Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment - Public Beta!

Are you sure? If it's my mission for some reason the 2nd HC group is under F1.(Usually I've seen the player group F1) So if you try to order around the F2 unit nothing happens, cause your ordering yourself around. Check to make sure that's not it.

---------- Post added at 08:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

No doubt. Everyday I realize how great this mod is. Let's not forget how great A2 is as well. BIS really gave these guys a great canvas to work with. What I love about this mod is it unlocks the true ability of what this game is and can be.

Cheers to Sickboy and all the ACE2 guys, and to BIS for such a wicked game!

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

Me too!!!!

sorry dude I am not playing your mission just using ACE2.

i need some help. i downloaded all the ace 7z files. now what? just make mod folders?

Tried the sight adjustment on a target 1300m away with a tac50. Adjusted the value according to the range table provided by the shot is WAY WAY WAY off low, about 100m off the target. Solutions?

So are there any plans to add more Eastern/OPFOR equipment to ACE2?

So many toys for West, the Russians are feeling left out of the fun. lol

and a small continuation on BigMorgans question. Are there plans on adding more units? For west/east/guerilla? And if so, what type of units?

I'm having an issue with sandbags, maybe someone can help me out:

Supposedly you can do it up to where you can mount a weapon on a sandbag wall you make. However, I can't get it higher than four sandbags, which isn't high enough to mount...Am I doing something wrong, or is this the way it's made?

Morning :) Good to see everyone's been able to duplicate the first 50 pages, into the last 40 :D

I dont think we force anything to expert :)

If you're trying to lock-on laser-guided bombs, you'd better first get a buddy on the ground or in a vehicle with laser designator, and get the target painted :)

If it are free-fall bombs, afaik they are not supposed to be locked, as they're free-fall bombs.

Okay, the AV-8B Harrier II Plus used by the USMC has a targeting pod and also a guidance systems on their "gravity bombs". I was extremely disappointed in the fact that A.C.E. 2 developers actually took that "lock" feature out. I honestly feel as though the realism has been taken out of the Harrier. You guys should have added a targeting system to the AV-8B rather than removing a default function. There is no use for the Attack Harrier within Arma II now.

originally posted by sickboy

morning good to see everyone's been able to duplicate the first 50 pages, into the last 40

i dont think we force anything to expert

if you're trying to lock-on laser-guided bombs, you'd better first get a buddy on the ground or in a vehicle with laser designator, and get the target painted

if it are free-fall bombs, afaik they are not supposed to be locked, as they're free-fall bombs.

Okay, the av-8b harrier ii plus used by the usmc has a targeting pod and also a guidance systems on their "gravity bombs". I was extremely disappointed in the fact that a.c.e. 2 developers actually took that "lock" feature out. I honestly feel as though the realism has been taken out of the harrier. You guys should have added a targeting system to the av-8b rather than removing a default function. There is no use for the attack harrier within arma ii now.

i agree this is pretty gay

So you guys want unguided bombs that can guide themselves onto a target that's nearly 20 degrees off-axis?

I think you're playing the wrong game gentlemen. Thank you to the ACE team for fixing what was a broken Harrier.

Okay, the AV-8B Harrier II Plus used by the USMC has a targeting pod and also a guidance systems on their "gravity bombs". I was extremely disappointed in the fact that A.C.E. 2 developers actually took that "lock" feature out. I honestly feel as though the realism has been taken out of the Harrier. You guys should have added a targeting system to the AV-8B rather than removing a default function. There is no use for the Attack Harrier within Arma II now.

Are we talking ARMA versus real life here?

If so, the post you made is kinda true but more untrue. AV-8's are equiped with a targeting pod yes. But no, freefall or "unguided" bombs are still unguided after release. You cannot "lock" an unguided munition onto anything. The targeting pod on an aircraft when used with unguided bombs is mearly used by the aircrafts computer to assist in calculating a release point for the bomb to make a projected guess as where the point of impact will be. The guidance functions for aircraft within ARMA is extremely simplistic. If you want any kind of somewhat realistic feature, try using Mondo's scripts. The new stuff incorperates a CCIP function on the HUD "somewhat" like the real thing does to give a reference point to where the point of impact will be. I say "somewhat" because it is still very simplistic but it is definetly better.

