Sign in to follow this  
CaptainBravo

Attaching search light to chopper ?

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if there was a way to attach a search light to the bottom of a chopper for search missions ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The attachTo command would be of help I think

You could then put a Game Logic in the seat I think which will turn it on without a unit in it, you could maybe also devise some sort of script that uses lookAt to sweep around.

Im just throwing ideas around here since I'm not personally good enough to accomplish it.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I am familiar with attachto command. However I am having touble understanding the numbers:

light attachTo [chop,[0,0,2]];

Light= Search Light

Chop=Chopper

The search light is approx 2 meters on top of chop. How do I:

Flip 180 so it is facing ground and how do get just below chopper?

Thanks for the advice in advance.

This is what I have been attemopting to use:

light1 attachTo [chop,[0,-2,0]]; light1 setVectorDirAndUp [[0, 0, -1],[0, -1, 0]];

Light1 is searchlight

I have been playing with the numbers and the position of light is all over chopper and cannot get it to go underneath the chopper.

Ughh!

light1 attachTo [chop,[0,-2,-1.6]]; light1 setVectorDirAndUp [[0, 0, -1],[0, -1, 0]];

works well for the UH-1Y

do a search and youll find a script that puts a motorcycle headlight or similar at the bottom of the chopper, then deletes the cycle....it runs bigger and brighter and can be adjusted-- it looks really great too. I found that works best

sry dont have it handy

@F2k Sel: thanks ofr your response. I have tried but the gunner (from light) falls down as soon as chopper takes off. How do you get the light to work?

@katdogfizzow: Thanks fir the tip. I have done a bit of search but could not come up with a post. Motorcycleheadlight ceratinly sounds very interesting to say the least! Thanks for any links you may post.

The problem is that if an object tilts above a certain angle the man gets out.

I found the motorcycle could be angled down more than any other object without the man jumping out.

However I have a fix for the searchlight and keeping the man in position.

light1 enableSimulation false;light1 attachTo [chop,[0,-2,-1.6]]; light1 setVectorDirAndUp [[0, 0, -1],[0, -1, 0]]

And as Katdogfizzow said you can delete the object completely by using deletecollection light1 and your left with just the beam of the light

You do know that if you put the chopper in safe mode it has it's own searchlight although it's angled forwards rather than straight down.

Edited by F2k Sel

Thanks F2k Sel, the configs you gave work well. Any chance of having similar configs for other choppers (east mainly Mi) ? And do you by any chance have a link to the motorcycle headlight one?

Thanks for your help.

I only ever used the UH-1Y with a searchlight.

I wouldn't bother with the motorcycle I only used that as at the time as the man kept falling out of the searchlight and when using the other vehicles, of course they have two lights which was another problem.

It's also not that bright either, I thought it was at the time so maybe they've tweaked it in the patches.

To stick a light in the Mi8 it would be

light1 attachTo [chop,[0,4,-2.3]]; light1 setVectorDirAndUp [[0, 0, -1],[0, -1, 0]]; light1 enableSimulation false;deletecollection light1

the only bit changed is light1 attachTo [chop,[0,4,-2.3]];

Edited by F2k Sel

Ok, I think I found it. try this in the Init:

light = "#lightpoint" createVehicleLocal position this; light setLightBrightness 0.5; light setLightAmbient[0.0, 0.0, 0.0]; light setLightColor[1.0, 1.0, 1.0]; light lightAttachObject [this, [0,0,-10]];light = "#lightpoint" createVehicleLocal position this; light setLightBrightness 0.5; light setLightAmbient[0.0, 0.0, 0.0]; light setLightColor[1.0, 1.0, 1.0]; light lightAttachObject [this, [0,0,-20]];

Just out of curiosity since I am here. Would it be possible to get a searchlight to follow around the turrent on the Cobra? Ie. If the gunner is looking left, the light look's left. Etc.?

This is mine config ;)

For UH-1Y:

light enableSimulation false; light attachTo [chopp,[0,-3.3,-0.5]]; light setVectorDirAndUp [[0, 1.9, -1],[0, -1, 0]];

For MH-60s:

light enableSimulation false; light attachTo [chopp,[0,5,-0.9]]; light setVectorDirAndUp [[0, 1.9, -1],[0, -1, 0]];

For MI-8MT/MI-8MTV3/MI17:

light enableSimulation false; light attachTo [chopp,[0,6.5,-1.2]]; light setVectorDirAndUp [[0, 1.9, -1],[0, -1, 0]];

For AH-1Z:

light enableSimulation false; light attachTo [chopp,[0,3.7,-0.2]]; light setVectorDirAndUp [[0, 1.9, -1],[0, -1, 0]];

For Ka-52:

light enableSimulation false; light attachTo [chopp,[0,3.7,-0.7]]; light setVectorDirAndUp [[0, 1.9, -1],[0, -1, 0]];

Attention!!! This is look so weird when you are in chopper with attached light (you can see legs on glass, or can't see nothing). Enjoy :)

Why using scripts? Some Choppers have a kind of searchlights by default. E.g. the Venom or the KA52 have searchlights. Just put them on "SAFE" and they'll activate lights.

That really sucks! I use it in sooo many things including working flashlighs!

Why get rid of it?? Ughh :confused: