Sign in to follow this  
Chill xl

SIX Aiaktalik map Beta1 released

Addon makers should be able to release addons however they prefer, it's up to the addon maker, not the people downloading it.

On topic: I like this island, quite a large area for usage, plenty of room for combat. The valley areas are pretty nice too, would work for ambushes.

i love the map! and i love that its on the six updater, this way keeping up to date is easy as pie!

It was never my intention to publicly release my first, and maybe only, addon for any BIS product but i felt somewhat obligated to do so. The community and the custom addons is one of the reasons that make this game such a great one, furthermore i received help & feedback and that is another reason to give something back. To make this map even possible i had to dig into and do research for every step in the addon making process, that goes from idea all the way upto creating a useable addon.

Releasing this addon to the public was made very easy thanks to my buddy Sickboy and the great updater he produced. We at 6th sense make good use of the six updater and i'm glad we do, becuase it saved me alot and i mean alot alot alot of downloading time and hassle so far...

Now i'm not going to figure out how to release addons the conventional way, but if someone feels the need to do so anyway, be my guest. I would like to add that i'm not "responsible" for those release what so ever. That means, i'm not going to maintain these, notify the mirrors when a update has been released etc etc. Messages about problems, corrupt downloads and what else you can message about are for the one that publiced it there. For me, the updater takes care of all of that, thank god! I will be publicing any update, patch or release with the updater.

I hope people like this map anyway, whatever the source was they got it from...

Edited by Chill xl

Using this map on a server is causing everyone to CTD! It run oki in the editor but everyone is CTD when they start loading through to the mission, its only few units placed on the map no scripts or anything.

Everyone is CTD though.

Ok after deleted and re-downloading the island, and running the island on a vanilla ArmA 1.04, it crashed on me with this being the last entry in the RPT file

Exe version: 1.04.59026

ErrorMessage: Out of memory (requested 1905 KB).

Reserved 294912 KB.

Total free 11037 KB

Free blocks 54, Max free size 1585 KB

Stick to your guns, and dont mirror it, Its a beta island and through trial and error, The best way to fix little bugs, Is using the SIX.

From what ive seen the map is really nice, although buggy for me.

What plans do you have for it ?

The idea is that the installation is harder the first time, but every update and every mod that is or becomes available on the updater system, becomes suddenly much easier.

@InstaGoat;

Please try deleting the island folder and just retry tnx :)

Can't you inlcude a first time wizard in the six updater. So people who have trouble with it only have to follow the wizard to get it started.

Right now i have a friend that try's to downoad the mods but he can't. The webclinet is working fine.. setting up presets is working fine... It even updates the six updater when you start the app. But when it wants to download the mods you can wait forever because the updating CMD never pops up.

I had it working on my system very fast... btu i don't know how to do it on his.

We tried several things. Sending him my confog file. Uninstalling virus scanners/pop up blockers and fiewalls. Manually put the ace.rar/7z in the six updater main folder... But still it won't update. It hangs at " Please be patient" (we waited for hours, but the tool was still responsive)

P.S. My returned message say's " Found config! Found action!

A window should open displaying the update process progress" so it looks all fine. But the window that shows the updating process never pops up.

Edited by Winchester Delta_1

The picture looks promising,THX @ sickboy for his efforts & dedication to this island :) and for his patience in this thread too ;)

Addon makers should be able to release addons however they prefer, it's up to the addon maker, not the people downloading it.(...)

You are right but if I may roughly estimate,like in the past there have been 40-60% users having trouble with that method of downloading (=>ACE2 thread)and I am sure,some who really would have like to use it,retreated in frustration by not getting familiar with the "updater".

If I will make an addon for free one day, I would be glad to find it in use on many,many hdd's of (happy) users - that would make me (as the artist) feeling glad, taking this as a "moral payment" for further motivation.

By this I would offer an alternative dl to get 40-60% more users (who are not capable of using or just don't want this recommended method of downloading).

But well - in the end it's the decision of the artist, how to release an addon and how many people it will finally reach ;)

Using this map on a server is causing everyone to CTD! It run oki in the editor but everyone is CTD when they start loading through to the mission, its only few units placed on the map no scripts or anything.

Everyone is CTD though.

I just manged to narrow it down on this end, you have to load the map in the edtior first before being able to play on the island in a server otherwise the game crashes when loading

Great looking island, downloading! :D

Btw, is there a way to configure the six updater to install it to a custom island folder (@islands for example)? Six updates cba, ACE, beta,vop and all of them have their own folder in the root directory but with all the islands now available at the six server my Arma install could get quite messy. :p

@Zipper, im working around the clock on improvements.

Can't you inlcude a first time wizard in the six updater. So people who have trouble with it only have to follow the wizard to get it started.

Right now i have a friend that try's to downoad the mods but he can't. The webclinet is working fine.. setting up presets is working fine... It even updates the six updater when you start the app. But when it wants to download the mods you can wait forever because the updating CMD never pops up.

I had it working on my system very fast... btu i don't know how to do it on his.

We tried several things. Sending him my confog file. Uninstalling virus scanners/pop up blockers and fiewalls. Manually put the ace.rar/7z in the six updater main folder... But still it won't update. It hangs at " Please be patient" (we waited for hours, but the tool was still responsive)

P.S. My returned message say's " Found config! Found action!

A window should open displaying the update process progress" so it looks all fine. But the window that shows the updating process never pops up.

