Sign in to follow this  
Vandrel

MoH Receipient Can't Fly A Flag

In this discussion I am missing one aspect of this all:

Flying a flag in an everyday and closely living community maybe means that I do stick a button on all their breasts.

At least it could be so - none of us knows and none of us posters here did ask for this.

How tall is that flagpole? How big is the flag? Does it stand separate? Is it possible to recognize that only one special person is flying the flag or does it seem the whole community of owners is flying the flag?

What about the freedom of those who oppose 'states flag flying' for good reasons?

What about living in an appartment "under that flag" if it's a communists, an anti-abortion flag or even homosexual-flag over your appartement?

Each of this persons could have earned a lot honors for mankind too.

If you aren't able to imagine what that could be, but only can think in terms of military-like-honors - should that be his or your problem?

But you would feel a bit uneasy under their flag?

You sure would.

A flag is a symbol.

And for many it's kind of holy thing.

For the one who flies the flag it mostly is.

It's a symbolists action.

You want to express yourself with it.

But you can't ask others to do the same.

Each his own flag.

In a free country. In a free world.

To enforce this rule on this veteran is the biggest slap to the face you can muster.

It's like walking up to a veteran on Veterans Day and saying that you don't care about what they fought for, risking their lives, that it was all meaningless to you and then spitting on them, how low can someone really sink?

The man is 90 years old, you don't know what he saw during his time over there, as a veteran he should be given this at least as a privilege to show some gratitude.

And before anyone slanders me I don't mean just US veterans, a veteran is a veteran regardless of whom they serve, each and every one should have the right to bear their colors proudly if they desire so, they deserve it.

I know rules are rules and it is not his house but come on this is just as ridiculous as the brown lawn imprisonment.

@ Herbal Influence: You make some excellent points but many would say Old Glory is a symbol of the freedom of speech and many of other things, to have it taken down because of "freedom of speech" would seem very redundant.

I mean sure each to their own but it just seems that freedom of speech has been abused by the wrong people so many times.

Edited by NodUnit

/5char

Edited by Vandrel

In this discussion I am missing one aspect of this all:

Flying a flag in an everyday and closely living community maybe means that I do stick a button on all their breasts.

At least it could be so - none of us knows and none of us posters here did ask for this.

How tall is that flagpole? How big is the flag? Does it stand separate? Is it possible to recognize that only one special person is flying the flag or does it seem the whole community of owners is flying the flag?

What about the freedom of those who oppose 'states flag flying' for good reasons?

What about living in an appartment "under that flag" if it's a communists, an anti-abortion flag or even homosexual-flag over your appartement?

Each of this persons could have earned a lot honors for mankind too.

If you aren't able to imagine what that could be, but only can think in terms of military-like-honors - should that be his or your problem?

But you would feel a bit uneasy under their flag?

You sure would.

A flag is a symbol.

And for many it's kind of holy thing.

For the one who flies the flag it mostly is.

It's a symbolists action.

You want to express yourself with it.

But you can't ask others to do the same.

Each his own flag.

In a free country. In a free world.

Spare us the politcal correctness please. We live in the United States. Not the homosexual states, or the abortion states or the communism states for that matter.

Any citizen of this country should have the right to fly the flag of this country if they choose. Anyone that has a problem with that needs to get over it.

So he erected it after the association already rejected it? Sympathy meter falling... falling... gone.

He knew what he was in for from the get go. He's a big boy. To cry out with tears of rage on his behalf is the insult, I think. He's a veteran of three wars. He can take care of himself- possibly even without having super-civilian privileges that allows him to erect flags where ever he pleases.

/5char

Edited by Vandrel

You should comment though. No one's bothered to spell it out yet, just said he's a war hero so he 'deserves' something.

He has every right to fly any flag. He just can't dig up someone else's lawn and put a pole there. ...Obviously whoever made the decision using this logic is a little thick if they didn't see the other shoe dropping.

Col. Van Barfoot - Come on, homeowners, he's more than earned the right to fly the American flag, especially on his own property. 97% (49,318 votes)

The Homeowners Assoc. – Sorry, colonel, but rules are rules, and in a democracy the majority rules. 2% (1,261 votes)

Undecided <1% (133 votes)

Total Votes: 50,712

Fox News at its finest. The article specifically states that the grounds are not his own property. Edited by maturin

/5char

Edited by Vandrel

The HOA agreement doesn't forbid flagpoles, but they decided to forbid his flagpole built on communal property, and he signed a contract agreeing to abide by their decisions. Bad decision? Maybe? Did he perhaps deserve a small exception to the rules? Possibly. I know I'd have let him build the flagpole.

