Sign in to follow this  
gossamersolid

ArmA Crash on Win 7 x64

Specs:

Q6600 @ 2.4ghz

4gb ram

9800GTX+ 512mb

Windows 7 Pro x64

I run arma 2 fine and I wanted to play arma I again. So I went to my www.gamersgate.com account and reinstalled the game.

It crashed as soon as I opened it right after install. So I thought I'd go patch it up. Well I've tried 1.14 and Beta patch 1.17 and they both still have crashing right at the start.

I've tried compatability mode as well.

Any ideas?

=====================================================================

== E:\Games\ArmA\arma.exe

=====================================================================

Exe version: Tue May 20 13:53:22 2008

Item STR_LIB_INFO_TRANS_SOLD listed twice

=======================================================

Date: 11/30/09 Time: 03:17:25

-------------------------------------------------------

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION at 73148C7D

Version 1.06.5151

Fault address: 73148C7D 01:00017C7D C:\Windows\system32\MMDevAPI.DLL

file:

world: Intro

Prev. code bytes: EC 14 6A 05 59 8B FC FF 75 E0 8D 75 E8 50 F3 A5

Fault code bytes: FF 52 1C 8D 45 D0 50 8D 45 D8 50 8B CB E8 DB 94

Registers:

EAX:001AA8D0 EBX:01E533A8

ECX:00000000 EDX:731732F4

ESI:08BFFD70 EDI:08BFFD30

CS:EIP:0023:73148C7D

SS:ESP:002B:08BFFD14 EBP:08BFFD74

DS:002B ES:002B FS:0053 GS:002B

Flags:00010212

=======================================================

note: Minidump has been generated into the file C:\Users\xxxxxx\AppData\Local\ArmA\arma.mdmp

Error: Failed to create surface texture

Edited by GossamerS

Well, considering Arma2 is out, I think alot of focus is drawn away from this problem, as it has been so in the past.

I remember the old days, when OFP got alot of support, and things got covered and fixed, or at least looked into and discussed, quickly...

I too get a black screen when I start Arma, after a few minutes, I get light blue blotchy squares at the bottom, black on the top half.. you can kinda sorta make out a graphic in the background (maybe a mountain or hill), and you get some scratchy music, but that's about it...

Running a Duo Core 2.6, with 4GB ram and 3 Raid drives, an Nvidia 9800GT 512MB, etc etc

I'm so used to this now, I don't get ticked off anymore... won't be buying Arma2 or any other game from them though, I hate being a guinea pig every time.

Download the latest patch (1.17 beta so far), run as administrator and run in window mode with -window in your shortcut.

You will get this with games that were designed with XP 32 bit.

• Like 1

Well, it runs okay on XP 64 bit....

So, perhaps a problem in Windows 7 itself, unless some weirdness happened with the install under 7..? Yeah, try Admin install again, and maybe look out for how to disallow sparse-files? No idea if it will help, but I dont like the sound of those tbh when the game needs loads of swap-space and virtual memory use.

I have UAC off so running as admin is not anymore useful than what I'm currently doing.

I have 1.17beta installed and tried -window... still crashes. I've read somewhere it has to do with sound drivers, but nobody seems to have a REAL solution.

I been on phone days on in with alienware he sayes they all work arounds and should been adressed before release thats why its called a sim. I have same problems cause my computer too new, and i bought it for this and doesn't work Know how you feel wanna throw shit out the window...

This is my ArmA1 menu screen with W7 64bit :(

arma1.jpg

This is all I see - clicking on the right square exits the game...

ArmA2 runs fine, so what would be causing this?

My Rig:

Intel QuadCore 975 3.33Ghz

Gigabyte GA-EX58 Extreme Mobo

2x Asus Nvidea GTX275 vid card

Win 7 64 bit

6 Gig (3x2G) of RAM DDR3 1600mhz

All help appreciated guys - I miss A1 already! :(

well I guess it's just not very compatible with windows 7 since my XP partition lets me boot it up quite fine. It's a shame since the game is only like 2 years old, it should be working with the newest OS or people won't play it anymore.