Hey Winchester, yes, I have those planned. But if you look at the full platform I just deployed in under 1 week, I havent had the time just yet :)

But I will certainly :)

In any case, more aimed in general; in both mod releases we have provided the "Lazy Method":

1. Install Software, 2. Download and save config in updater folder, 3. Run software, action #2.

You can cut "1." off the list once you've made your first install. Now with just "2." and "3." left per mod, and only "3." left every update run, compared to casual means:

1. Find a mirror, 2. Download the file, 3. Unpack the file, 4. Figure out how to run / use it. (Every single update)

On the account of people with issues still: The issue tracker and myself, are awaiting you: http://dev-heaven.net/projects/six-arma-updater/issues

If issues are not reported, I can not help. I'm aching to fix your bugs, hurry (plz)! :)

btw, a simple performance example: http://dev-heaven.net/wiki/six-arma-updater#Example

It really is funny how ppl try to improve/enhance the game on a very difficult way.

What's all this updater stuff about?

I really don't like to install any programms to be able to install Mods/AddOns.

Things could be really easy... But well... looks like ppl still preffer the hard and confusing way to split the community apart.

Makes really no sense. Anyway, i've said what I had to say about it, and the island creator did too.

Good luck with it :)

Edited by Sickboy

I just manged to narrow it down on this end, you have to load the map in the edtior first before being able to play on the island in a server otherwise the game crashes when loading

your right! can this be fixed at all asap?

... It's your choice to keep it or not, but can I just ask that you also include a direct mirror for those of us who prefer the "old fashioned" way?

I don't mind the map getting a direct mirror at all:

... Now i'm not going to figure out how to release addons the conventional way, but if someone feels the need to do so anyway, be my guest. I would like to add that i'm not "responsible" for those release what so ever. That means, i'm not going to maintain these, notify the mirrors when a update has been released etc etc. Messages about problems, corrupt downloads and what else you can message about are for the one that publiced it there. For me, the updater takes care of all of that, thank god! I will be publicing any update, patch or release with the updater.

The whole post can be read here: http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1515845&postcount=49

-------------

Originally Posted by Lt.Chris

-----------

your right! can this be fixed at all asap?

If we could narrow down what causes it and what to do to fix it, sure the patch will be out asap. At the moment i don't know the cause and the remedy. All i know this type of crash was seen by some with other islands aswell, there the "load in editor"-trick worked too. It seems that some are having these kind or problems while others don't...

Edited by Chill xl

Mmmm i am chasing something on my own island(not published) that is exactly what you descripe. That about a couple of people crash on it and others not at all, but have found no cure for that.

At 6thsense nobody crashed (so far) on this island. I am however interested to hear if the ppl that crash have something in common. Specialy on graphics settings like terrain low etc.

Maybe somebody who has this crash on a server with a playerpool has some info?

Im sure Ive heard of this once before and there was fix, Is the island been binarised yet?

The only addons we were running was ACE Mod. To get the map not to crash your PC is to preload it in the editor. Im sure it had to do with binarising the map.

Im sure Ive heard of this once before and there was fix, Is the island been binarised yet?

The only addons we were running was ACE Mod. To get the map not to crash your PC is to preload it in the editor. Im sure it had to do with binarising the map.

Yes the islands are binarised. If there is a cure then not only you get a fix for this, but also a new island as that is all i am waiting for. Will check with chill on this.

Screen shot looks nice and would love ta try it out but the whole dl this and that just to get it working is an down size and not so fun nor easy for most of us people. Why would you not just have an dl link for the pbo or in an mod folder? I see that most people that come up and say well just dl the six updater and it down size the file size. But in all your still got to have that little downloader running ta get just an simple pbo file vary much an hassle in all ways. By making it for one mod for just that mod i can see that as it would be an mod product for its work but, to make all addons just for an mod as ACE and only way to get the addon is through ACE is far left field. I do like ACE mod but i dont have it dl cause of its ways of how you got to go about just to get it running. Addons for ArmA should not revolve around just one Mod like ACE.

Actually, i found the old map that had the same problem and this was the answer

Neg....it was the fix for the dedicated server memory leak

It came out after that .CPP fix

Something to do with the .paa and rvmat files being misnamed

And how did you miss the addon maker stating himself that he didn't mind having direct download mirrors?

This community is more and more made of people able to mainly complain, but never help.

And how is it replacing? :O Anyone can host (though, as you can see, no one did yet, all I see is complaints, thus my comment on current community trend)

It is, definitely! :D

To put it back on topic, enjoy :

http://213.245.0.237/six_aiaktalik.zip (hoping I didn't screw up the packing)

No, you didn't screw it up! Thank you very,very much - I will remember you positively for doing this :239: Have a nice evening, Sir!

Personally i don't understand what the whole fuss is about? I prefer not to offer you my addon the conventional way but trough the six updater, because that saves me alot hassle and for those that do use it, it will save alot of hassle for upcoming updates aswell.

Now as i already said anyone is free to host the addon, mirror it and offer a direct download link. It's only that i'm not going to track these mirrors, making sure they are up to date, and when there are serious problems making sure they get solved. This is all the hassle i don't want.

Btw, the great guys of Armaholic are already providing a direct download.

Edited by Chill xl

Look at all this damn Spam talk about download links and ways to download. You are all just as bad as each other! let the addon maker choose what he wants and if others want to make mirrors then do so just don't Spam the goddamn thread.

I hope he seen my post with the possible fix, as Sakakah Al Jawf in ArmA 1 had exactly the same problem with the server memory leak.

Anyways Great Island, any chance of maybe making a little area of desert clear of rocks and flat so we can maybe built a little base there with mini runaway or even add in a little airbase yourself? could be nice :)

I hope he seen my post with the possible fix, as Sakakah Al Jawf in ArmA 1 had exactly the same problem with the server memory leak.

Anyways Great Island, any chance of maybe making a little area of desert clear of rocks and flat so we can maybe built a little base there with mini runaway or even add in a little airbase yourself? could be nice :)

Tnx for the feedback! I read ur post about the possible fix too, i'm after it and trying to figure out and get it solved.