But that's not the point. The point is that he built it anyway, in breach of his contract and infringing on the property rights of others. So I suppose the contract he signed with the HOA is worth nothing compared to the contract he signed with the U.S. military, which apparently he was very faithful to? And because he blew up a tank, he isn't obligated to honor his obligations or respect the legal agreements of mere civilians? And I wonder if he anticipated having a Senator and 2.5 million friends in the American Legion on his side and expected an uproar making the HOA back down? I know that anybody who killed that many Germans is utterly immune from reproach and can do no wrong, but if he were a mere mortal there would be certain words to describe that behavior.

Edited by maturin

When you leave military service, you are again fully subject to civilian law. As much as I respect what he did, if he has broken the agreement he signed fully knowing what it meant, and even disregarding the property rights of the owner, he is fully liable, and should be held accountable, for his actions, just like the military would hold him accountable for anything committed during his service, no matter how distinguished. Just because someone is a military hero doesn't mean he/she can ignore civil law when they please.

He hasn't got a legal leg to stand on. He is in flagrant and cynical breach

of a lawful ordinance that he formally agreed to. The blatant distortion of

the matter ("Can't Fly A Flag") and the calculated appeals to emotion

and "patriotism" ("MoH Receipient", "war hero" etc) are also very distasteful,

although sadly typical.

That said, I'm sure the housing association will end up being bullied into

letting him keep his flagpole (complete with the kitschy bird on top). I can

well imagine the sort of 'phone calls the housing people have been receiving;

I wouldn't blame them for refusing to answer any more.

He had the right to fight for his country, he had the right to spill blood for his country, but then his neigbours (for wich freedom he fougth) doesnt alow him to rise his country flag? That is an insults to any man/women wich fougth for his/her homeland wich he/she love.

@faulkner, thats a surprisingly cynical outlook... afterall its because of people like him, that fought and died, that the housing association is even able to make its bullshit laws about flagpoles or having green lawns or not putting the trash out until 5 mins before its due to be picked up...

Yawn...

Where ist the initiative when it comes to people who suffer from traumatas caused by the latest conflicts ? You got about 40.000 US people who fail to reintegrate, who get left behind by the system, the community, their families, the govenrment and you make a big fuzz about an old man who fails to comply to a contract ?

You got bigger problems to worry about.

Seriously, as much as it may harm that old man, it´s a joke compared to the real problems Iraq and Afghanistan veterans have to face in the US of A today...

Better put your initiative there...

And not about some stupid flag thingie....

@faulkner, thats a surprisingly cynical outlook... afterall its because of people like him, that fought and died, that the housing association is even able to make its bullshit laws about flagpoles or having green lawns or not putting the trash out until 5 mins before its due to be picked up...

So if he lets us have the laws, shouldn't he follow them?

Yawn...

Where ist the initiative when it comes to people who suffer from traumatas caused by the latest conflicts ? You got about 40.000 US people who fail to reintegrate, who get left behind by the system, the community, their families, the govenrment and you make a big fuzz about an old man who fails to comply to a contract ?

Seriously, as much as it may harm that old man, it´s a joke compared to the real problems Iraq and Afghanistan veterans have to face in the US of A today...

Why would you care one bit about 40000 veterans when there are bigger problems in the world such as children starving in Africa! :butbut:

/5char

Edited by Vandrel

Don't worry little one. One day they will invent time travel and you can go back in time and prevent WWII, let Germany take over the planet and wear your cozzy little red arm band while you are speaking German.

Maybe this thread will be more on your level, http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1506298#post1506298

You're being hysterical.

He hasn't got a legal leg to stand on. He is in flagrant and cynical breach

of a lawful ordinance that he formally agreed to. The blatant distortion of

the matter ("Can't Fly A Flag") and the calculated appeals to emotion

and "patriotism" ("MoH Receipient", "war hero" etc) are also very distasteful,

although sadly typical.

That said, I'm sure the housing association will end up being bullied into

letting him keep his flagpole (complete with the kitschy bird on top). I can

well imagine the sort of 'phone calls the housing people have been receiving;

I wouldn't blame them for refusing to answer any more.

And threatning to sit a 90 year old Man in court over a flagpole isnt distastefull?

Why would you care one bit about 40000 veterans when there are bigger problems in the world such as children starving in Africa!

OMG, yes...i´ll give you the deadnock.

World peace !

Don't worry little one. One day they will invent time travel and you can go back in time and prevent WWII, let Germany take over the planet and wear your cozzy little red arm band while you are speaking German.

Maybe this thread will be more on your level, http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1506298#post1506298

I'm not going to even comment on your post. You know what's wrong with it.

Edited by Max Power

If you wish to keep on discussing the topic of this thread, then please do so in a civil manner.

Yawn...

how do you expect to fix the bigger problems when you can't even fix the little ones first?