Sign in to follow this  
rene.obermann

Female Soldier [Feature request to BIS]

terrible analogy. this game is much more rpg-based, in all aspects except the campaign where you're forced to play one character.

what you're asking is equivalent to saying you want to play as a female in red harvest campaign, which is stupid and wrong.

however, i see no problem with this in multiplayer and scenarios, or even custom campaigns, as roles in which women can participate in become possible. no one is arguing about the single player campaign, heck you can't even play as yourself, you have to play as cooper.

terrible analogy. this game is much more rpg-based, in all aspects except the campaign where you're forced to play one character.

what you're asking is equivalent to saying you want to play as a female in red harvest campaign, which is stupid and wrong.

however, i see no problem with this in multiplayer and scenarios, or even custom campaigns, as roles in which women can participate in become possible. no one is arguing about the single player campaign, heck you can't even play as yourself, you have to play as cooper.

Your rpg statement is false false false (unless you play CL or something). Custom content though is whatever you want it to be.

If there are so many women wanting female characters, why don't they make the mod themselves? Not intending to be harsh but every mod in this game is there because someone wanted it and decided to make it rather than hoping someone else would. Perhaps it could be done by making a female model and applying the male animations, wouldn't be perfect but it could work, also they could turn voice pitch up all the way.

where is one of the devs? maybe one of those would be better to turn round and say no, not some upstart know it all.

sorry but this whole sexist thing is getting me down, i thought you guys was a sound bunch? now i see your real side! anfiach you must be one of the most sexist idiots i have ever come across honestly. and you would rather believe your own tripe than what is actually happening in the world.

i know a lot of females that play games. it would be nice to see females implimented in this game, i'm for it even if its so my better half could play as a fem.

I don't want soldier women. I don't care. I want those slutty dressed women to be able to carry heavy machine guns and drive bikes.

Priests too. Priests must be able to shoot cause it's awesome.

I want the Priest patrol. On a mission from god.

If there are so many women wanting female characters, why don't they make the mod themselves? Not intending to be harsh but every mod in this game is there because someone wanted it and decided to make it rather than hoping someone else would. Perhaps it could be done by making a female model and applying the male animations, wouldn't be perfect but it could work, also they could turn voice pitch up all the way.

To make a satisfactory female soldier character would require a new skeleton and new animations, as well as new geometry. It would be a lot of work and require a lot of understanding of how the game works. I don't see anyone out there regardless of sex making thousands of new animations for aliens or zombies or whatever else people have been trying to make since 2001.

All i know is that there are women in Afghanistan right now.

And they leave the base too. Once they leave the base, it's almost 90% certain there's gonna be a firefight in the more hot area's.

And the women will fight back. I believe that this should say enough.

sorry but this whole sexist thing is getting me down, i thought you guys was a sound bunch? now i see your real side! anfiach you must be one of the most sexist idiots i have ever come across honestly. and you would rather believe your own tripe than what is actually happening in the world.

You're fighting windmills, Mr. Quixote.

All i know is that there are women in Afghanistan right now.

And they leave the base too. Once they leave the base, it's almost 90% certain there's gonna be a firefight in the more hot area's.

And the women will fight back. I believe that this should say enough.

do you know that if you was there first hand and seen this even captured it on video..... the babies of the forum still would choose to argue that it doesn't happen. like the one below your reply. dunno what he said not really bothered tbh because i seen nothing but crap come out of his sewer

This would be a great addition to the game. To have a fully usable female soldier. It would give a whole new atmosphere to the game.

nvm I'm not getting into a ridiculous flame fest

Edited by anfiach

do you know that if you was there first hand and seen this even captured it on video..... the babies of the forum still would choose to argue that it doesn't happen. like the one below your reply. dunno what he said not really bothered tbh because i seen nothing but crap come out of his sewer

Celery was saying that your effort is wasted. He may also be saying that you're attacking imaginary enemies.

