Sign in to follow this  
Lonestar

Why camo faces are hidden?

Mmmm - not sure why so many arma soldiers wish to highlight their eyes so much - or their mouths? ;)

"Oh that green really suits your eyes..." :rolleyes:

Mmmm - not sure why so many arma soldiers wish to highlight their eyes so much - or their mouths? ;)

"Oh that green really suits your eyes..." :rolleyes:

Do you mean the area around their eyes or mouth are not covered with camo?

Probably because (Real life example):

a) they were washed out - sometimes rubbing the eyes because it get itchy will remove it bit by bit. at the mouth, after eating, you wash your mouth, it will be washed off. not immediately of course, but some ppl have the tendency to wipe em dry, and sooner or later it will come off

b) because of the reason above, ppl tend not to overdone the camo around the eyes and mouth. sometimes ppl afraid to put it around the mouth because they afraid to get a poisoning... around the eyes, when you're sweating, the camo paint might run down and get into your eyes... some paint will cause eye irritation

OR

c) just to have a variety simulating the camo have been washed off because they have been in the field for so long :)

So you think BIS didn't make the camo faces available from the beginning for realism concerns?

In this case they should have never been put in the game no ?

I'm just curious that's all.

So you think BIS didn't make the camo faces available from the beginning for realism concerns?

In this case they should have never been put in the game no ?

I'm just curious that's all.

I don't really have an answer for you. Maybe they did it so the Force Recon and Spetznaz guys would be more special? But that doesn't answer the question for the player. Maybe it was an oversight?

Why? Because in real life, we don't paint our faces outside of training.

Maybe that's because in "Real Life" your in a desert. Green/Brown/Black cam paint probably wouldn't work out.

yep, they're used for more temperate environments. although i've seen painted faces in iraq before.

I don't think you've understood what this thread is about :rolleyes:

I am not asking the military guies of this forum to show what is done on the battlefield.

I am asking why not all the faces are shown under the player profile menu in the game.

Right now we need to manually edit the the file "playername.ArmA2Profile" to get extra faces.

I'm not talking about addons or custom faces here but original faces put in the game by the developpers.

Compare these 757 faces: http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/Faces/#document with the about 60 faces available in the profile menu.

Do you mean the area around their eyes or mouth are not covered with camo?

Probably because (Real life example):

a) they were washed out - sometimes rubbing the eyes because it get itchy will remove it bit by bit. at the mouth, after eating, you wash your mouth, it will be washed off. not immediately of course, but some ppl have the tendency to wipe em dry, and sooner or later it will come off

b) because of the reason above, ppl tend not to overdone the camo around the eyes and mouth. sometimes ppl afraid to put it around the mouth because they afraid to get a poisoning... around the eyes, when you're sweating, the camo paint might run down and get into your eyes... some paint will cause eye irritation

OR

c) just to have a variety simulating the camo have been washed off because they have been in the field for so long :)

OK face camo isn't poisonous for a start. I never experienced any eye irritation and never washed my mouth after eating (wtf? lol). Either way the whole point of camo is to break up the image - these troopers are almost highlighting themselves.

In RL as someone said this doesn't get used passed trained, However you don't need face camo when your with 100 other guys assaulting a postion. Smaller spec ops teams I would imagine would employ this because sitting in a bush with mr whitey face is a dead giveaway :)

So you keep on posting off topic answers...

I'm sure you didn't even bother to read my last post.

Fair enough

Edited by Lonestar

Compare these 757 faces: http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/Faces/#document with the about 60 faces available in the profile menu.

Maybe thats the answer. There are some "facetypes" and each type gots a lot of camo variations.

they didn't want the casual gamer to got through 30 camo types from one facetype until they get the next facetype?

Why? Because in real life, we don't paint our faces outside of training.

I dont see why not?

If you are moving into enemy territory it pays not to be seen, or to be seen less fast.

Breaking up facial contours helps take away the depth perception of other people watching you.

Giving the dark shadowy patches of the face a light colour (eyesockets for example) and all the parts that catch a lot of light (eyebrows, nose, chin, since they are pronounced) in a dark colour.

It makes a face look very unnatural at distance, and is less likely to be recognized as a face because the features seem broken.

I would like BIS to add some painted faces with additional brown in it though, and more in the way i described it, including mouth and eyes.

So you keep on posting off topic answers...

I'm sure you didn't even bother to read my last post.

Fair enough

what's wrong with informing someone about something if it relates to the topic? if someone has an answer for you, they'll reply regardless of the side conversations. don't be so selfish.

also, don't be such a prick.

kind regards, zac

what's wrong with informing someone about something if it relates to the topic? if someone has an answer for you, they'll reply regardless of the side conversations. don't be so selfish.

kind regards, zac

Now if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black.

kind regards, zac

What's wrong?

Let me tell you what's wrong: if someone uses the search function and is looking for the answer to this question he's gonna have to read a dozen posts of bullshit before he gets it.

Don't call me a prick, i showed a little exasperation but I've always been polite so far.

No kind regards

Edited by Lonestar

I think Clavicula_nox4817 got the answer right. If it was available then everyone would use it because "it is so cooool", making it look silly. If they are not available, it can be used by mission designer if he wants a mission where facial camouflage is used. Or, give players the ability to "put it on" later in the mission, via mission preparation (description.ext) and setIdentidy command.

The face represents the face you wake up with prior to the mission, not your camouflaged face.

Maybe that's because in "Real Life" your in a desert. Green/Brown/Black cam paint probably wouldn't work out.

Just because the current major world conflicts are being fought in desert doesnt mean that all future wars are going to be desert based :rolleyes:

Maybe thats the answer. There are some "facetypes" and each type gots a lot of camo variations.

they didn't want the casual gamer to got through 30 camo types from one facetype until they get the next facetype?

Not really. There are only 6 camo patterns (each face have the same 6 to choose from). Ofcourse the list will be longer, but still. I wondered the same thing at one point in time.

EDIT: I wrote that little guide how to get the camo on your player (works SP & MP), and i used it since start on my character. Big change when i move in vegetation compared to everyone else that shines like a white blanket in sunlight lol.

Edited by Alex72

Maybe its because when the L85A2 rifle first came out, the BAF discovered that the additives in face paint dissolved the plastic grips and stocks. And BIS developers are too lazy to include melting stock and grip effects in the game. So instead, the buried the facepaint add-on so nobody would find it - until now, that is.

The camo patterns are hidden so that only advanced players will use them. I myself am an extremely advanced user, which is why I have a Takistani camo face with hidden goggles.