Sign in to follow this  
Fudgeblood

PCGamer Top 100 lists ArmA 2 as the 21st best PC game of all time!

Pretty amazing that a niche game like the Arma series made it up that high at all methinks. I don't think I've ever met another human outside of a game store who has ever had the foggiest idea what I'm talking about when mentioning it.

I've never tried Fallout 3 but if it's even remotely as good as the Deus Ex I might have to pick it up. The thing I liked about Deus Ex was that it never felt cartooney and had a real gritty lacquer to it.

Hmm, Deus Ex is very good but, I'm suprised something else hasnt replaced it as No. 1, saying that I think PCGamer's top 10 has been pretty static since last time they did this...

Think that STALKER should have been higher though!

No World in Conflict?

Make me sad =(

But they remembered some "old" classics and epic games that wasn´t in the mainstream (aka brainless shooters and cia). Point for them.

PCG should clarify what they mean by "editorial top 100"

is it just the games that the staff likes best, or best scores (unlikly), best combination of story, gameplay and setting? we just need to know why they made the choices they did

But I am amazed to see arma even on that list, much less at 21!

But Deus Ex is by far better than FO3. DX was a wonderful blend of great setting, mood, story, characters, very deep and highly detailed world (if you look for it), and blended RPG, shooter, stealth together.

Solitaire is listed at 82. Enough said.

This list is trash. The editors don't even list their criteria for their picks. Certainly they didn't factor in genre breaking achievements, otherwise games like Descent, Warcraft II, original Wolf 3D, Doom, original Civ would be on this list.

GTA4 at 15, ahead of ArmA 2? No! :butbut:

Deus Ex at number one is about right though :)

Very impressive for ArmA II. Seems that the PCG staff have taken a liking to it, given how many times they've mentioned it in past magazines, and even did a feature article on it.

I'll be interested to see what happens with Operation: Arrowhead. :eek:

For a little explanation on the choices of games from PCG from Rock Paper Shotgun

The yearly PC Gamer Top 100 has gone live! To actually get any real explanation behind it, you’ll have to buy the new issue, but it’s available here in a just-the-facts-format. It breaks with tradition in a three key ways. Firstly, it was the first in living memory to be comprised not by going down the pub and arguing until everyone hates each other more than usual. Instead, it was done by cold vote-casting democracy. Or, at least, the closest simulacra to cold-vote-casting democracy the ever-mendacious Tom Francis could manage. Secondly, it involved votes from the PC Gamer writers of many nations (i.e. if there’s anything obviously mental, blame the yanks)....

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/12/17/outcast-not-at-57-scandal-pc-gamer-top-100/#more-22786

seriously, I don't think ArmA2 has the reach and influence of Doom and Starcraft. Its really not about whether ArmA2 is fun or not but really an overall measure of influence in the gaming world.

---------- Post added at 02:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:00 AM ----------

opppssss... it seems like ArmA2 is ahead of both starcraft and doom2 when I just checked... geeezz.... incredible.

Jason,

OFP and ARMA series are definitely ground breaking for several reasons but I don't think they'll ever reach the incredible popularity or influence that Doom or Starcraft achieved back in their day. ARMA II has potential but it was released (and still is) a buggy mess of software; and even more importantly is more of a niche game not quite reaching the levels Doom or Starcraft.

Most of us on this forum can and do see the potential of this game but it has yet to impact the gaming world like many others.

Jason,

OFP and ARMA series are definitely ground breaking for several reasons but I don't think they'll ever reach the incredible popularity or influence that Doom or Starcraft achieved back in their day. ARMA II has potential but it was released (and still is) a buggy mess of software; and even more importantly is more of a niche game not quite reaching the levels Doom or Starcraft.

Most of us on this forum can and do see the potential of this game but it has yet to impact the gaming world like many others.

It's not going to see any potential, since today people want fast paced FPS with good looking graphics... The days of Delta Force, Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon 1 are gone... Just look at rainbow Six series, which turned into yet another FPS..

Edited by USSRsniper

No surprise there, I always knew Arma had the potential for such ranking, even when I wasn't that interested the first time I saw it, always had respect for what it was trying to accomplish, even if it was buggy in the beginning. Grats to BIS, this is pretty big imo.

