Sign in to follow this  
MulleDK19

Bohemia Interactive's future ARMA 3!

What do you think?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Awesome, I really, really want this!
    • Would be cool, but I don't really care.
    • No, I don't like it that much.
    • You're an idiot.

possibilities' date=' yes, but this is a mil sim, not an action movie (sim?) game[/quote']

And since when did people not collapse or fly when being shot or blown away in war?

It's probably nowhere near as easy as you guys say to implement these features.

It's not that difficult. Non the less, the effort is hugely rewarded.

I'm only on a 2GB system, and I'm constantly getting into memory problems. As I use Arma to also make stuff with (as opposed to only play), I have a ton of web pages up at any given moment, probably some Photoshop or Audition, pluss fsm and code editor up as well. Memory is a concern.

As for more data on disk, well, sure, size of HD is not an issue. But it would take longer to access it.

Why would you have photoshop running with arma2? Face palm.

You still didn't get my point. Would you rather buy a new $250 dollar cpu or another $50 2 gb set of ddr2? The answer is obvious, and anybody will have memory problems running that many programs in the background. Sorry for the blunt answer, but i'm tired and dont want to type so much.

We need more memory based physics than cpu based physics. We have LOTS of memory. It would be better to have a large capacity static based physics system than a high cpu stressing dynamic based physics systems. Basicaly have a massive data collection of physics anims and possibilities. This is similar to what arma2 uses already except for some reason BIS is afraid to add in more data for some reason. EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE HUGE HD's AND MEMORY AMOUNTS NOW!

Static physics? lol... Static dynamics, lol...

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:16 AM ----------

Why would you have photoshop running with arma2? Face palm.

You still didn't get my point. Would you rather buy a new $250 dollar cpu or another $50 2 gb set of ddr2? The answer is obvious, and anybody will have memory problems running that many programs in the background. Sorry for the blunt answer, but i'm tired and dont want to type so much.

I'd much rather buy a new CPU than more RA memory. And you don't need the worlds fastest CPU to calculate physics.

Edited by MulleDK19

I got back to playing GTA IV, and I still love running down all those crazy pedestrians, and watch them fly, mwuhaahahaha...

...Or drive by going 30 kmh (18.6 mph) jump out of the car, start rolling, bump into an enemy, and see him fall to the ground, then get up and blast him.

Just Cause 2 is this way ---->

Static physics? lol... Static dynamics, lol...

Yeah it sounds kind of funny lol. But the context seems to work. Solution storage rather than solving solutions on the fly. Stored animations. :yay:

---------- Post added at 12:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

I'd much rather buy a new CPU than more RA memory. And you don't need the worlds fastest CPU to calculate physics.

I think most of everybody but you has acknowledged that ArmA2 cannot put anymore load on the cpu.

Yeah it sounds kind of funny lol. But the context seems to work. Solution storage rather than solving solutions on the fly. Stored animations. :yay:

Storing animations: Yes

Storing physics: No. That is just ridiculous.

Storing animations: Yes

Storing physics: No. That is just ridiculous.

Animations are stored solutions to physics problems. Gosh why is it so hard to understand! Why are people even wasting time posting about it.

Why are peole wasting time posting in this thread?

Honestly, what is the point of it? BIS hasn't even announced any ArmA 3... and by the looks of it, ArmA 2 and its expansions are going to be around for a while before any sequel emerges.

Then why dont you just say 'BI should make more death-animations instead of concentrating on ragdolls/euphoria like physics'? That would make it much easier to understand.

I'm only on a 2GB system, and I'm constantly getting into memory problems. As I use Arma to also make stuff with (as opposed to only play), I have a ton of web pages up at any given moment, probably some Photoshop or Audition, pluss fsm and code editor up as well. Memory is a concern.

As for more data on disk, well, sure, size of HD is not an issue. But it would take longer to access it.

Us that still use 2GB systems to game on are a dying breed. We haven't kept up with evolution, and every passing day makes us more of a minority. Can hardly expect ArmA3 if it comes to cater to us not upgrading to reasonably modern systems.

Us that still use 2GB systems to game on are a dying breed. We haven't kept up with evolution, and every passing day makes us more of a minority. Can hardly expect ArmA3 if it comes to cater to us not upgrading to reasonably modern systems.

Well even I only have 2gb, but I would rather upgrade to more memory for better phys anims than get a new processor.

How is that solution better? That would require an infinite amount of memory and infinite amount of time to simulate the animations, as there's an infinite possible ways they could possibly fall.

I think most of everybody but you has acknowledged that ArmA2 cannot put anymore load on the cpu.

No. Everybody but me has acknowledged that ARMA 2 requires a CPU from this millennium.

On a side note: It's ARMA 2 not ArmA 2.

How is that solution better? That would require an infinite amount of memory and infinite amount of time to simulate the animations, as there's an infinite possible ways they could possibly fall.

No. Everybody but me has acknowledged that ARMA 2 requires a CPU from this millennium.

On a side note: It's ARMA 2 not ArmA 2.

Pointlessly argumentative. Did i say infinite? Does it matter how i spell arma 2 when i quickly type and not think about it? ArmA2 upgraded its anims from ArmA1 when it added stepping over objects. Its not hard nor is it difficult to understand. Why dont you try and explain how a dynamic system is better for ArmA2? So far I do not see it as possible with current technology, and more anims seems far more reasonable of an upgrade for ArmA3.

