Sign in to follow this  
rip31st

binarize.exe What exactly is it doing for hours...

When binarizing a map.

Ok I've made a few maps here and there and I'm just wondering why the heck cpu usage is stuck at 50% for hours on end when trying to binarize a map. First off if you have binpbo create a temp file folder you can see it creates a config.bin and proper folder structure for your island within a few seconds of its initial start. What is it that it's doing for so dang long after that???

My .wrp file is only 24mb, my data folder is 67mb, my config is only a few kb. What gives? If I look at task manager to see the process tree, ~97mb is charged off to binarize.exe for hours at 50% cpu usage. What the ever-loving is it doing??? seriously?

binpbo reports "Binarizing P3D's". - Really? I have no P3d's in my folder, or on my map yet. It's just a blank terrain.

For what I can figure out it binarizes the .wrp file, bins the config(s), looks for errors in the config and copies already visitor processed textures from the data folder and wraps them all in a cozy .pbo.

I've got my binpbo pointed to the proper folders. So what's the deal?

Sheesh mon, check mark the binarize box, click okay and go take someone out to a dinner and movie for heavens sake. Come back and the sucker still ain't done.

Huh that is along time it takes only a couple of minutes here. What does the log file look like in your mod folder. It takes more time if it runs across problems. It binarizes the config files gets together textures you need and binarizes the rvmats in the layers folder that can take awhile theres allot of them. also the wrp file you can look at the dep file in the temp folder, to see a list of what thats about. here i'll post the content of my log file, It's arma but they are probably similiar. The p3ds are the files visitor sliced in diced from your sat and mask, layers config. They are processed as well.

Parse: 0 ms

Convert world p:\stpup_\sosegado_isle\sosegado.wrp -> E:\Temp\ARMAaddons\stpup_\sosegado_isle\sosegado.wrp

Updating base class ->NonStrategic, by p:\stpup_\ca\config.cpp/CfgVehicles/HouseBase/

Updating base class ->DestructionEffects, by p:\stpup_\ca\config.cpp/CfgVehicles/House/DestructionEffects/

Updating base class ->HouseBase, by p:\stpup_\ca\config.cpp/CfgVehicles/Ruins/

Singular mapping: #(argb,8,8,3)color(0,0,1,1), u 3529.48 x v 2544.33, AoT 1600

This islands pbo is at 49 megs. just a few structures on it to make sure that ladders, doors church bells are working.

It is a 6.144 Km. island not many textures on the terrain yet. Some clutter on it to make sure thats working. My wrp file is 4.35 megs.

Hope those facts give you something to compare with. Not sure what exactly the key differences would be between the 2 games to justify the time its taking and the wrp file size.

Im hoping you were refering to your pbo being 24 megs forgot to metion that, a 24 meg wrp file thats a big island with goodies.

Edited by SRS

Copying files takes time (try using a RAMdrive), most time is needed normally by

compressing the WRP from 8WVR to OPRW.

Is there a way to take a binarized .wrp file and convert it to a .pew? I'm looking to take my arma1 map and make it arma2 compatible but the project was lost in a HDD failure.

thx

Yep. ConvertWrp can do.

It is a command line tool. Eliteness is the GUI tool. It should offer the same feature too.

Make sure to look into CreatePewObjects as well.

Feel free to ask questions in that other thread.

Well I left binpbo running overnight, came back and it was still binarizing p3d's after 7 hours. Only thing in the temp folder was a config.bin and a data\layers folder. Just ended process on binarize.exe.

What next? Seems like all my paths are correct. Are the paths in the rvmats case sensitive? That's the only thing diff I can see.

Is this the 153km terrain you mentioned in the other topic?

What is the terrain grid and cell size sizes?

What is the satellite image size?

Is this the 153km terrain you mentioned in the other topic?

What is the terrain grid and cell size sizes?

What is the satellite image size?

not sure, its been a while...

2048x2048 terrain grid size

75m terrain cell size

Sat image size is 2048

It worked in arma1

Well 7 hours is a bit extreme. Does it end at some point?

Make binarize stopped? Does it still use CPU after 1+ hour.

Yeah it just keeps going at 50% cpu usage. I'm checking everything, making sure all the paths are correct in my rvmats, etc, etc.

Map works fine with visitor/bulldozer.

How large is your layers in the "temp\armaaddons\data\" folder and how many objects are in it, at the point in time you killed binpbo. Mine is for example 38.6 mb with 3,792 objects.

Also in the *.pbo destination folder, did binpbo create a "yourisland.log" file. That file should atleast contain the parse info. Maybe something there will help. I just did the math from your post above that is a 153600 squared map at 75 X 75 texture size thats 496 for the satalite grid. For s&g's I will scratch up an island that size see what happens here.

0 bytes is how big my data folder is even after hours of my binpbo running. Right now the map is just a basic map with one object on it. I was trying to process it to get it ingame to see if I configured it properly. The log file in the addons destination directory is empty.

I may end task on it again and just post the files for download to see if someone can figure it out.

I took my play island sosegado note this is in "arma1". Scaled the terrain png to 2048x2048.

set the square size to 75 in the pbl. Set up the parameters as in your post above. Importing sat and mask took 11 minutes. bulldozer took no time at all to load it. Binpbo took about 1 minute bin, pack, save. My pbo is 90,808 KB the log file has no changes from what I posted earlier. My layers in the temp folder contains less objects but the folder contains more data its 44.6 mb.

