Sign in to follow this  
olro

It looks like a warfilm!! (Video of CMSF game)

Here are two videos of a so called Play By Email game I have versus another opponent online.

The game is Combat Mission Shock Force.

Some background to the scenario:

"1st Guards Mech Infantry Battalion is tasked with killing a warlord and his two brothers, confined in their homevalley. In between a major urban area, Shar-Azad, housing large numbers of combatants, waiting to destroy as much as possible of 1st Battalion.

Plays out in a valley, a mix of urban and open ground fighting with a considerable logistics component. Its not a 3 hours non stop action scenario, you gonna wait a bit for arty at times, reorganize the mess, and so on :)"

a picture of the map you find here, shot in version 1.05->

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/6306/rsyt8.jpg

You know, I saw this in a shop around here a while ago. I thought "that might be alright", but after watching that video, and reading up about it on Wikipedia, I am very thankful that I didn't. I'm surprised it's got as many people playing it as it does.

Combat Mission Shock Force. I love the name of it, so cheesy and over the top :p

Nice! A string of positive jubilant replies!

If you dont understand why people are playing, fine. I understand well why people prefer different games, even if I dont like them myself.

When it comes to cheesy names, take a look at some actual operational names for the current Iraq and Afghan wars:

Operation Wolfhound Fury

Operation Iron Fist II

Operation Tiger Fury

Operation Wolfhound Power

Operation Falcon Freedom

Operation Wolf Stalk II

Operation Knockout

Operation Final Strike

Operation Glory Light

Operation Swift Sword

Operation Commando Hunter

Operation Arrowhead Strike III

Operation Dragon Fire East

Operation Phantom Thunder

Operation Lightning Hammer II

Listen....americans thrive on cheesy operational names, its the standard rather than the exception. Shock & awe, c'mon.

Edited by olro

Thats no shooter, its a simulater too. But its a strategy game not a fps or 3rdps.

Its a cool addition if someone like war scenarios, simulations and strategy games.

It has real chains off command, realistic gameplay & artillery. And a scenarioeditor. If you are a opf1/arma1&2 fan and you like strategy games then give it a try.

It has more micromanagement than arma, but it has a lot of options too (split squads in diffrent teams, clear buildings, diff behaviors, fire sectors, supressingfire and much more).

In many aspects its more realistic than arma, but its older too. It should be very cheap now, and its very hard. (hard to get into too, maybe harder than arma)

Edited by Pain0815

Substitute CMSF with Arma on a COD4MW2 or CS forum and I assume you'll get the obligatory "boooring/snoozefest" reply :-)

But of course, we all know how the right wording is "in-depth, detailed and milsim".. right? Cant be bothered to reply to a bunch of twitch kids eh?

The name "Armed Assault" cheesy? Nah, ARMA - its latin innit! :-P

Edited by olro

I can't believe people are blasting CMSF before they've even given it a fair chance and then goes on in other threads about how stupid modern gamers are who cannot appreciate the depth of ArmA.

Sorry, I can't take this for serious.

The threadtitle made me click here ... and I was stunned: Can olro be serious about this?

My point of view is: This is by far not even the standard Armed Assault had a few years ago.

And I really don't like this map all over with strong coloured markers ... how can this be called "like a warfilm" ?????

Ok ... I do indeed also hate the "cadet mode rhombusses" on the heads of soldiers in Arma2 or "crosshair".

But I never use them ... but I am left speechless: This what is shown in the videos can't by far (!!!) not be compared to Arma2 or to a film of war.

When it comes to cheesy names, take a look at some actual operational names for the current Iraq and Afghan wars:

Nah, Combat Mission Shock Force, you just cant beat that:D

Sorry, I can't take this for serious.

The threadtitle made me click here ... and I was stunned: Can olro be serious about this?

My point of view is: This is by far not even the standard Armed Assault had a few years ago.

And I really don't like this map all over with strong coloured markers ... how can this be called "like a warfilm" ?????