4GB is too much for the game?

Also as I said earlier, I have version 1.17 installed and it doesn't solve my issue

EDIT: oh that's the solution to the other's guy's issue

If i remeber correct my friend had the same issue with 4GB and nvidia 8800 GTX..

Besides you lose nothing by trying it....

Hope you get it working.

Snow

Thanks Snow for your help - unfortunately it didn't work :(

Stewy, that B&W blocky pic has been posted on these forums countless times. I don't remember exact details but it was like running 4 or more GB of RAM with an ATI card under Windows 7. There are countless threads on the subject.

As a last resort, you might want to simply try running with 2GB of RAM installed and see Arma works. If it does, at least you know it's related to the amount of RAM.

I ran Arma on Win 7 with Nvidia cards with 2, 4 and 8 GB of RAM and never ran into any problems. And I run v1.14.

so rather than people hijacking my thread... is there a known fix for my issue?

@ GossamerS

Have you tried to repair / update your sound drivers? and reinstalled the game without any mods after that? How about other drivers.. including OpenAL ?

I have 64 bit Win 7 home premium (rig is less than 3 weeks old, so all divers are up to date except catalyst drivers which i haven't updated 9.12...yet.. and arma i works well...

Edited by DrSnow

Stewy, that B&W blocky pic has been posted on these forums countless times. I don't remember exact details but it was like running 4 or more GB of RAM with an ATI card under Windows 7. There are countless threads on the subject.

As a last resort, you might want to simply try running with 2GB of RAM installed and see Arma works. If it does, at least you know it's related to the amount of RAM.

I ran Arma on Win 7 with Nvidia cards with 2, 4 and 8 GB of RAM and never ran into any problems. And I run v1.14.

Thanks DJ - that fixed it! Going up to 1.14 has fixed it - thanks for your help!

Stew

Gossamer, a little poking around the internets seems to point to a problem with your sound drivers even though that "texture not created" error sounded to me more like a video card driver problem. What sound card are you using?

The two things suggested in this thread are to:

- find and install the latest OpenAL drivers

- or find newer sound drivers

I don't use Windows 7 simply because Creative drivers simply aren't that good yet.

@Stewy, glad you got it worked out. Yeah, anything less than v1.14 is just not ready for prime time. I have no problems at all with either 1.14 or 1.16.

Edited by DesertJedi

I FIGURED THE SOLUTION!!!

Go to sound -> Playback devices and DISABLE all of the available ones except the one you use to output sound.

Works like a charm now!

Go to sound -> Playback devices and DISABLE all of the available ones except the one you use to output sound.

Works like a charm now!

Mad props man, mad props. I would have spent weeks installing, then re-installing drivers and et all.

I have the steam version of Arma and I checked out the steam forums for it, and one of the threads told me to install beta patch 1.17 (North American Atari version, be sure to check which version you have.) After installing the game it still didn't run and then I decided to check the arma folder under steam, and voila! There's a shortcut apptly titled "Launch Arma Beta Patch 1.17." I feel like a total moron but anyways dudes, check your arma folder for the seperate shortcut.. This is defintely the last game I ever buy from steam that is developed by BIS...

Works like a charm now!

All I can say I tried this and it solved my crash problem too.

On a sidenote, can anyone tell me why the newest Creative Audio Control Panel keeps reverting to "7.1 speakers" setting from "Headphones" setting? Before I take out my Audigy and torn it into pieces and condemn Creative for a whole life?

For me ArmA has always cause problems. It will not render correctly and it lags profusley.

ArmA 2 has worked like a champ!

Specs:

Windows 7 x64

AMD HD4890 1GB GDDR5

Crucial 8GB DDR3

Antec 600w PSU