Sign in to follow this  
Monsada

UPSMON - Urban Patrol Script Mon

Geez, must be the lunch i ate, felt so dumb right now... thanks :)

Glad to see work being done on UPSMON. Thank you Rafalski.

One thing I've always wished that UPSMON had was it's own "de-spawn" feature. I've had to combine it with other scripts, with various levels of success.

I think it would be a great addition to the already existing spawn feature of UPSMON, if we could then have those units & vehicles removed - without needing to rely on a separate script/AI mod to do so.

Just wanted to make the request. Please consider. Either way, thanks for working on this script.

Hi, there is a garbage collector on upsmon, try to put 'delete' param, You can set time to remove dead bodies too. Visit wiki on dev heaven for more info.

delete:n = Delete dead units after 'n' seconds.

when using spawn script set delete

nul = [this,"town","TEMPLATE:",1] execVM "scripts\upsmon.sqf";

nul = [1,position player,1,["town2","respawn","DELETE:",30]] execVM "SCRIPTS\UPSMON\MON_SPAWN.SQF";

this will create a squad like "TEMPLATE" and will set DELETE param on leader, so units will be removed after 30 seconds if no players near.

GREAT JOB RAFALSKI!!

Edited by Monsada

Thanks for the info Monsada and thanks for UPSMON.

Nomad

Monsada, I think he didn't mean cleaning up dead AI, but rather to delete AI that aren't anywhere near any players and spawn them back when players are near, to save up on server's CPU. Currently I know there is at least some success to using UPSMON combined with AI caching scripts but I'm still not totally sure how compatible they really are.

@Monsada

I took a closer look at what you posted. Galzohar hit the nail on the head. I guess I am looking for a cacheing script built into UPSMON.

This maybe what you are explaining. I have never used the "template" feature (other than some testing in editor). I will do some testing and see what happens.

Nomad

UPSMON does not work on thirsk :S

USPS does work, but upsmon does not (i thought it was a pathing problem on the island itself)

i have not tested on other islands yet, but i might suspect the result is the same.

@Raphael

UPSMON 5.0.9

It appears now that UPSMON groups are highJacking my AI helis when they are droped into patrol area, causing my "fleeing" heli to stop and get the units back into cargo in a hot LZ.

heli is not using any UPSMON, and is also in its own group.

Currently making UPSMON useless for me in my parareinforce script.

Is this how you wanted the script to beheave?

it is not a problem in 5.0.8 R3 so im guessing it has to do with the new "noveh" option.

Request: only make AI hitch rides with UPSMON controlled vehicles and player vehicles, and if its a player in vehicle, add action to player to disembark the UPSMON hitchers incase he needed it for something else.

Edited by Demonized
added text

@Demonized

UPSMON 5.0.9 has quite a lot o changes in the behaviour of AI (group AI), some of the code was replaces so it could become incompatible with third party scripts. Example: 5.0.9 uses EvenHandlers (killed, hit, nearshoot), if you try to use own EH on UPSMON AI they will be erased and overwritten by UPSMON.

It appears now that UPSMON groups are highJacking my AI helis when they are droped into patrol area, causing my "fleeing" heli to stop and get the units back into cargo in a hot LZ.

heli is not using any UPSMON, and is also in its own group.

Sorry I do not understand fully what case are you taking about. UPSMON when uses heli take it and make it part of the group. In no fight patrol when the heli reach patrol-pos could make para-drop or land, if there is no enemy around, the same heli probably will land and pick up the group to move to the next patrol-pos. Such situation should be only when group is not in fight.

? BTW As I remember UPSMON should not take/use/occupied any vehicles which belongs to other group? So If they do it them self, it is a bug. (need sample to reproduce)

Currently making UPSMON useless for me in my parareinforce script.

Is this how you wanted the script to behave?

I do not know how your script works, probably it needs some changes to make it works with UPSMON 5.0.9 again.

noveh - is only used if you do not what in no fight patrol that UPSMON AI search for transport vehicles. If there is problem with it provide sample mission to reproduce.

PS. To all reporting problems: in most cases if the problem is "very odd, or rare" and I do not have sample mission to reproduce it - it's always is in the end of the q to be fixed.

Edited by Rafalski

some of the code was replaces so it could become incompatible with third party scripts.
what do you mean by this, im asuming you meant compatible.... and not in(not)compatible
Sorry I do not understand fully what case are you taking about. UPSMON when uses heli take it and make it part of the group. In no fight patrol when the heli reach patrol-pos could make para-drop or land, if there is no enemy around, the same heli probably will land and pick up the group to move to the next patrol-pos. Such situation should be only when group is not in fight.