And those "unguided" bombs with nose and fin kits that you are referring to that the Marines are using makes them technically a "precision" or "guided" munition. Those are either GBU's(laser guided as on the A-10) or JDAMS(GPS guided weapons). The target pod(some versions) are capable of using laser and slant ranging to generate GPS coordinated that can be passed onto a bombs guidance system. But exactly as I said before, these are no longer "unguided" munitions any more. All the bomb bodies of these weapons start out using the same body, it's the nose(if added) and tail kits added to them that either make them "guided" or "unguided" munitions.

By them removing the "lock" function, they have not made anything any less realistic. The folks that built ARMA in the first place just did not incorperate the correct HUD symbology and systems to make them resemble how they are employed in the real thing.

Edited by daredbarn

If so, the post you made is kinda true but more untrue. AV-8's are equiped with a targeting pod yes. But no, freefall or "unguided" bombs are still unguided after release. You cannot "lock" an unguided munition onto anything. The targeting pod on an aircraft when used with unguided bombs is mearly used by the aircrafts computer to assist in calculating a release point for the bomb to make a projected guess as where the point of impact will be. The guidance functions for aircraft within ARMA is extremely simplistic. If you want any kind of somewhat realistic feature, try using Mondo's scripts. The new stuff incorperates a CCIP function on the HUD "somewhat" like the real thing does to give a reference point to where the point of impact will be. I say "somewhat" because it is still very simplistic but it is definetly better.

And those "unguided" bombs with nose and fin kits that you are referring to that the Marines are using makes them technically a "precision" or "guided" munition. Those are either GBU's(laser guided as on the A-10) or JDAMS(GPS guided weapons). The target pod(some versions) are capable of using laser and slant ranging to generate GPS coordinated that can be passed onto a bombs guidance system. But exactly as I said before, these are no longer "unguided" munitions any more. All the bomb bodies of these weapons start out using the same body, it's the nose(if added) and tail kits added to them that either make them "guided" or "unguided" munitions.

By them removing the "lock" function, they have not made anything any less realistic. The folks that built ARMA in the first place just did not incorperate the correct HUD symbology and systems to make them resemble how they are employed in the real thing.

^^^^^ This. The ARBS is an outdated targeting system that can only give you an estimate of when you should release, assuming you re lined up properly, to maybe hit the target.

Edited by anfiach

Learn to read man we want guided bombs they made them unguid for some reason

I'm wondering if there are any plans for islands in the future, like the ACE Island pack. That would be nice but I'd much prefer a couple of HQ islands than the old converts, not saying they would be bad though. A nice 'desert-like' afghan/iraq would be nice to help with some performance issues and to reflect upon modern ongoing conflits as a realism aspect.

If new islands are released then will they be released under the current @ACE or @ACEX (presumably most viable option) folders? It would be nice to see it done this way as personally I fear that many servers will decide not to run the extra islands if they where separated. And also, many players will missed and not installed the appropriate files to join in servers that are using 3rd party islands.

The downside of this is that servers or clients will not have a choice to enable or disable the islands when running Extras or mod, but really, there is no disadvantage in that. Secondly, islands are usually or sometimes consist of large data and distributing them through updates may not be as feasible, problems like this could be reduced by distributing a set of core files for each island first?

I'm just saying this because I thought that the islands where a feature which were under-utilised in ArmA1 and could have been a great addition.

Edited by Dead3yez

Learn to read man we want guided bombs they made them unguid for some reason

Use a laser designator. or are you trying to say that doesn't work?

Even better, check the loadout of the plane first and see if it is carrying mk 82 or GBU, if its not GBU then you cant lock anyway.

Edited by anfiach

Use a laser designator. or are you trying to say that doesn't work?

I think there are complaints about the freefall bombs that are loaded on the Harrier. The Harrier has two versions normally, one with 4 GBU-12's and one with 6 freefall Mk-82's. For whatever reason, there are complaints that there is no way to "guide" the freefall bombs to a specific target, which is true, and realistic as they are freefall "unguided" munitions. The issue should not be with the ACE folks but with the initial coding that left out a correct targeting method for using these bombs.

