Sign in to follow this  
bushlurker

The (un)Official Freetrack Users Q&A Thread

Yes. It can track at 640x480 30 FPS and 60 FPS(well the only FPS' I tried).

Do you use infrared LEDs? Do you need to remove the IR filter? I'm thinking about buying a floppy disk too and putting the magnetic tape over the camera to block out the visible spectrum.

Do you use infrared LEDs? Do you need to remove the IR filter? I'm thinking about buying a floppy disk too and putting the magnetic tape over the camera to block out the visible spectrum.

I didn't want to remove the IR filter or dig around because if it turns out there's no way of this working at all, I could sell the PS3 eye on. Thus I only cut up a floppy and it does the job.

Like this:

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo312/Gorak_2008/Slika342.jpg

and the IR leds show up like this:

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/oo312/Gorak_2008/ps3eye.jpg

Does anybody know how to stop the jittering when you turn your head and hold it at a certain angle? If I want to look a bit left and keep staring left then the view jerks a bit...

Lep pozdrau to my North West neighbour. :bounce3:

Did you file down top of your led?

If you are not do it. It will expand your angle on Led and doo it almost to the metal parts inside 1mm above is more than enough. As close you come to this + and – metal parts inside Led you will got wider angle what provide stable light contact with camera when you turn head a side and reducing jitter.

Jitter you also reducing true set up your profile I was also having some problems with turning my head but got fix it true profile now just slit movement of my head turn one on screen by 180 deg.

But playing with profile can be baggiest problem with tracking systems including TracIR.

Pleas tell us how much CPU eat PS3 Eye?

Is 15 fps camera enough for good tracking?

For most games it'll be fine but there's going to be a noticeable delay. Also if you have the cash, a PS3-eye with the CL-eye drivers works GREAT at 60fps at 320x240. There's an option for 640x480 at 30fps but sadly it is glitched with the cl-eye drivers.

http://codelaboratories.com/home/

Lep pozdrau to my North West neighbour. :bounce3:

Did you file down top of your led?

If you are not do it. It will expand your angle on Led and doo it almost to the metal parts inside 1mm above is more than enough. As close you come to this + and – metal parts inside Led you will got wider angle what provide stable light contact with camera when you turn head a side and reducing jitter.

Jitter you also reducing true set up your profile I was also having some problems with turning my head but got fix it true profile now just slit movement of my head turn one on screen by 180 deg.

But playing with profile can be baggiest problem with tracking systems including TracIR.

Pleas tell us how much CPU eat PS3 Eye?

Oo, pozdrav!

I'm using SFH-485P LEDs which are already wide angled:

SFH485P.jpg

So no way to file it down.

I am still playing around with my profile and the drivers. I first need to have a sure way of getting it to work properly in all conditions, then I can go and play with my profile, hehe.

Oo, pozdrav!

I'm using SFH-485P LEDs which are already wide angled:

SFH485P.jpg

So no way to file it down.

I am still playing around with my profile and the drivers. I first need to have a sure way of getting it to work properly in all conditions, then I can go and play with my profile, hehe.

I got the ps3 eye! Works perfectly.

I cant even get Fretrack to work in arma 2 with the 1.5 patch.. Arma is reading it supposedly, but nothing happens!! Is there anything I am missing here?

I cant even get Fretrack to work in arma 2 with the 1.5 patch.. Arma is reading it supposedly, but nothing happens!! Is there anything I am missing here?

Hey I had a problem that maybe was the same for you. My freetrack worked then my profiles got all messed up. Here is a test fire up freetrack and check the mouse box in the output tab then go into arma and hold down the default mouse look key and see if free track works. If it does then next I would go into the controls options in arma and go to custom controlers I think it is and disable and enable different combinations of the track ir and free track what I did was turn one off tried it then the other then both just to see. This got it working for me.

I know that is probably not the best way to go about it and maybe someone else hasa better idea but thats what I did and I was so frustrated so just trying to help and contribute. Sorry for poor sentence structure am in a hurry.

Hey I had a problem that maybe was the same for you. My freetrack worked then my profiles got all messed up. Here is a test fire up freetrack and check the mouse box in the output tab then go into arma and hold down the default mouse look key and see if free track works. If it does then next I would go into the controls options in arma and go to custom controlers I think it is and disable and enable different combinations of the track ir and free track what I did was turn one off tried it then the other then both just to see. This got it working for me.

I know that is probably not the best way to go about it and maybe someone else hasa better idea but thats what I did and I was so frustrated so just trying to help and contribute. Sorry for poor sentence structure am in a hurry.

Thanks for the suggestion! I am going to try that right now,and get back to you!! This is soo frustrating! I am on 90 bucks at this point LOL coulda just bought a track ir LOL but I am committed!!

Just copy the FreeTrackClient.dll file into your ArmA2 directory and it should all work.

Okay, I am a moron.. LOL I forgot to activate my camera!! haha!! Leave it to me! Anyway.. got it working.. god this is going to take some tweaking to get the action right, but boy oh boy is it going to be worth it.. flying rotary was fun before, but with the "situational awareness" this will give, it should be amazing!! Thanks for the help!!