? BTW As I remember UPSMON should not take/use/occupied any vehicles which belongs to other group? So If they do it them self, it is a bug. (need sample to reproduce)

yes its a bug then.

I dont use EH on any UPSMON groups, didnt know that they would be erased.

basicaly my heli group act as bus driver for my infantery group to a position and then starts upsmon on inf group and lands and inf group gets out and start patrol.

Maybe Group considers vehicle its in for "UPSMON" vehicle when upsmon is started for that group when they are in any vehicle, even if they are only placed in cargo positions, none is in driver, commander, gunner or turret. only cargo. and properly assigneAsCArgo aswell, and they are properly ordered to leave vehicle as well on land.

the only thing my heli or script has to do with the UPSMON group is create units in their own group and transport them. once out of heli, upsmon or manual waypoints take over.

Here is what happens, group1 spawned, placed in heli as cargo,

helipilot is in own seperate group2.

heli flys to a position, UPSMON is started when near position on group1 only, heli lands and kicks out all units in group1 under fire.

When all is out, heli starts to fly away, UPSMON is fully started for group1 now and group1 is inside UPSMON patrol marker.

group1 commands his units to enter heli of group2, even though the heli has no guns (merlin), now heli stops again and lands in a hot LZ while under fire the whole time from first landing to now.

all units in group1 gets aboard or gets killed trying. and heli flys away again.

I will do more tests later today and give you a proper repro mission so that there is no problem in one of us understanding the other.

I experienced this 3 times in a row in a mission, did not test any further.

Some part of the code was changed, some bug holes fixed, so some third party scripts (which uses UPSMON) might stop working as they did so far - just they need to corrected.

No! it won't work properly: generally when "UPSMON" leader is in a vehicle, this vehicle always assumed to be uses by UPSMON (now the script make sure it going to be used by UPSMON, doesn't mater the leader is in cargo or driver). This is the behaviour what should be to works the script properly. The problem that UPSMON loses commanding over vehicles was mentioned many times to me , especially after disembark cargo (inc. para drop) or the vehicle stuck in some cases.

So if you placed two UPSMON groups in the same vehicle, the last activated will take over commanding over the vehicle.

BTW. if you pack manually units in the cargo, UPSMON can lose knowing who is in the cargo.

FYI: Boarding/Using any vehicle in UPSMON is not simple: assignAS and ordergetin(or moveInCargo etc). Same as spawning groups: such things should be done by UPSMON not by third party scripts. ... in the present version of UPSMON at least.

Demonized and all you guys,

If there is part of the UPSMON code that really is an obstacle for your script and you know how to change UPSMON, that it still works as it should be and the problem is gone. send me such changed version of UPSMON, describe where did you make changes.. and if it is OK with others functions, the changes will be in next update. :)

If you need help to find out where in the code something is set up, or checked..etc. just ask and if I know I let you know, so make it easer for You to put correction into the UPSMON to make it works with your script well.

Edited by Rafalski

thank you Raphalski, that cleared that up.

can you PM me and point me to the part

generally when "UPSMON" leader is in a vehicle, this vehicle always assumed to be uses by UPSMON

and also helpful if you point out the other vehicle parts, such as the speed thing when driving, near and far from patrol marker, hitch a ride part, vehicle not in combat, in combat etc..

My main problem is that UPSMON uses alot of functions i have very little idead of how works and if it impacts other stuff.

I was thinking of modifying the vehicle parts myself, but if you can point out the important parts, that will be a helluva lot easier :)

I will ofcourse in return give you any working samples, if i come up with any :)

side note:

BTW. if you pack manually units in the cargo, UPSMON can lose knowing who is in the cargo.

FYI: Boarding/Using any vehicle in UPSMON is not simple: assignAS and ordergetin(or moveInCargo etc). Same as spawning groups: such things should be done by UPSMON not by third party scripts. ... in the present version of UPSMON at least.

yes i know this, it has been so for a long time i think, since original UPS by kronzky.

I use this to work around that:

I take a hold of the unit and group with aand give it a local name in a script before activating UPSMON and then use that local name for assigning movin orderGetout etc ... this seems to work just fine in 5.0.9 as well, both for unit and group.