Edited by Tork64

This thread is full of fail. :rolleyes:

"OMG the PC Gamer top 100 list doesn't coincide precisely with my list of favorite games! How dare they!"

To quote Eric Cartman: "Seriously you guys. The fuck?"

That list was compiled by people. Everyone has their own opinions about which games are better than others, so such a list will always be subjective, unless it is compiled by a machine. If your personal favorite game is ranked lower than a game you hate, just man up and get over it already. It's just a fucking list.

The thing is that the list is just so downright weird. It's not a list composed by a modern gamer without any heritage. It's not a list composed by people who've sat down and tried to choose the most important games in the world. It's not a list of old veterans moaning that games were better before. It's a totally strange mixup of everything. I mean, there are leisure-puzzle games being rated higher than revolutionary games. Half-forgotten ten year old games that weren't so special in the first place and the total absence of other, more important games. The list just confuses me.

This list is just simply rubbish. Thief II as TOP9? Give me a break

That's right. I would put it in top4 :rolleyes:

For ArmA2: Excellent!!

:yay:

Deux ex at number one???.... Fallout 3 is deffo better then that. Also has anyone played uncharted 2? That has to be one of the best well developed games ive played in years (apart from Arma2 ofcourse) and its not even on the list....

You're being objective.. I mean.. *sigh* All games attract different people, so naturally some people is going say "that's a shit list". If you then ask them what they play, and let's say just for the sake of argument they've been playing my little pony games for the last decade.. See what I mean? If you're a quake fan (which I'm certainly not) you would never dream to put such a mindless child game on a top 100 list..

That said, I can subjectively say that while the list as a whole makes no sense too me, I can understand why the games they picked are on that list.

I actually think Deus Ex would be in the top 3 on my own top 100 list.. Nice mix between my favourite genres (sort of). I mean I don't like shooters like quake and doom, but let's face it. Not all 1st person games are shooters. Deus Ex has some RPG elements, a great story etc. Well deserved in my opinion.

<edit> Now I just can't wait for the third game =/ Also, I can't believe they put Max Payne 2 ahead of the original game, which is not even On the list! :0

Edited by Ish

I think those disputing dues ex as number one have never played it before. It really was a fantastic game. Having said that, Arma II is also really good and unique but i'm surprised something like PC gamer think so highly of it. Probably to do with that Tactical Gamer write up they did a while ago.

This thread is full of fail. :rolleyes:

"OMG the PC Gamer top 100 list doesn't coincide precisely with my list of favorite games! How dare they!"

To quote Eric Cartman: "Seriously you guys. The fuck?"

That list was compiled by people. Everyone has their own opinions about which games are better than others, so such a list will always be subjective, unless it is compiled by a machine. If your personal favorite game is ranked lower than a game you hate, just man up and get over it already. It's just a fucking list.

This.

Seriously dudes, drop it, it's their list, they chose their 100, give it a rest :)

Not having Falcon4 on the list dismisses the entire thing :mad: Good for Arma, though :yay:

Seriously dudes, drop it, it's their list, they chose their 100, give it a rest :)

please, we have room to argue. Solitare at 82??? Descent, which I consider the first true 3D game, didn't even make it on the list. It's either we bitch about this list or bitch about how ARMA II is still bugged. which would you rather hear?

Deux ex at number one???.... Fallout 3 is deffo better then that. Also has anyone played uncharted 2? That has to be one of the best well developed games ive played in years (apart from Arma2 ofcourse) and its not even on the list....

I think Deus Ex has a very good balance between quick-thrills FPSes and the intricate immersive-ness of a full RPG. Oh, and it has the best story line of any game ever.

please, we have room to argue. Solitare at 82??? Descent, which I consider the first true 3D game, didn't even make it on the list. It's either we bitch about this list or bitch about how ARMA II is still bugged. which would you rather hear?

With that attitude, I doubt we'll be hearing you bitch at all in the future. :rolleyes:

It's either we bitch about this list or bitch about how ARMA II is still bugged.
Or not bitch at all. :yay:

I cant believe they put Oblivion and Fallout 3 way ahead of Baldur's Gate 2.