Sign in to follow this  
[frl]myke

GLT Signs 2.0

Since i think there were quite a few people using the GLT signs addon back in ArmA 1, i guess it's not the badest idea to rework them and port them over to ArmA 2.

372-glt_signs1.jpg

What is it?

Each of these objects has at least one surface (Dangersign has two) which allows texture changings directly in the Missioneditor. Use setObjectTexture to apply custom poster and roadsigns.

Credits:

Models and original textures are taken from ArmA 1, therefor credits to BIS.

Changes:

Reworked normal and specular map.

Completely redone .rvmat files.

Some minor tweakings.

Known errors:

None until now. ArmA2.rpt shows no error at all.

Included files and folders:

file: glt_signs.pbo

file: glt_signs.pbo.GLT_ADDONS.bisign

file: GLT_ADDONS.bikey

folder: tex_templates

In the folder "tex_templates" you'll find a template picture for each type of sign which makes it easier for you to create your own picture which will fit perfectly.

One note: the template for the sample_narrow.png has size 512x456. After editing you have to scale it to 512x512 (or a similar resolution like 1024x1024, you get the point). At this point the pic may look stretched but it will fit afterwards ingame.

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/?z4mzohdhgno

Mirrors:

www.armaholic.com (thx Foxy ;) )

Unbinarized Folder:

If you're interested to work on them, here is the addon folder unpacked and unbinarized. So you can load them in O2 and change them to your needs. All files are included, also textures, rvmat, model.cfg and config.cpp.

Unbinarized Addon Folder

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Thanks Myke.....I've made this my personal project to make some Clan signs for our server....AGE....thx....now all I got to do is figure out how to use what you've given us.....colour me.....N00B in this area...but I'll do my homework and get it done.

Thanks for the sign pack. This will go well with the CITY LIFE2 mod and helping ID some locations on the EVO map I have been working on.

This looks very nice but I haven't had much luck with how to properly work them. If someone could make a very simple mission with 1 sign I think I could figure it out.

Thanks mate! so you authorise peoples to use thats? and make modification, and release addons, take small part of your work into new one addons? thanks to answers, very important!

Thanks mate! so you authorise peoples to use thats? and make modification, and release addons, take small part of your work into new one addons? thanks to answers, very important!

Yes to all. Just give credits as it is usual, thats all.

Always been a big fan of this addon. I'm using the old version, now I can get the newer one. Thanks Myke

Yes, because new classnames are provided with this addon.

Not only the classnames but also the models too.

Myke,

Quick question about MP for this addon. I always assumed that this signs are handled on the client only because they are in the mission pbo, but if I send a series of images to the sign (I'm using the biggest one) they do appear in the same order and at the same time on all clients, even JIPd ones. They seem to syncd by the server.

So the question is, how much network traffic does this generate? Is the image sent from the server to the clients?

@Tankbuster

I can't say for sure but the most logic conclusion would be that the ingame network traffic is quite low. As the textures are probably either into the mission itself or a (required) separate addon, in both cases the texture itself is present on the clients....if it is in the mission, they are transfered to the clients with mission download.

So the traffic when changing textures midgame reduces it self to the script command which is broadcasted. I guess you would have hundreds of signs changing textures within the same frame to take notice and even then, it will probably appear as minimal hickup.

As said before, not tested but this seems to be the logical conclusion.

My image files are in the mission PBO and so they are already on the client when the mission runs, so I expected that it's all client side. You'd expect the image files are never sent between clients or the server.

But the odd thing is that if a player JIPs he sees the images cycling exactly the same as someone who has been in there for ages. IE, they see image 1 at the same time and image 2 at the same time, even though the script began at different times for the 2 clients. So there must be some interaction with the server even if it's just synchronisation.

Quick update from me.

I was using a script to switch images on the sign, every 4 seconds it sent an image to the sign.

Now, it seems the script was running on the server, which MAY have resulted in the images being served by the server to the clients. We noticed that regardless of join time, all clients saw the same image and the same time - they were synchronised.

When I put a if (isServer) exitWith{}; at the top of the script, the images become unsynchronised, but I do seem to have saved a little server CPU and bandwidth overhead. The sign still works so I'm happy.

Cool addon. A quick question about setting up texture ..

_objectname setobjecttexture [0,"\pboname\texture.paa"]

_objectname setobjecttexture [1,"\pboname\texture2

The command shows 2 setobject texture, one is the image (pmg) you want to add but what is the other texture one?