Edited by Max Power

Am 100% agree, if female are recruting in real army, why you dont see any female soldier model to? c'mon Bis dont be sexist! thats a bit ridiculous, add this feature on future patch please! Canada, USA, FINLANDE, ITALY, FRANCE what you whaiting for check thats!

http://www.irandefence.net/showthread.php?t=29

See Women Soldier around World and please dont feel me angry, just add female soldier, many of them die in combat to, so thats will be a honnor if you add women soldier in future patch.

c'mon Bis dont be sexist!

If anyone is sexist, it's all the feminists who inflate the significance of women in armed forces. Granted, it's the only straw they can cling to because logistics isn't a part of this game unless you count the miraculous omni-refill trucks as such.

Canada, USA, FINLANDE, ITALY, FRANCE what you whaiting for check thats!

Only a few of those countries use women in the same roles as men and USA isn't one of them.

They term sexist is being tossed around as a defacto defense when a person has no good argument muc the way th eterm racist has been tossed about in the US over the past year. It robs the term of its meaning and is a slap in the face to the real victims of such discrimination.

Only a few of those countries use women in the same roles as men and USA isn't one of them.

Yes, but USA (USMC in this one) isn't the one and only faction in ArmA II. For Chedaki and Napa they are very suitable, maybe also for CDF and russia.

Sure, I don't mind if female soldiers are ingame. Just give them the appropriate classes and inventory slots. :ok:

There has to be a line drawn somewhere with realism, unless you want ArmA2 turned into OFP2.

I guess in the meantime there are infact some girls out there who would prefer to play as female. If they don't enjoy ArmAII as it stands then they could always play warrock, combatarms or tombraider if they don't like playing as a guy? :shrug:

This is ultimately a game. For those who have problems shooting women, are men not human also? There is no difference, a soldier is a soldier. Women serve on the front line everyday as transport drivers, medics, pilots, etc. Do not disgrace their efforts and dedication because you are unwilling to accept their service. They may never equal most men in physical or mental stability in times of combat stress but they definitely pull their weight however they can and you will most certainly see them among other soldiers near the front line.

Adding women would certainly add variety and for those of us who enjoy storylines as much as some guys enjoy sharing bullets with AI, it would be a welcome addition for all campaign makers to have a simple female soldier integrated into core files without having to require addons. I could say the same thing for children. Only twisted people go around shooting children but that does not exclude them from being a part of our world, our conflicts and our front line battle zones. If you guys are so bent on realism, then females and children should become usable content to better form an immersive storyline for those who truly like to feel a part of the scenario. Just my "opinion".

Edited by savedbygrace

Yes it's all about hating on the women that serve in the military :j:

If you respect them so much don't use them as a crutch for your arguments by trying to pile guilt on people for imagined offenses.

Well we can say for sure that you get women in guerilla forces, at all levels. Just recently they caught a woman in Iraq whose job it was to force women to become suicide bombers, an extremely unpleasant individual, so that covers women as Opfor.

Then on the US side of things there's the fact that in any logistic role or engineering role there are women. Which means that on any significant US base there will be women, supply convoys again are likely to feature female drivers or guards (hell the US was even using civilian truck drivers in Iraq, which is even more bizarre than using women). Secondly you've got fact that women are combat pilots and also combat medics.

Lastly there's just the big honking statistic which is that one in five personnel in the US military is female. 20%. That is a lot, whichever way you cut it.

Must confess I don't know what role women have in the Russian military, but as far as I know only the IDF actually uses women in front line units.

It's easy to see why some folks don't realise women are so prevalent in the forces because it's a reasonably recent thing, but a thing it is nonetheless. Manpower shortages have been met by changed requirements and increased use of civilians, contractors and women in roles they normally wouldn't be used for.

Thing is though there are a lot of things developers can't or don't add to games that would make them realistic. There's no children for instance in Arma, there are no armed children shooting at you which isn't unusual for a modern warzone. There's no limb loss, which is not uncommon, there's no screaming in agony, peeing your pants or crying for mum when you catch a round through the stomach either. Maybe there's a point where they just want to draw the line and say, "This is a game and there's some nastier aspects of war we don't want in it", and maybe shooting women is one of those things. I mean as it is Arma 2 is very tough gameplay wise, but it's not particularly gritty or dark, maybe they wanted to keep it as a sort of cosy kids game of war.

