself.

Yours looks great smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ April 12 2002,05:22)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Not at all man, looks great!

Iv seen people with avatars like that, that say things like "OFP Mofo" (WKK Gimbal), "OFP Mom" (The Avon Lady), etc. Iv always considered myself an intruder in life, so i made the OFP interloper pic for myself.

Yours looks great smile.gif<span id='postcolor'>

I consider my self an Intruder as well tounge.gif

I think a lot of sigs are to big, but punishing the rest of us is not an option. mad.gif

I always had a small, discreet sig. I just don't like large imagery on a forum, but would rather endure the large one's than loosing mine. confused.gif

Gotcha, no higher than 100 pixels, it looks like at least we can keep it a bit wide though judging from what I saw on some peeps sigs, right?

I finally made new avatar. "Haunt" comes from Thief: The Dark Project, it's the only monster that had scared me to death in games wow.gif.