I haven't checked, but I would say that the model with the GBU loaded is still in ARMA even with ACE loaded? Yes? NO? Maybe it just needs put into whatever mission they are playing?

I digress....

Edited by daredbarn

Yeah, pretty much, all you can do now is shoot down enemy aircraft. The HUD idea would be a wise fix by the ACE team if they didn't want to give the mrk's guidance. Either way, they removed something and didn't improve upon it. I would actually be happy either by fixing the hud and giving proper symbology for the dumb bombs, or re-introducing the lock feature and making the mrks guided hints the nose and tail fin work which was introduced around the Gulf War era. "Dumb bombs" are not dumb anymore these days. And this is exactly what the creators of the game are trying to get at with that feature.

Yeah, pretty much, all you can do now is shoot down enemy aircraft. The HUD idea would be a wise fix by the ACE team if they didn't want to give the mrk's guidance. Either way, they removed something and didn't improve upon it. I would actually be happy either by fixing the hud and giving proper symbology for the dumb bombs, or re-introducing the lock feature and making the mrks guided hints the nose and tail fin work which was introduced around the Gulf War era. "Dumb bombs" are not dumb anymore these days. And this is exactly what the creators of the game are trying to get at with that feature.

They are unguided "dumb bombs" they cannot be guided. The BIS implementation effectively made them laser guided.

Nose and tail kits signify an LGB type weapon that is laser guided. These, as you say were developed around the Gulf War era. A JDAM is comprised of only a tail kit for the most part as the GPS antenna and inertial guidance unit is all compiled into one section.

The lock feature would be more suited if someone were to create a JDAM bomb model. Still, although very simplistic in use, you can more or less independently target a certain point(non-moving target) with much in the way of the same capability.

I can agree with you that some sort of HUD symbology to give you a correct point of impact would be nice. I messed around with Mondo's addon and that was one of the things I really like about it. You didn't have to guess so much where a bomb was going to land. Maybe that is already in the plans for the future? Maybe they can incorperate something of their own or even get Mondo's scripts in there? I don't follow the ARMA developer stuff so I don't know the situation. I know there are mixed feeling between some groups and what not, I just don't pay attention to whom and for why. I don't really agree with the old way either so I am on either side of the fence about it not being there.

Edited by daredbarn

I think he is referring to the Paveway IV which is not in game at all.

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

I agree it would be nice to mark a position on the map and have the hud tell you when to release.

Nose and tail kits signify an LGB type weapon that is laser guided. These, as you say were developed around the Gulf War era. A JDAM is comprised of only a tail kit for the most part as the GPS antenna and inertial guidance unit is all compiled into one section.

The lock feature would be more suited if someone were to create a JDAM bomb model. Still, although very simplistic in use, you can more or less independently target a certain point(non-moving target) with much in the way of the same capability.

I can agree with you that some sort of HUD symbology to give you a correct point of impact would be nice. I messed around with Mondo's addon and that was one of the things I really like about it. You didn't have to guess so much where a bomb was going to land. Maybe that is already in the plans for the future? I don't know. I don't really agree with the old way either so I am on either side of the fence about it not being there.

Okay, well now that you mention it the CCIP feature would be best. And I think that would probably be the best proposition for the ACE team. There should definitely be a fix for this. I am not too happy with the fact that these bombs can not be placed with precision instrumentation or targeting any longer. You have to agree with me, with no sort of targeting system the 6 mrk. 82's are pointless now. You will be lucky to get 1 bomb to hit within proximity.

There are also other fix's for this problem. The USMC Harrier can fly with AGM-65 ordnance as well, that would be quite a good modification if the ACE team were up for it.

I think he is referring to the Paveway IV which is not in game at all.

---------- Post added at 02:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:46 AM ----------

I agree it would be nice to mark a position on the map and have the hud tell you when to release.

Someone with the right skills(Not I :D) could probably make something like that. You have to ba able to incorperate being able to target and indiviual spot on the map(like being GPS guided) or be able to lock onto a laser spot all with the same weapon. I don't know what kind of work-around would have to be used as you wouldn't be able to target vehicles, rather only a stationary point on the map. But, I will leave it at that since we are getting way off topic of the purpose of this thread.