Sign in to follow this  
Ether Dragon

Weapon misfire?

I've had a couple of incidents where my weapon has fired all on it's own. The last time I noticed that it switched from semi-auto to burst when doing so. These misfires frequently spell my death, as it alerts nearby troops to my position when I'm not in a defensible location or trying to sneak by a large group. Any idea how I can fix this problem?

Which version are you using?

Which button is mapped to "fire"?

Are you certain your mouse is alright?

I assume that is only happening in MP games, right? It sounds like a network problem to me, specifically one of packets getting lost, or arriving late or out of sequence.

The first couple of times it happened, I wasn't really paying attention, but I believe it is only in multiplayer games. I don't know how it could be packet loss - I've hosted every multiplayer game I've played so far.

I'm using the latest version of the game - upgrade 4. I downloaded it about two weeks ago when I bought the game.

My fire button is mapped to the default left mouse button.

My mouse is alright, at least it never does random clicks in any other applications. I can't believe it's the mouse anyways, since the game is also switching my firing mode. This happened again last night, but luckily I was out of range of enemy detection (although still sneaking.) I have had to deal with the input lag problem, but it seems mostly fixed (although I'm not at all happy about the work-arounds we're forced to use.)

Do you also have lagging input then? If so, have you set vsync on? Or set prerender max to 1 frame?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ALDEGA @ April 04 2002,11:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Do you also have lagging input then? If so, have you set vsync on? Or set prerender max to 1 frame?<span id='postcolor'>

My input lag isn't noticeable anymore. I turned off V-Sync and set the prerender to zero frames. NVMax only allows you to drop your prerender to one frame, but using a tip at Avon Lady, I was able to access an additional panel in the Windows graphics panel that allowed me to adjust most of the same settings found in NVMax. It allowed me to set it to the recommended 0 frames. I don't know why NVMax limits you to 1 frame.

What bothers me about having to do this is the performance hit these tweaks incur in every other game I have. 3DMark did a good job of showing the difference, as my score dropped about 800 points using the work-around for OFP. Maybe the die-hard OFP players don't have any other games that they enjoy playing, but I sure as heck do. Anyways, I'm ranting, so I'll stop now.

Yep, but 3Dmark isn't a game and input lag is thus not an issue. 3Dmark is about getting the highest possible framerate, regardless of any side effects.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ALDEGA @ April 04 2002,12:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yep, but 3Dmark isn't a game and input lag is thus not an issue. 3Dmark is about getting the highest possible framerate, regardless of any side effects.<span id='postcolor'>

I use 3DMark simply to show a relevant example of the performance hit these tweaks are causing. My other favorite current game, IL2 Sturmovich, is rendered nearly inoperable with these work-arounds in place due to the drop in frame rate. It's like taking off on a runway using a slideshow. Click - heading down the runway. Click - torque has pulled you off the runway. Click - full screen picture of control tower. Click - flames! My god, the flames!

Having V-Sync on delivers fewer frames per second (FPS), because the buffers can only be flipped during a vertical retrace, but this shouldn't make a game unplayable unless your monitor runs at a vertical refesh rate that is ridiciously low.

If IL-2 runs much slower with V-Sync on than without, and can exceed you monitor's vertical refresh rate when V-Sync is off, there has to be something else going on.