Sign in to follow this  
MulleDK19

Bohemia Interactive's future ARMA 3!

What do you think?  

159 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Awesome, I really, really want this!
    • Would be cool, but I don't really care.
    • No, I don't like it that much.
    • You're an idiot.

i really would like this game to be developed further! i dont think the new game "carrier command" will be as succesful as ofp/arma 1 & 2 is.

the progress from ofp to arma was already very great achievement. and also from arma 1 to 2.

i really dont want anything different!

With "Carrier Command" being futuristic oriented, at least most of the features can't be said to be unrealistic by us :) Maybe the devs are just annoyed with us whining about everything :D

Main Features I would like to see in Arma 3 or future Arma 2 expansions...

New Sound/audio system in Engine, sound quality is kind of dated, limited channels, music sounds like it suffered from bad compression techniques.

New Radio channel chatter in vehicles etc, we all seen this in mods in special missions it adds so much to the immersion even if its just static chatter.

Physics (Not anything near ragdoll or havok) but more realistic collisions with objects, death animations falling down(instead of just being static) More moveable joints for animators.

Improvements to the Streaming system in RV, ability to stream farther High quality LODS and textures at larger distances, support for higher texture filtering, x16

Differed lighting systems implemented will eliminate the small light source limitation due to performance hit of light sources.

Please add Render to Texture, support for 64bit OS more than 2GB of RAM, caching of game assets for people like with 6GB + of ram

Real world reflections to materials.

Shadow Draw Distance improvements and maybe even an option Shadow drawdistance slider? Would be an effective option.

Addition of "Favorites" in MP interface

Add support for Xfire ingame chat and video/screenshots.

I want ArmA 3 to run on Holodecks, but I still don't think ArmA 3 will be made.

A whole new engine would have to be made to even allow havok physics, look at Dragon Rising for an example, putting physics into video games is eye candy more than anything utterly destorys performance for lower end PC's and the overall graphical fidelity will be less, to compensate for Physics calculations.

Man can dream though.

Also dont think Arma 3 will come out, its been said that BIS is getting burnt out, I would feel the same, these kind of games take alot of energy and time to develope.

You're right, cause A2 runs like a dream, right? :rolleyes:

I don't think ArmA 3 will be made.

It will.

It does on my system. And it's pretty old.

Mainly because Harddrives arnt advanced enough, There are SSD's on the market but they are pretty damn expensive.

A2's problem is that BIS recycled too many old things from prior RV engines, they dont do enough rennovation, It would run like a dream if it used some updated coding and updated API support.

DR is only 4.5GB Arma 2 is double that around 8.5 or 9GB, thats alot of data transfer.

A2's problem is that BIS recycled too many old things from prior RV engines, they dont do enough rennovation, It would run like a dream if it used some updated coding and updated API support.

And you know that for a fact how?

A whole new engine would be a major fail , we've got so many wonderfuller monder on this one , loose them would be a shame

It has to be a 64bit engine. This is what everyone one should be asking.

Windows 7 is the last 32bit OS Microsoft is making. Windows 8 is already confirmed as 64bit only and is slated to be released in 2012.

This alone would solve all the hard drive thrashing. You make the game minimum 6GB RAM OS (4GB available because the OS takes 1GB). Load the whole kit and kabuddle into RAM. You don't to do it right away. When you first start a ton of it is loaded and then as you go it loads the rest into RAM. You are none the wiser and game is super fast. RAM is always faster than SSD or any hard drive.

If they are not making a new 64bit engine they might as well give up.

Edited by Punisher5555

It has to be a 64bit engine. This is what everyone one should be asking.

Windows 7 is the last 32bit OS Microsoft is making. Windows 8 is already confirmed as 64bit only and is slated to be released in 2012.

This alone would solve all the hard drive thrashing. You make the game minimum 6GB RAM OS (4GB available because the OS takes 1GB). Load the whole kit and kabuddle into RAM. You don't to do it right away. When you first start a ton of it is loaded and then as you go it loads the rest into RAM. You are none the wiser and game is super fast. RAM is always faster than SSD or any hard drive.

If they are not making a new 64bit engine they might as well give up.

The problem is that they would alienate a huge percentage of their established base, it would be nice if they could add support for asset caching for those who have 4+GB of RAM and have 64bit systems.

For starters, they could have made A2 a 64 bit application so that it could use more than 2GB of ram. Which it doesn't even use now even with -maxmem=2048..

Seems GPU doesn't work at all. I have virtually the same performance with my 8800 GTS G92, as with my 5870. This game wants the CPU for itself. No doubt about that.

Also tons of textures that the game wants to read from the HD. Even with SSD there is no guarantee it will be any smoother.

---------- Post added at 07:11 ---------- Previous post was at 07:06 ----------

It will.

It does on my system. And it's pretty old.

I'd like to hear your definition of "runs like a dream" :torture:

The problem is that they would alienate a huge percentage of their established base, it would be nice if they could add support for asset caching for those who have 4+GB of RAM and have 64bit systems.

