Sign in to follow this  
santafee

Close Quarter Combat is impossible in Arma2

Does it work the same way with sides switched, so US AT teams are also low skill by default?

Yes, except US AT squad has 1 less man. The skills setting seems to be tied directly to their rank in these Groups. But when placing individual units, the skill setting does not automatically switch depending on the rank, but carries over from the last placed unit rather.

No impact on spotting skill? Oh definitely.

Place a rifleman on a runway with his back to you. 0.1 skill enemies won't even hear bullet snaps when you fire near them.

I placed a sniper with a few waypoints on a runway and placed myself 250m further away on the runway. With skill slider on max. it took 2 clips and a few rounds to get his attention and he gave me a hit with first round which injured me(make screen redish). The same happened with skill slider on min.

Back to the topic at hand. With CQB one trick I like to do to the AI that works quite often if you're fighting small numbers, is to draw fire then flank. If the AI knows your position and you put your head out then you're dead, if they know you're position and you flank them you can often catch them off guard. That said, the AI aren't stupid, in a 4 man squad they won't all watch your position.

The main problems with CQB are:

4. World design. There's no real cities or towns in A2 that would make you do urban fighting in the first place. Why go in and fight street to street when you can just lay above the town on a hill and kill everyone from there? We need bigger towns so you can't just do that. Also the town design is pretty bad. There's that threaded knee high grass everywhere even in the middle of towns, where the enemy AI has their only real chance, lay in wait and shoot you when you're close, cos you can't see them.

i agree with this...the map design doesnt exactly force you into those situations but with better map design...a large town (atleast 2.5 square miles) with proper zoning....residential, commercial, some industrial that could not be worked around due to the size would force you to go in and fight street to street...

keep in mind that it wouldnt have to be extremely dense buildings on top of eachother but a layout that makes sense, gas stations on corners, shopping centers, etc..