Sign in to follow this  
dimitri_harkov

DIH 1970s Generic African Units

I'm following Vilas P85 development and I think you may use more of his vehicles (and also a couple of jet, i.e. the mig21 from racs and the takistani jet from oper arrowhead).

Then you may add your troop the possbility of using backpack and you could create a new faction of mercenary with paramilitary clothes, not using elmets but different berrets etc ..

I'm a great fan of the 80's battles and a little disappointed by the fact all the units addons are modern type with microphones, 20th century equipment, headphones etc. etc ...

Your addons may be the base for a very nice missions pack or capaign based on the movie "dogs of war" or based on the game "jagged alliance" ...

Then you may add your troop the possbility of using backpack and you could create a new faction of mercenary with paramilitary clothes, not using elmets but different berrets etc ..

Agreed, this would be cool. I made a couple of missions based on mercenary types, using the 'rebel' faction from P85. Mostly OD green with baseball caps etc. They look OK but a proper mercenary faction would be great. Weren't you working on one of those anyway, Dmitri?

Also, I've said it before in this thread but some generic African civilians would greatly enhance any missions made on Africa terrains.

Indeed, once Vilas releases the 'split' versions of P'85 he is working on ATM, I should indeed update this.

But I'm not entirely satisfied with the soldier models available... I even started experimenting with new ones, but due to my commitments to my community and Hell in the Pacifc, and my lack of skill, progress is VERY slow.

African civilians are available already:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=96521&highlight=african+civilians

and there is even an other version that comes with Isla Duala by Icebreakr, AFAIK.

On mercenaries: Indeed I worked on those too.

Here are two WIP pics of some of them on Icebreakr's excellent Lingor Island:

aaptry31.th.jpgaaponlingor1.th.jpg

They work like a charm and have a nice selection of weapons, but I'm still not satisfied enough with their quality to release them (they HAVE backpacks, by the way ;))

But thanks for the input everyone - keep it coming.

Cheers,

D.

Yes I know about those civilians, my point was that they are too modern to include in any historical scenario. They are all plastered with modern clothing logos and web addresses. They'd look silly in a mission that was set in the 70's alongside your African opfor.

Well, yeah, I agree. But I think they would still look off even with a retexture, because the model itself looks too modern.

But maybe I should contact Icewindo for permission to retexture them anyway.

Don't know if its me - but the updated P85 files seem to conflict with the original DIH units - I get a CTD when trying to add the Helicopter units & some soldiers are missing weapons.

-Chapman

Yeah I know.

But since DIH Africa is undergoing a major transformation at the moment, it's highly unlikely that I hotfix this prior to the next release - sorry.

Cheers,

D.

Awesome - just thought I'd let you know as I hadn't seen anyone else report it.

Will put the DIH guys back on the shelf for the time being.

-Chapman

Here's a WIP picture showing the direction DIH Africa will go for the next release:

dihafricanrebelswip3lq.jpg

(shot taken on Icebreakr's excellent Lingor island)

I won't use any direct copies of P'85 models anymore.

I created new ones out of Vilas' models and threw them together with stuff from the ArmA 1 sample models and Icewindoo's scavangers, along with some very minor crap created by myself.

There's a lot of variation now.

Many different 'uniforms', gear, headgear, backpacks...

The guerilla factions will all have a wild mix of colours and gear, that's why I introduced the (optional) arm badges for easier recognition in the field.

The badges in the pic form left to right: FNLA (Angola), no badge :), Movimiento 26 de Julio (Cuba), PAIGC (Guinea-Bissau), UNITA (Angola), MPLA (Angola).

The Portuguese will get their 'vertical lizard' camo again, but this time hopefully on some more accurate units ;)

The next version will require Combined Operations.

Cheers,

D.

Nice to see that :) Thanks Dimitri_Harkov

I dont know if anybody has read "The Third World War" by Sir John Hacket but your addons, with new version of "Project 85" and "Isla Duala" is perfect for African operation theather with soviet military consultant and more...we can make a great scenario..

And the Angolan War of Independence...

PS : I recommend this book.

dihafricanrebelswip4lq.jpg

Again some WIP pics. The Portuguese Vertical Lizard needs to be a bit more grey I guess.

I intend to release a 'light' version of the mod too, this time, with no additional requirements other than to have Combined Operations. Those Commandos on that pic are from that pack, hence the fancy stock-BIS weapons.

The main pack will still need Project '85.

Cheers,

D.

@Dimitri_Harkov is that a new chopper or is it from Bush Wars Arma1 Mod? :)

No, it's indeed the SA330 Puma by ObmaR from BWC - well spotted! :)

But it was aleady part of the original DIH Africa release.

Here is another w.i.p. pic, this time showing two of the mercenary camos:

dihafricanrebelswip5lq.jpg

To the left is some sort of 'Tiger Stripe'-Camo, in the middle the good old Austrian Erbsenflecktarn (I just couldn't help adding it ;)).

Weapons by Vilas, pic taken on Icebreakr's Lingor Island.

Special thanks to Mendias for the high-res camo pics.

Cheers,

D.

Nice, i like the "Tiger Stripe Camo" :). A question i understand the main pack will need P85 addons, which a great pack, but will there be a cutdown version too without the need for P85?

I'm glad you like it :)

Since I got permission to use almost everything I need from different addon makers (including Vilas, trouble, ObmaR, Waxbutter and others - thanks a lot! :D), the final version will not need P'85 anymore.

It will be stand alone or at worst require CBA.

Cheers,

D.

Edited by Dimitri_Harkov

I'm glad you like it :)

Since I got permission to use almost everything I need from different addon makers (including Vilas, trouble, ObmaR and others - thanks a lot! :D), the final version will not need P'85 anymore.

It will be stand alone or at worst require CBA.

Cheers,

D.

Thats some good news, especially regards to permissions :), i might look at creating some generic 80s era special forces :)