Ok ... I do indeed also hate the "cadet mode rhombusses" on the heads of soldiers in Arma2 or "crosshair".

But I never use them ... but I am left speechless: This what is shown in the videos can't by far (!!!) not be compared to Arma2 or to a film of war.

You do realise it is not an FPS? So comparison to ArmA 2 is very silly to say the least.

It is an RTS but a realistic one, not like C&C. Maybe you should play the demo and look at the features before talking crap.

http://www.battlefront.com/products/cmsf/features.html

Shock Force is one of the finest computer wargames I have ever played. It suffered from a fairly poor release, but like another game and developer I know, has released a steady stream of improvements in addition to more content. The two expansions that have been released so far are far and away better than the original and adds a lot to the game.

Comparing it to a FPS is stupid.

"...like a warfilm" was tounge in cheek with a touch of sarcasm ;) It certainly does not look like a warfilm. Woopsie, hope I didnt fool anyone!!

Does it play closer to war than most games though? Yes I think it does.

I fail to fraps an m4 sight and instead try to get the overall picture of an evolving large scale combined arms battle, give or take an abstraction or two.

The game is an acquired taste, like ping pong and good whisky (dry whisky ill admit) :o

The tempo, scale, abstraction, graphics... not to mention the kickass armour modelling, suppression, morale system, company sized forces, trenches, airbursts, bunkers, survivability of infantry, VBIEDs, AT14s and close to real life ATGM systems for crying out loud.. and all at MY fingertips! - is not for everyone, nor do they matter for most people when playing a game.

I care. Im weird like that :rolleyes:

Will someone put me out of my misery?

Edited by olro

Combat Mission Shock Force is a game for bored ArmA 2 fans :D

jeebus i almost died of boredom!

and people call A2 lol

Most OFP/ArmA fans come from those "boring" wargames... You should try playing it, complexity will just overwhelm you, someone will have to call an ambulance.

Edited by USSRsniper

I can't believe people are blasting CMSF before they've even given it a fair chance and then goes on in other threads about how stupid modern gamers are who cannot appreciate the depth of ArmA.

Haha true. People here are being just like COD players are towards ArmA. They can't get it into their heads that it's a different type of game :j:

I haven't played CMSF, but at least I can tell the difference and see what it's supposed to be.

Will someone put me out of my misery?

As long as you are not playing Sims 3 you are fine...

*multiball*.....''''.....'.'...''...'.''..''.| *multiball*

I don't know. I play as many games as I can but in the end I go back to pong, air hockey, tetris.... heck, I just reinstalled American McGee's Alice after watching the "Alice" special. (man I love that game)

... but, I still don't think I could play this game.

There are a number of idiotic answers on here, and some are nice and even funny (I specially liked the answer about CMSF players being bored Arma 2 players, as it's more or less my case or viceversa, when I played OPFP I played CMBB too hehe). I understand some people does not like some gaming genres but there is no need to be disrespectfull.

I don't know why I'm amused tho, as having been on internetz gaming forumz for a while (including BF.com forum, but that one is usually mature and polite tbh) will show this type of retarded answers. Comparing CMSF to ARMA2, or ARMA2 to IL-2, etc. is retarded (even more is comparing these games to CoD4, but oh the irony in this thread is strong as some people has noted), but actually you can enjoy them all in their right context.

I like CMSF... at least the I like the demo. Then I got ARMA2, and try to play CMSF again, and I go meh... the graphics are not very nice to look at. So I go play ARMA with High Command instead. Then, I miss the complexities of CMSF, so I jump back to CMSF... and kinda miss the feeling of actually 'being there' in ARMA... so goes on the vicious cycle of CMSF and ARMA2...

CMSF is a good game... didnt watch the video yet, youtube is blocked in the office

on other note, somehow the demo is kinda choppy for me at times... must be a lot of calc going on on the cpu

Personally like close combat (with mods of cause) better, played the first Combat mission but didnt liked it.....

And for the OP, the title IS a bit off, just to point out