Sign in to follow this  
bushlurker

The (un)Official Freetrack Users Q&A Thread

Yeah. Forget it. :)

It's rubbish in FT and TIR. Bind lean to a key for best results.

Thought as much, Im quite happy pressing the button to lean. In reality I suppose you could get away with single point tracking as A2 only really supports yaw and pitch with any real degree of sucess :)

I heard leaning in trackir was great, in dyslexi''s video it seemed to be very smooth and accurate.

Referring to Trackir5 anyway.

It does seem pretty good from his video, perhaps I just need to dedicate more time in setting it up. Playing a test in the armoury last night, I couldnt run at all because I was constantly leaning slightly, obviously need a bigger deadzone for X translation.

The Q&E keys works pretty well for me :)

Q and E has done me very well since Arma 2's release lol. I ordered Trackir5 the other day and hopefully it should arrive today.

The thing I don't like about Q and E is that you have to straffe a little bit, tap it, straffe a bit more...until you are in position. Not an issue at all, it's just the whole process is a little smoother with Trackir.

I just like the idea of being able to smoothly peak out, and fluently zoom and scan your sectors. And I play racing sims too, it will be very handy for that!

If TIR5 was as cheap here as it is in the US I'd probably buy it. But seeing how the european distributers jack up the prices to twice what they are in the US, I can live without it.

Thats why I built a freetrack system, total cost is about 7 quid :)

If TIR5 was as cheap here as it is in the US I'd probably buy it. But seeing how the european distributers jack up the prices to twice what they are in the US, I can live without it.

Bought mine for £125 free p+p :)

I mean, not cheap, but by all means not expensive!

Bought mine for £125 free p+p :)

I mean, not cheap, but by all means not expensive!

Where? :eek:

Is it TIR5 pro or just TIR5?

The local distributer wants £175 for it!

I mean, I have other plans right now, so I won't be buying it any time soon, but I am open to good deals. :D

Where? :eek:

Is it TIR5 pro or just TIR5?

The local distributer wants £175 for it!

I mean, I have other plans right now, so I won't be buying it any time soon, but I am open to good deals. :D

Trackir5 Pro my man! I bought it from the official site.

I searched Trackir 5. Got the official site, it was $90. But £50 postage!!! So i went to their official distributors, found RC simulations, and they sell it for only £125. P+P is about £3.95 I think, but I got it free as they had a powercut and had to ship it late.

They do next day shipping via recorded delivery, (Shipping, postage takes a few days), they shipped it on thursday so It will either be here today or monday. (I hope!)

I will tell you what it's like when I get it, in the mean time head here if you want it:

https://sslrelay.com/www.rcsimulations.co.uk/sess/utn;jsessionid=154b6969feaa253/shopdata/index.shopscript

Richie.

---------- Post added at 09:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 AM ----------

WOOT! It arrived!

Well message you back when its setup :)

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 AM ----------

WOOT!!! £125 and it came with track clip pro too!!!

I heard leaning in trackir was great, in dyslexi''s video it seemed to be very smooth and accurate.

Referring to Trackir5 anyway.

I'm using TIR4 Pro. There's no difference in the tracking algorithms, only the tracking frame rate is better in 5. I found leaning too hard to set up, though that may be telling us more about my inability to persevere with moderately difficult tasks than how difficult it is in reality. :)

I will admit to not really tweaking my profile. It worked out of the box and revolutionised my ArmA2, so why mess with it? Perhaps I really ought to spend some time in the profile editor and get leaning to work.

You have to decide which movement you will bind to it. You can have it bound to your head lean or to your head sideways movement (but head still vertical). I think this is when it gets complex, but ultimately rewarding.

I see your points mate :)

How do I go about remapping the lean? I want to lean when I tilt my head, as that's what it does in game. But at the moment I must move my head left and right, and that also causes the whole view to move...

As I said, I've not yet delved into that, but you're considering the first decision when you try to enable lean.

Personally, I think actual head lean to get actor lean is to disorientating for me, so I have, in the past, gone for the sideways movement.

I take it you haven't mapped head down and up (not pitch) to prone/stand yet?

Personally, I think actual head lean to get actor lean is to disorientating for me, so I have, in the past, gone for the sideways movement.

I'm still in the process of retweaking Freetrack for Arma2 - been sidetracked massively by modding recently..... I had it working just fine in arma 1 tho, but not that TIR sortof from-the-neck-up head lean... that sortof worked but it just felt wierd... I'm not sure exactly how I had it set up before settingswise, but it worked more on a sortof upper torso lean - a bit like what I think Tank is describing - it corresponded more with what the actual character does when they lean - a definite sort of upper-body movement...