You are probably right... but A2 seems to be doing quite well, its in the top 5 games of 2009 (if not in the top 3) so based on that it may inspire BI (and the extra cash flow) to continue with the ArmA series.

I hope BI do, I think gamers are getting sick of generic shooters... its been over a decade and its the same crap shooters with better graphics and more and more corporate spin to flog their crap.

ANYway give it a few years and see how BI feel about #3, in the mean time CC looks very interesting and its something fresh for BI to work on...

Either way Kudos to BI for sticking with and supporting a bunch of whining old men... we'll always be here for you BI :)

I sincerely do hope in a way BI give ArmA a rest. They should absolutely be looking at expanding their list of games and give themselves a break from ArmA. It also means that when they do feel like continuing the ArmA series it will be a more significant improvement over the current version because tech will of moved on light years from where we are now, it also gives them plenty of time to come up with new ideas. I doubt they will completely stop making ArmA, its normal to take a break and do other titles.

It's not a bad move in another way too, with ArmA2 they have done quite well and maybe they want to try and cash in a little on what fame they have built up and push a few more titles out.

I think its a really sensible thing to do and no company can survive on one title alone. I know these days R* are one of the richer developers around, but remember R* were once a small dev team like BI and made an inspired move to 3D and haven't looked back. Even R* with GTA still put time in on other titles and their fame from GTA is helping to push their other games in the to spot light.

Edited by Engioc

BIS should do a MMO type game, get their name out there in the mainstream.

We all love the arma series but im sure BIS is getting burnt out on doing a super realistic game for the past 10 + years.

Return back to the king of Military simulators in 5 years and will have a nice selection of technology to implement into RV and a bigger base of 64bit users etc.

Edited by Flash Thunder

I wish the terrain technology was upgraded to support variable density meshes, i.e. using subdivision surfaces. Areas around settlements and other "marked areas" could be high definition. Areas in between could be filled in with some fixed fractal variation. Problem now is we can have dense meshes that create tiny island, or big meshes that create huge islands but have no definition anywhere. Certain textures like dirt roads, would cause the subdivision to increase near the texture to allow flattening of the road.

I wish the terrain technology was upgraded to support variable density meshes, i.e. using subdivision surfaces. Areas around settlements and other "marked areas" could be high definition. Areas in between could be filled in with some fixed fractal variation. Problem now is we can have dense meshes that create tiny island, or big meshes that create huge islands but have no definition anywhere. Certain textures like dirt roads, would cause the subdivision to increase near the texture to allow flattening of the road.
Dynamic tessellation does this. It changes LODs on the fly and is implemented in the Direct3D 11 and as GL_EXT_tessellation_shader extension in the OpenGL 4.0 spec.

Back to euphoria for a bit.

GTA IV has this huge and alive city, and it runs allmost as good as ArmA2 (or better).

If the landscape was a large island with villages, I think the landscape could be made alot bigger than GTA IV's Liberty City which is allready quite big urban area.

This engine would also allow pretty well working cover system, physics, and overall engine. Only tweaks would be adding realistic damage values and such. Also making 1st person available/required is a must. With euphoria engine, we'd finally have the proper get in animations some (including me) dream of.

And I can imgaine the scene when I shoot someone on stairs and he falls down to his death.. Amusing :D (ok that part sounds scary, I dont own a gun irl fyi)

Just dreaming... That would be the ultimate awesomesauce :p

Proper get-in animations are doable since OFP. If you'll create the animations for the units and vehicles, you can have them now.

BPZqn-pU4qo

Edited by stilpu

That video was... I am... worldess.. now if someone did the animations for every seat and every vehicle in ArmA2.. :rolleyes:

That video was... I am... worldess.. now if someone did the animations for every seat and every vehicle in ArmA2.. :rolleyes:

Not to mention remake and replace every single vehicle model with versions with openable doors. Quiiiiiite a lot of work!

Id rather want to see the command/1234567890 system being reworked into something more intuitive.

In A2 this actually got worse, you cant see where the main category options are for the most times, and the quick menu is rather useless despite being context sensitive.

People should hate this game because they get shot to pieces when attempting the usual COD routine, not because they haven't memorized key combinations.

Edited by sparks50

Id rather want to see the command/1234567890 system being reworked into something more intuitive.

In A2 this actually got worse, you cant see where the main category options are for the most times, and the quick menu is rather useless despite being context sensitive.

People should hate this game because they get shot to pieces when attempting the usual COD routine, not because they haven't memorized key combinations.

IMO, the changes they made to it in ArmA2 were uselss. But maybe that's just because I still only use the old OFP command menu. IMO, that worked just fine, never understood why they felt they needed to "improve" it.

IMO, the changes they made to it in ArmA2 were uselss. But maybe that's just because I still only use the old OFP command menu. IMO, that worked just fine, never understood why they felt they needed to "improve" it.

Exactly, all they did is made is press an extra button to see the useful menu, which only makes it more confusing for new people. :p

The only time i use the new menu is when i want to get my team into my vehicle.

I've been around since OFP, and I've always found the num command system pretty useless. I've memorized some of the commands, but nowhere near what I'm actually using. And looking at new guys comments, they complain wildly about it. So what works for you does not always work for others. Why is that so hard for veterans to understand?

The way it is today, it's slow (since you have to read and go back and forth through menus), counter intuitive (especially the target and action menus), and doesn't give any sort of feedback about what you are about to do, or feedback about the current status.