P.S. I cant Solder for crap.. LOL Resulting to tight twists and heat shrink tubing.. hey.. it works!.. haha! If only I could Solder.. The actual unit I built is pretty sweet.. PVC.. Even the screws are PVC.. its a little heavy, but it just looks awesome, so I'll use it for now.. Plus, its built on a bud light hat.. so... I think that's like a 5 point bonus! ahahaa

Edited by housemd

This is more frustrating than it's worth. When it's working it's always jittering, despite any settings, if I set the smoothing high it doesn't work properly. This is really not looking good. Slowly I am giving up. Next to that is the problem with freetrack and the ps3 eye compatibility.

mehman its all done with the curves side of things set to a large curve and turn up the sensitivity to get the arc you want i have about 110 smoothing with a sesitivity of 1.0, also check the exact dimensions and put that into the model tab.

After one hour, £3 spent on IR LEDs and £13.99 on a new VX1000, I have a working 3 clip Freetrack system cable-tied to the side of my headphones. Only spent 15 mins or so on Arm2 testing, and there seem to be a lot of options I have not tried or played with yet (is there any other guide than the handbook ?), but so far I am impressed. Running at 30fps / 640x480, though I have to have the sensitivity turned down or 0.2 on all axes. It will take some getting used to as I still bring up my weapon to where I am looking, only to find I am pointing in a different direction. Not bad for £17 plus some old bits I had lying around.

I usually turn the float zone off when using TIR, you may find that helpful.

The infantry part(if you choose to use it there, many use it exclusively for vehicles where its more useful)

takes a day getting used to, and in my experience, it will make you a bit slower in close quarters battle no matter how used you are to it. But hey, immersion right? :)

Edited by sparks50

Thanks for the reply - was starting to think infanty use may be limited compared to vehicles where it was much easier to start using. Turning out when driving the LAV really helped, though with my limited experience I did not manage to lean around a corner when playing as infantry.

Any news about Sony PS3 eye?

Is someone making it work with FreeTrack on 120 fps 320x240 and 60fps 640x480 in the end?

I’m interested in full possibilities of PS3 eye not just 30fps because I’m already have such camera.

I gave up on using the PS3 eye. So I just sold it. For twice as much as I bought it. No profit though, I just covered my expenses that I had with buying the materials.

Yes I think the problem is on FT side because the software is not in development any more last version is dated more than year ago so forget new models of camera or better support for new OS. :mad:

This is it we have what we have and can use it until it will be fully outdated. PS3 eye have great potential but there is no support for it in FT and it won’t be only if developers start working on FT again.

I’m willing pay for such software but not without support so my donation is steel on hold.

So far looks like Microsoft Lifecam VX-1000 is best buy option easy remove IR filter and cost about 15€ and it is no big cost if you turn it only in FT IR receiver. It could run 640x480 at 30fps with small usage of CPU.

Edited by wormeaten

Yes I think the problem is on FT side because the software is not in development any more last version is dated more than year ago so forget new models of camera or better support for new OS. :mad:

This is it we have what we have and can use it until it will be fully outdated. PS3 eye have great potential but there is no support for it in FT and it won’t be only if developers start working on FT again.

I’m willing pay for such software but not without support so my donation is steel on hold.

So far looks like Microsoft Lifecam VX-1000 is best buy option easy remove IR filter and cost about 15€ and it is no big cost if you turn it only in FT IR receiver. It could run 640x480 at 30fps with small usage of CPU.

yeah, that's pretty much what kills it. The PS3 eye drivers are getting updated on a regular basis and the dev is very communicative. FT however is the problem. It's the thing that doesn't work. It's also very fiddly and I could never quite get it to behave correctly. It was either overly sensitve or overly blunt. It was worth a try, but this combo doesn't work.

Just got myself set up with an eyetoy (ps2) and a 3point IR emmiter clip, works pretty well ingame (still tweaking curves and the like) and makes a whole world of difference, so much more immersive :)

Not having too much joy getting the x translation to work properly as leaning in game though, anyone got any tips?

Another thing, the eyetoy doesnt usually get more than 17fps, its pretty playable at this (not much fps less than I get on chenarus anyways :D), it has sat at 22 for a while though, I cant seem to get it to stay there, again any suggestions?

Cost me £2.25 for the camera off ebay and about £4.50 for the diodes, resistors, battery pack and switch (unfortunately I had to order another 15 quids worth of stuff to fulfill farnells £20 minimum order!); made the clip from 1mm aluminium plate hacked out with tinsnips and taped to my headphones. Ill get my friend to lasercut me a proper one in the near future.

All in all much fun and very satisfying to build and get working.

Not having too much joy getting the x translation to work properly as leaning in game though, anyone got any tips?

Yeah. Forget it. :)

It's rubbish in FT and TIR. Bind lean to a key for best results.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

That was my FT setup. Worked nicely.