Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta!

Here is my idiots guide to how to do it:

1. Download six Updater

2. Run Six Updater

3. Choose #1- start webclient

4. Six-Updater web site comes up. (if it does not retry number 3)

5. go to the Main menue and fill in the details.

6. Press auto execute

7. You should now have another cmd window displaying in back ground on desktop, showing update progress.

are you setting this up for a client, or for a server? And if its server.. windows or linux? and do you have remote desktop access?

Here is my idiots guide to how to do it:

1. Download six Updater

2. Run Six Updater

3. Choose #1- start webclient

4. Six-Updater web site comes up. (if it does not retry number 3)

5. go to the Main menue and fill in the details.

6. Press auto execute

7. You should now have another cmd window displaying in back ground on desktop, showing update progress.

KK right i'm upto stage 5 but what details are required ?

and its a windows server 2008 set up

maybe its best at this point to follow the "Lazy" instructions from http://dev-heaven.net/wiki/ace-mod2/Lazy

you basically skip using the web client, download one of the premade configuration files linked there, either for the arma2 beta or the vanilla client, and drop that file into the directory where you installed six updater.

then you start six updater, press 2, enjoy.

maybe its best at this point to follow the "Lazy" instructions from http://dev-heaven.net/wiki/ace-mod2/Lazy

you basically skip using the web client, download one of the premade configuration files linked there, either for the arma2 beta or the vanilla client, and drop that file into the directory where you installed six updater.

then you start six updater, press 2, enjoy.

That is what i thought, but it did and does not work for some of us.

Yep, just did that.

The problem must be with the US.Special Force Group from ACEX.

Was running fine till i placed the group and tried to start, crash-and arma2 still running. This happened now 3 times without any other addons then Cba,ACE and ACEX. Allways when placing the Army Special Force Group.

Yep, I can confirm this problem, I put a SF team in the editor and boom, back to desktop, only running ACE/ACEX/CBA/and the latest beta

well, then its as simple as using the web client, clicking "configuration" on the menu, hitting synchronise. waiting for that action to complete. Mouseover configuration, choose "presets". click on whichever profile youre going to use, i.e. beta. click edit to the right. scroll down to addons. select whichever addon from the dropdown list and click "insert existing" or whatever the button is. repeat for CBA, ACE, ACEX, and maybe some of the other stuff that catches your eye. Hit "Update" at the bottom of the page. Click on "Main" on the menu. Select "beta" as the profile and "install / Update" as the action. Hit execute.

Some button names may be off.

{SAS} STALKER

Their are boxes with choices.

I picked

1. Beta

2. Commando server

3. Then i clicked Auto execute

I have;

Preset : Beta/Vanilla

Action : install update, install update start etc etc

then an override option both of which have no options in the drop downs.

I have;

Preset : Beta/Vanilla

Action : install update, install update start etc etc

then an override option both of which have no options in the drop downs.

Go to Configuration->Presets, where you will find the beta and vanilla configs. Choose one of them and click "Edit". Now you'll see a configuration screen. Scroll down pretty far until you see a section marked "Mods". In there you will find a dropdown list full of mod names next to a button named "Add existing". Using the dropdown list to select the mods, add @CBA, @ACE and @ACEX. Once you have done that and can see them in the list above, hit the "Update" button at the bottom.

Now go back to the "main" screen, select beta or vanilla (whichever you just worked on), select "install or update" and hit "execute".

its created a shortcut (rather dangerously I'll add because it points to arma2.exe and not arma2server.exe) that when launched asks for a DVD.

Thank god it did that or else we would have just incurred a restart fee on the co-lo box

Yep, I can confirm this problem, I put a SF team in the editor and boom, back to desktop, only running ACE/ACEX/CBA/and the latest beta

Narrowed it down to the Assault Rifleman and the Heavy Gunner, I went through all the units under ACE/Special Forces and those were the only units to crash the game. I even tried placing a group in the editor and took out the Heavy Gunner and there were no problems

Our current shortcut switches are ;

"E:\Program files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\ArmA2Server.exe" -port=51100 -name=server1 -config=server1\server1.cfg -cfg=server1\basic1.cfg -profiles=server1

the new one its created is;"E:\Program files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -noSplash -noFilePatching -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX

can I simply add the -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX to the end of the current one ?

and what happens to the current config file as that lists maps ?

Our current shortcut switches are ;

"E:\Program files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\ArmA2Server.exe" -port=51100 -name=server1 -config=server1\server1.cfg -cfg=server1\basic1.cfg -profiles=server1

the new one its created is;"E:\Program files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -noSplash -noFilePatching -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX

can I simply add the -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX to the end of the current one ?

and what happens to the current config file as that lists maps ?

You shouldn't just go clicking on shortcuts, mate. What that script has effectively done is install the mod. The shortcut is just to play it, which you obviously don't intend to do. ;)

Yeah, you can add the -mod=... string to the end of your standard shortcut, just make sure rsync has finished loading all the files before you run it. Your server shortcut should look something like this:

"E:\Program files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\ArmA2Server.exe" -port=51100 -name=server1 -config=server1\server1.cfg -cfg=server1\basic1.cfg -profiles=server1 -mod=@CBA;@ACE;@ACEX
Your config files should not be affected at all.

EDIT: Oh, and you may need to copy the ACE keys into your servers main keys directory. At least I had to do that with my local dedicated server.

@Heavy SF Gunner issue:

Thanks for the reports, should be resolved in upcoming update!

@Stalker

If you have no servers to select on the main page, click on "Configuration", empty the username and login fields, and click synchronize.

Suddenly things should start working and make more sense :)

Just FYI; even if you had ran arma2.exe, you wouldnt have to reset your server :) Also, you fix that by adjusting settings, app_exe, to actually point to arma2server.exe instead of the usual exe ;)

Some people seem to like to enter credentials for services they don't even have :D

Edited by Sickboy

KK well its running again, no idea if its running ACE or not (dont have ARMA2 installed, i'm just the server gibbon )

Are there any stats tracking stuff with ACE ?

Can I also add my thanks for the time youve all spent on me :)

Narrowed it down to the Assault Rifleman and the Heavy Gunner, I went through all the units under ACE/Special Forces and those were the only units to crash the game. I even tried placing a group in the editor and took out the Heavy Gunner and there were no problems

i have problem with Special Forces too

but why it happend?

A question on the philosophy of the mod itself: Is the ACE team working actively with gathering up other bits and pieces in the modding community or are you going it alone, sort of speak?

Just curious, as usual. As ACE isnt a total conversion (I mean its not WWII or whatever) there seems to be plenty of high quality small mods that could be absorbed into it. Take for example the Chinook thats in a thread next to this one last time I looked.

This would be better for us players and it would be better for the guys making the small mods. I cant think of anything more pleasing than seeing your work actually used.

Just thought i'd add my server to the mix :) Having some good fun atm, everytime i play i just love ACE and ArmA2 in general even more. Now if only i could convince a few others in the team, to stop being lazy and install the game.

^BOB^ Killzone | ACE2 |

IP:- 193.47.83.48

Port:- 2310

Cheers lads...

@Murklor:

We have contributed / donated content, but also our own.

Feature requests / feedback / suggestions, please in our issue tracker.

With the ACEX structure we can virtually accomodate any addon setting, like the ACEX-PLA (by Fromz) is under way.

Edited by Sickboy