The "Established Base" will have to be 64bit. There will be NO more 32bit Microsoft OS's. Even now their ALL their server products from R2 to Exchange and beyond are 64bit only.

If you want to stay in business and continue your product line you must start over/fresh with 64bit.

64bit ungodly memory access solves all your caching/thrashing problems.

For starters, they could have made A2 a 64 bit application so that it could use more than 2GB of ram. Which it doesn't even use now even with -maxmem=2048..

Seems GPU doesn't work at all. I have virtually the same performance with my 8800 GTS G92, as with my 5870. This game wants the CPU for itself. No doubt about that.

Also tons of textures that the game wants to read from the HD. Even with SSD there is no guarantee it will be any smoother.

High settings. No lag.

Maximum possible settings. 40 fps.

smooth @ VH ,1920/1440 3800VD~ 4XAA and 8XAA. Game runs great.

damn, all the things in the 1st post, but the magazine dissapear, are also my wishes since OFP^^

i hope arma3 will become something like that.

I'd just like to have an uBer FPS improvement or something, the AI can drain a lot of frames even if it's not present in big quantities. Or a new machine maybe. :D

There is two things I need a ArmA3 to have for me to buy it:

A proper physics engine. Containing properly modelled things like acceleration and inertia. And maybe gravity to... And some friction as well maybe. Some form of ragdoll-like thing for characters.

And for it to be able to run on a real operating system (Read: Not MS Windows).

But since hell will freeze over before any devs sees the light that is OpenGL/OpenAL/OpenCL i guess i will have to wish for a real programming language for scripting instead. I am a python guy myself so that's what i want. But i guess i could live with lua.

I guess that when ArmA3 goes on the market in say 2016ish we have computers that can handle a bit more than we have now. So for graphics i guess you'll have to simply go with what's possible then.

Edited by Angle

I'd like to see a completely new engine for ArmA III. There are just too many problems found in the rewritten-and-added-to engine they use right now.

There are problems in that approach however. It would take Bohemia Interactive a pretty long time and huge amounts of money to get to where modern engines arrived some time ago.

Modders wouldn't be very happy as well on the one hand because a new engine couldn't possibly be backwards compatible with any of the previous mods contrary to the history of the franchise's games.

On the other hand a new and modern engine would bring much more possibilites to the table for modders.

The engine I'd like to see would need to be object oriented (e.g.: modular), coded in C++ most suitably and have the following features:

- Havok Physics for vehicles, movement and solid object interaction combined with a destruction system similiar to the one build by Volition for Red Faction: Guerrillia (which also uses Havok Physics)

- Euphoria Physics for the animation related physics simulations like falling down or getting hit by an object

- LUA as the scripting language (also featured in e.g.: RF:G, Crysis, GTAIV, OF:DR)

- LUA scripted behavior based AI model like in Crysis which means the AI isn't scipted in the usual sense, but decides what to do based on events that happen in the game world and based on the behavior state it is currently in (e.g.: idle, interested, threatened, alerted)

- wound system resulting in changing movement states (e.g.: limping)

- component based damage system, not based on hit points for humans/animals and vehicles

- better working context sensitive interaction triggers

- more intelligent command menu (e.g.: a radial menu like the nanosuit menu in Crysis) as an option, retaining the old menu for the veterans

- 2D-Editor for map and mission making like the one we have right now

- 3D-Editor for map and mission making like the one found in Far Cry/Crysis (SandBox Editor) with more advanced options

Edited by MrXToTheN
Syntax Errors

It would take Bohemia Interactive a pretty long time and huge amounts of money to get to where modern engines arrived some time ago.

Lulz.

And what exactly is a "modern engine" then?

Lulz.

And what exactly is a "modern engine" then?

A modern engine is object-oriented (e.g.: modular, hierarchic) and uses all kinds of sub-system like physics engines and object oriented scripting languages like LUA to produce game content.

Everything works on it's own basicly but uses interaces to communicate.

As far as I know Bohemia's scripting languages are based on command lines and were expanded to implement function based techniques.

For example:

Groupname allowfleeing 0

This is command line like. It's not up to modern concepts of programming and should nowhere be used except to call a function by a developer console.

Code should look like:

allowfleeing(Groupname,0);

The point is to start from scratch and to code the engine more modular and general purpose instead of refitting an old engine based on concepts that were up to date 10 years ago.

I'd like to see a completely new engine for ArmA III. There are just too many problems found in the rewritten-and-added-to engine they use right now.

There are problems in that approach however. It would take Bohemia Interactive a pretty long time and huge amounts of money to get to where modern engines arrived some time ago.

Modders wouldn't be very happy as well on the one hand because a new engine couldn't possibly be backwards compatible with any of the previous mods contrary to the history of the franchise's games.

On the other hand a new and modern engine would bring much more possibilites to the table for modders.

The engine I'd like to see would need to be object oriented (e.g.: modular), coded in C++ most suitably (....)

You should try and mod this game before giving advices like this. The whole config is based on an object orientated approach C++ like, so very easily moddable by simple inheritance.