Lets see what it looks like in game. The grid in the game editor is all rammed together. Have to zoom out to know where you are. My textures were meant for an island way smaller than this so they are stretched wayout.

So its possible To build an island this size no problem in arma1. Maybe someone else here with a known good build environment for arma2. Could run the same test on their system.

Maybe something new in arma2 is an issue. But if someone else can do the above in arma2.

Then you would know its something in your build environment and or settings. It could be any number of things. I am guessing check everything again. Breeze over the tuts again.

My system runs nice Its well balanced. But doesn't contain any extreme hardware. So unless maybe your running some old and slow hardware, or way way to many background processes. I couldn't see it being a resource issue.

how many rvmats and textures did you end up with in your layers folder

The fact that there are 0 bytes in the data folder is not good. But you said it looks fine in dozer right. Textures and all are good in dozer?. If all is well in dozer. Then I would check and see if binpbo has the correct paths. Make sure your layers folder isn't getting just dumped on P: root. Instead of in your P:\whatever\myisland\data folder.

Those are 2 quick things I can think of off hand.

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

In my mod data layers folder I ended up with exactly 100 rvmat files.

2048 paa files. and of course 2048 png files 4196 files total.

The layers folder in binpbos temp folder sholuld only contain the paa files needed yap 2148 paa files in there.

Edited by SRS

Yeah I checked that already. I checked my registry to see if all was well there and everything is in order. 0 bytes after a while is messed up. I might transfer it to my buddy on msn and have him try to process it to see what happens.

What you might want to do, is making clones of your world that just have one aspect

each, like terrain or object or SAT and try to binarize each to narrow it down.

Via v3 export and import, that should be rather simple to do.

Ok lets eliminate the config.cpp file temporarily move it to your desktop run binpbo. Make sure clear temp folder is checked

Give it about 3-5 minutes tops. The island won't show up in the game of course. But if it does pack it then you know the problems in the config file. If it still doesn't complete that leaves an issue with the build environment or settings in binpbo.

---------- Post added at 09:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:30 PM ----------

We could be focusing in the wrong direction. Also a possibility one of the bintools fell on the harddrive the wrong way. Injuring itself during the install.

Edited by SRS

Running it right now. It creates the temp file, so we know that's working. But it's not doing anything in the temp folder

---------- Post added at 02:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:53 PM ----------

Not sure if this matters or not, but visitor isn't generating a .lst file in the layers folder after importing the sat & mask.

The 'import sat,mask' should create a lot of *.png files, *.rvmat files. in the layers folder.

dozer takes that info converts your textures in the data folder and the layers folder.

At that point you should have all you need for wrp file.

I don't get a .lst file in the layers folder just allot of image files and rvmats.

Yeah I think everything works fine. I'm thinking arma2 just doesn't like certain parameters that large maps carry. I will experiment with some settings.

You can still use the a1 tools to make worlds in a2, if that worked.

In the long run mikero might be able to make a binarize replacement.

Yet the process is very complex to decode and understand.

You realise that with these dimensions:

2048 X 2048 Terrain Grid size

75m Terrain Cell size

2048 X 2048 Sat Image size ...

that each pixel in your sat image will represent 75 X 75 metres.

To achieve 1 pixel = 1 metre you would need a sat image of 153600 X 153600.

Planck

You realise that with these dimensions:

2048 X 2048 Terrain Grid size

75m Terrain Cell size

2048 X 2048 Sat Image size ...

that each pixel in your sat image will represent 75 X 75 metres.

To achieve 1 pixel = 1 metre you would need a sat image of 153600 X 153600.

Planck

Yeah we realize that. It doesn't look pretty with a 2048x2048 image stretched out over 95 square miles.

Were just trying to achieve a large theater for multiplayer for the toys were making such as the V1, V2 rocket, bombers and naval ships. The available maps are too small and not enough breathing room for what we want to do.

Besides a 153600 x 153,600 image. My machine would catch on fire trying to process that. :)

---------- Post added at 06:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:20 AM ----------

I'm kicking myself right now. My base layer needs to be 150m instead of 75m. Otherwise the map will crash. Probably why it's not loading unbinned in arma2. Just did a search on the old board and found that. I'll report back later with the results.

Edited by Rip31st

I can process that size image. My problem would be sending the image to anyone. I am stuck on dialup for awhile. It sucks but I have to watch every dime and nickle for awhile.

Anyone should be able to. It will just be slow going it will require a minimum of 70 gigs of drive space free. You would be best starting at full size just use enough colors to define cities, forests, roads, a basic layout. Slice it into easier to work with segments. Do the details then stitch it together. Theres always a work around. It wouldn't be easy but it would be an epic piece of work. A bigger bone then I would wana chew on.

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:17 PM ----------

The bigest problem I see is getting any elevation detail at these dimensions. I am going to alter the parameters and size of the heightmap some see if I can get something with better elevation detail. Still using the same sandbox island as mentioned earlier in the post.

I'll give this a few hours of time today. sort out the math and a workaround for the sat and mask. The island I am sandboxing per your specs is not crasing in arma1 at 1.14. even with vision set at 10000. however its just island very few buildings or objects on it.

Edited by SRS