I found that better because I didn't tend to do it by accident - which is always good... and you could sortof lean sideways towards the side window in choppers, then look out and down - like you would in RL...

It's all down to tweaking with FT - theres no real presets - coz everybodys kit is so different... you need to work on one axis at a time - tab in and out of arma2 - test - tab - tweak - tab - test... till it's OK - then introduce another axis...

The curves help a bit - right click on them to get basic presets then tweak from there... Turn stuff DOWN till you hardly get a response at all - then move the value UP till you're happy, rather than the other way around...

Use the "skull" 1st person view - then your head is "inside" a green wireframe box... as you look to the bottom corner of the monitor you should see that bottom corner of the box - ditto for all 4 corners, plus the verticals and horizontals... if you're overshooting beyond, or not turning far enough to see the green box - tweak up or down accordingly...

Like Arma2 itself, the basic default setup is a little - quirky... but a bit of patient tweaking and it IS possible to get more than adequate results..... (also like Arma 2 - there's no full documentation ;)...

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Prepare for a stupid question: Is FreeTrack implemented in 1.05 or is it still waiting to be implemented into an official patch?

Prepare for a stupid question: Is FreeTrack implemented in 1.05 or is it still waiting to be implemented into an official patch?

No, we've been talking about another game for the whole time now.

Ive been playing around with my lean bindings and got a reliably analogue lean out of freetrack now :)

I use X translation (moving your head side to side) as I couldnt get it to work from tipping my head (roll) and bind lean to freetrack left and right in A2. I have a steep curve to stop small sideways head movements producing a lean ingame and sensitivity of 0.4 with 50 smoothing, works pretty well so far. Also got the Z translation to work for zooming, however it gave some pretty amusing results when it would zoom right in and then pan skywards 90 degrees :D

I have found that playing with freetrack enabled is actually more tiring, perhaps because Im concentrating more on keeping my view in the right direction aswell; probably something that becomes easier and more natural over time :)

Im finding it hard too. I actually fly worse with it on because I am so busy trying to line stuff up.

Definitely takes some time to master!

About leaning. I have it nicely setup.

The important thing is to make a big dead zone!

I used head move left/right with a dead zone and linear curve (so its a smoorth lean).

Then I copied that curve to head tilt, but I made that less responsive curve.

Ingame I put both tilt and move as lean axis.

This results in me being able to move my head without leaning by mistake. If I want to lean big I can move my body, if I want to lean carefully I tilt my head. So move my body for the big movement and tilt to adjust. Works like a charm.

I also have lean buttons that I use sometimes.

Yes, it's implemented.

Only just found out that Freetrack is now implemented.

I judged you incorrectly BIS. Good work.

I'm now going out to buy a copy of Arma at last. :D

Maybe some people can post pics of their FT profiles for Arma 2. It will give some of us new people some settings to work from.

I have a MS vx-3000 webcam that I am using with a Trackir clip pro in FT. It shows up fine so I am at the tweaking stage and have picked up some good tips from here like the floppy disk filter.

My webcam still have the IR filter in, I am reluctant to remove it as I sometimes use the webcam for other stuff and don't want to ruin it.

Anyway thanks to all the people in the thread, it is really hard to find good FT info and the official forms are dead quiet.

I just build my FreeTrack setup but it seems that FreeTrack+ArmA software don't like each other. When I start FreeTrack and then ArmA2 it gives an error that ArmA has stopped working. When I first start ArmA and then start FreeTrack it works for a minute but then I get back to desktop (while arma is still running). I can go back into arma but after one minute I go to desktop again... :(

Hi, As I posted in the verry beginning of this thread, I bought the A4tech PK333MB as I liked Bushlurker's setup. But after allmost 2 months of debate with the webshop, they finally decided they couldnt complete my order and I got my $$ back. But I already got the reflective tape.

So does anyone know another shop that ships cheaply in europe? that particular cams seems hard to find :S

Or is there another fine webcam wich real IR leds included?

well I use a wiimote works great at 100fps ;) had a crap time getting a bluetooth dongle that works tho.

Will post vids as when i can.

I just build my FreeTrack setup but it seems that FreeTrack+ArmA software don't like each other. When I start FreeTrack and then ArmA2 it gives an error that ArmA has stopped working. When I first start ArmA and then start FreeTrack it works for a minute but then I get back to desktop (while arma is still running). I can go back into arma but after one minute I go to desktop again... :(

Turn off the auto minimise function in freetrack settings, I dont know of a fix for the initial crashing of arma2 though, I just restart it as soon as its crashed (with FT running) and its fine :)