I wanted to respond to this but it would lead to a social and political commentary that belongs in the off topic forum.

I wanted to respond to this but...

And so you decided to respond anyhow to prove what?

About your earlier post though...I never mentioned that anyone was hating on women in the military(wasn't my point at all). I was merely stating that to claim that women do not fight on the frontline dishonors those who have seen combat whether intentionally or unintentionally.

This thread was not about where a females place is in the military until someone remarked on it. It was about including female soldiers as units in the Arma2 game. How people use those models is their business and not that of others to determine on what is real or right.

If you respect them so much don't use them as a crutch for your arguments by trying to pile guilt on people for imagined offenses.

Guilt? Imagined offenses? I'm afraid you may have to explain your own imaginings because I have no idea how you concluded that idea from my previous post.

Argument? There is no argument in that post. Merely an opinion. Take it or leave it but don't make it personal, I assure you, it was not meant to be.

I think you have made your point clear enough though sir, that you feel female soldiers should not be included in future vanilla expansions. So why try and convince others that their opinions are wrong simply because they do not align with yours? How about taking your own advice and not turn this thread into a battle ground for your inability to accept the opinions of others?

MAX POWER: To make a satisfactory female soldier character would require a new skeleton and new animations, as well as new geometry. It would be a lot of work and require a lot of understanding of how the game works. I don't see anyone out there regardless of sex making thousands of new animations for aliens or zombies or whatever else people have been trying to make since 2001.
Actually someone did make a female model for Arma called Tanya. She was complete with voiced commands and physical skeleton and came in three different textures. Really nice. Edited by savedbygrace

Nobody has mentioned anything about hating women in the military as far as I can see. What a ridiculous thing to generalise those who take no interest in wanting women soldiers.

Please, anfianch, your last four replies in this thread have been nothing but total garbage. You are the only one here talking shit, I swear you must be doing it on purpose to get on some tired people's nerves who do not have the patience to read your recent dump of inflammatory crap. Sorry, but it really had to be said. Take a good look at yourself. LOL

Now unlike some, I wouldn't want to be a hypocrite so I must add something to else to this post.

There was infact an interview with one of the BIS developers, they did explain that if people wanted female soldiers then it would have to be user created content. However, the doors aren't shut, quite yet. There are still plenty of patches to come and an addition of the AH64 in the next. As I can see, the majority of people either do not care, like myself, or do not want it or want it as a mod. So really, the chances are slim.

So, for all of those wanting female soldiers ou could take tanya here and port her over into ArmA2:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=3630

Do not disgrace their efforts and dedication because you are unwilling to accept their service
Comments like this and all of the "sexist" accusations amount to the same. In order to quiet opposition people will put a label on it, after all, nobody wants to be "that guy".

You can have your opinion all you want but don't be so disingenuous.

but isn't that what you're doing by arguing against their inclusion? women are in service, they do participate in combat and some nations have dedicated combat roles for women. they belong in the game as much as medical apcs and convoy trucks. both of which figure heavily into the gameplay as support vehicles. would it be unrealistic to have support vehicles that are randomly populated by either male or female characters? would it be wrong? the answer is no to either.

so yeah, if you can understand why some of us think that maybe some sexism(perhaps unconscious) is at play here. the staunch no women rule doesn't make much sense. the facts simply say that if there are convoys and support vehicles operating in this game, there should be women soldiers. i also don't understand the arguments claiming this would generate too much controversy. as it is, players are able to kill any female characters they want. in one section of the game there is even very overt hints of [use your imagination] committed prior to player intervention.

women soldiers is something i think a lot of us would like to see in operation arrowhead. with the emphasis on local interaction i wouldn't mind a fun side mission ala character switch in the original ofp(or scenario mission) where you play as a driver who is en route to a bombing site with civilian casualties and gets ambushed on the way.

women should decide this one. not our place as men to say no women shouldnt be allowed in arma II, simple as that. go on a talkshow and say women shouldnt be allowed and see what sort of emails you get.