Spawning i always do before activating UPSMON on group so thats no issue.

that way units are always "clean" before using UPSMON, same as if they were placed in editor, but using "spawned" param in UPSMON init line ofc.

I would like to answer here as others will benefit (and check if I'm wrong :) )

checking about leader/unit and vehicles:

look at the code part

v509 UPSMON.sqf / line the code start

301: // set the leader in the vehilce

926: _inheli = "Air" countType [vehicle (_npc)]>0;

in your case if both leaders are in heli, two groups will think they are _inheli..

so now have a look in MON_functions and look for "paradrop", or "leader" you see in how many places there are functions to check, who or where is the leader, so set the leader is driver, gunner etc.

a)

speed is not given to the vehicle but to the group, .. and is changed in many places so look for "setSpeed"

b)

there is key words: "walk" and "fight" you will find the code parts where is checking state of the group

Very important rule: UPSMON gives order only to the leader not to the individual units or vehicles. (i think only "get in" building or vehicles are given to the units, rest orders are always to the leader).

eg: if you want vehicle be in combat but not very aggressive is movements and in front of the group: leader must by man and formation VEE. -> vehicle is in front but moves as quick as leader.

If you make leader-vehicle , such vehicle could be aggressive in movements as the leader (Arma is steering the leader) wants to attack it will move very quickly (as it is the vehicle) and rest of the foot group just follow the leader.

Hello Demonized, I have been reading your problem and maybe could be solved with settings in init_upsmon parámeters.

If I understood well the problem is that when upsmon squad leave transport heli, leader orders soldiers to get in again. Well, the leader orders to get in hely because distance to destination is larger than KRON_UPS_searchVehicledist. Destination point may be patrol point into area marker or nearest known enemy. When under fire should not get in.

//Search for vehicle

if ((!_gothit && _targetdist >= ( KRON_UPS_searchVehicledist )) && _isSoldier && !_noveh) then {

if ( vehicle _npc == _npc && _dist > _closeenough ) then {

_unitsIn = [_grpid,_npc] call MON_GetIn_NearestVehicles;

The problem is that _targetdist is > KRON_UPS_searchVehicledist, we must evaluate why _targetdist is greater. _targetdist may be distance to patrol point or distance to nearest target.

If hely has transported to patrol point this distance should not be greatest unless:

a- land point is too far from patrol mark position or

b- area to patrol is so bigger.

If a, landing position is far than patrol mark try to aproach mark or put a larger value on KRON_UPS_searchVehicledist.

If b, patrol area is bigger increase KRON_UPS_searchVehicledist to 1000 or 1200 or reduce area of patrol mark.

In any case I think in your case you will solve the proble puting a larger value on KRON_UPS_searchVehicledist. Let me know if this solves your problem and which are the parámeters of your mission.

KRON_UPS_searchVehicledist?

KRON_UPS_sharedist?

how big is area of patrol marker, larger than KRON_UPS_searchVehicledist?

units land on patrol mark?

i used default settings for 5.0.9

KRON_UPS_searchVehicledist = 600;

KRON_UPS_sharedist = 600;

Area marker was 500 , 500.

group started UPSMON inside heli when heli was at unload position and then group exited heli as before.

This was ca center of marker. maybe 100 from center.

group was only west group running UPSMON in mission, enemy was 8 groups of east.

I had debug on aswell in UPSMON and saw on map that wp of UPSMON group was not more than 200 away, maybe less.

Enemy groups, ca 100, 200 meter away spread around landing zone so West group was completely surrounded.

Bullets flying all over, very hot LZ, debug reported that all enemy groups had detected heli, and was detecting the various west units in group when they started exiting heli.

Other west groups was heli pilot, and he was only using waypoints and was in his own group.

and 3 other groups of west units 8000meter away(otther side of map) not using UPSMON, just part of some previous tests wich i had not deleted.

They only stood still.

I was spectator as civilian, and this setCaptured true;

This never happend in 5.0.7 to 5.0.8 R3. it came with 5.0.9 and i just asumed it had something to do with the new "noveh" param. and maybe some changes in the 1.59 official patch.

I am running A2 CO BAF + PMC all full. patch 1.59.

I am a super noob at all of this so please pardon my simplicity. I have been using Kronskys UPS, making simple sp missions and love it. UPSMON looks freeking incredible, and I am anxious to try it out. Are the directions unpack RAR into user mission folder still correct? And do I have to remove the files for the Kronskys UPS?

Thank you for your time.

Thank you Lonestar for responding. I googled 'how to install UPSMON' and your linked site was returned. My concern was/is this:

Edit your init.sqf and add next lines:

//Init UPSMON script

call compile preprocessFileLineNumbers "scripts\Init_UPSMON.sqf";

Like I said, I am VERY new to all of this. I have learned a little about adding parameters to the INIT of units in the editor, but I still have not learned to edit any of the actual game files myself.

If I have to go into the game's program and add/alter the above code, could someone give me a walk through, as I would prefer to not have to un/reinstall my game because I botched something by flying blind.

Again, if anyone can help me with this, I appreciate it.

If you save a mission you are making or editing and go to where the save folder is, inside you can create an init.sqf that gets read and executed everytime you start the mission.

To do this, create a simple .txt file and change it's name AND extension to "init.sqf" (it'll ask you whether you want to change the extension).

After that simply follow the instructions on the site you just mentioned to use UPSMON.

No worries about changing the program or such, you're simply creating a file that gets read by the program...

@tod - simply download UPSMON and copy whatever is in there to your own mission folder.

remember that if you have a init.sqf and/or a description.ext already in there this will be overwritten, so you need to copy what you have into init.sqf and description.ext before you place all in your mission folder.

Antigoon, thank you--I was uder the impression that I had to change a line of script in the actual Arma2 program itself, which made me nervous.

And thank you Demonized. So using UPSMON is basically as simple to load as Kronskys UPS was (save a mission in the editor and then put all the UPSMON files into it--done), but with the added parameter customization functionality.

Again, the quick responses are appreciated. The potential this mod provides sounds incredible, almost limitless. The relative ease of use is also appreciated. Whoever conceived of and made this a reality did a lot of things right.

@tod - yes.

UPS is the landrover, UPSMON is the landrover with helipad on the roof, minibar, and a stripper pole on the flight deck.

Is there any conclusion yet on if UPSMON (version now) is compatiable with ZEUS AI?

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

what do you mean by this, im asuming you meant compatible.... and not in(not)compatible

yes its a bug then.

I dont use EH on any UPSMON groups, didnt know that they would be erased.

basicaly my heli group act as bus driver for my infantery group to a position and then starts upsmon on inf group and lands and inf group gets out and start patrol.

Maybe Group considers vehicle its in for "UPSMON" vehicle when upsmon is started for that group when they are in any vehicle, even if they are only placed in cargo positions, none is in driver, commander, gunner or turret. only cargo. and properly assigneAsCArgo aswell, and they are properly ordered to leave vehicle as well on land.

the only thing my heli or script has to do with the UPSMON group is create units in their own group and transport them. once out of heli, upsmon or manual waypoints take over.

heli flys to a position, UPSMON is started when near position on group1 only, heli lands and kicks out all units in group1 under fire.

When all is out, heli starts to fly away, UPSMON is fully started for group1 now and group1 is inside UPSMON patrol marker.

group1 commands his units to enter heli of group2, even though the heli has no guns (merlin), now heli stops again and lands in a hot LZ while under fire the whole time from first landing to now.

all units in group1 gets aboard or gets killed trying. and heli flys away again.

I will do more tests later today and give you a proper repro mission so that there is no problem in one of us understanding the other.

I experienced this 3 times in a row in a mission, did not test any further.

I know using the older version UPS patrol script works just fine with what you are looking to do here - Have a patrol group board a AI Helicopter and be transported / inserted .....At which point the UPS Patrol will leave / unload from the Helicopter and begin to patrol its script. UPS works fine with this -

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

UPSMON5_0_9.zip

Sat, 02 Apr 2011 10:45:13 +0000 65.4 kB 78 1f4fbe08b08804fee2f213deb2778e00

Is this the latest version?

5.0.9 is latest.

just guessing, but i think UPSMON have turned even further away from ZeusAI now. but raphael is the best to answer that.

I know using the older version UPS patrol script works just fine with what you are looking to do here - Have a patrol group board a AI Helicopter and be transported / inserted .....At which point the UPS Patrol will leave / unload from the Helicopter and begin to patrol its script. UPS works fine with this -

yes i know, UPS is still great and lightweight, and are still far from "too old to use", i keep both UPS and UPSMON handy.

Edited by Demonized

I don't think any AI scripts are fully compatible with Zeus AI. Sure they should all work together with Zeus AI, but they will often give AI conflicting orders. Usually it's not a big deal, but at times can be annoying.