Sign in to follow this  
celery

Do you prefer English or localized games?

Do you prefer your games in English or localized to your native language?  

184 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer your games in English or localized to your native language?

• I prefer my own language (non-English)
    • I prefer English
    • I'm a native English speaker
    • I'm a native English speaker and I want localized games to have English as an option

I never seen a good localized version in Dutch, mostly it sounds really stupid. Anno 1503 en Black and White comes to mind, horrible.

Remember Dungeon Keeper in Dutch? :eek:

I think there is an option missing here. I like that characters speak their own language, like in ArmA 2, but prefetly english to the main character (the player) or subtitles if it is intended that one of the characters speaks their language to the main character.

I don't like dubbing though, it kills the developer's reason to actually pick the original voice in the first place. Try watching Die Hard with Bruce Willis with a german voice, it just doesn't fit.

When it comes to manuals and UI I prefer english again. (I guess that's what you were asking for :))

Edited by colossus

I prefer english because the german loacalisation seems usually be done by the acting class of some elementary school.

Maybe it's just because english isn't my first language so I have a harder time differentiating between good and bad english voice acting.

Also, english text is usually shorter than german, which better fits to menus.

english is the global lingua franca. unless you're living in the countryside, there's no excuse not to know english. i think it should be the official language of the world. it is beautiful.

i am not a native speaker btw.

Remember Dungeon Keeper in Dutch? :eek:

No, but I doubt I want to hear that. :D

Oh man, I am starting to imagine how it would be if ArmA was totally in Dutch, voiceacted by the people who do the dutch voices for modern foreign cartoons. :eek:

Im czech and i agree with the czech posters in this thread, i would love to have the ingame option to switch texts to english. But on my part it is mostly because all the wiki/modding pages/tutorials refer to english named entities in the editor and its ussually hard because of inaccurate translation to figure what those tuts actually refer to (eg. i know what a guard waypoint should do, i know what a sentry waypoint should do, but for the love of me i dont know if "střež" waypoint is a guard or a sentry lol :D )

i'm not english native and i prefer my native language audio (is to easy to understund) but if complete audio translation is a big trouble, subtittle is acceptable solution.

i'm italian

I don't want to have a fully localised game (with everything in German including voice acting) but I don't want to have everything in English too (think of the horrible "russian" voices in the Red Hammer addon).

Audio/voice acting should be in the appropriate language, e.g. the Russians should actually talk russian how it is now. But I want to have the option to switch interface and subtitles to English. This is particularly important for me in the editor and in multiplayer. It simplifys the communication and it feels better.

no localized Arma2 for my place, that's to bad cause cause we can get the game cheaper. Usually they only localized the manual & game box (in malay) while maintaining the game in english.

I don't want to have a fully localised game (with everything in German including voice acting) but I don't want to have everything in English too (think of the horrible "russian" voices in the Red Hammer addon).

Audio/voice acting should be in the appropriate language, e.g. the Russians should actually talk russian how it is now. But I want to have the option to switch interface and subtitles to English.

This is the only way to go.

I like the way ArmA2 is made, russian in russian, english in english. But I still can't wait till the FDF mod, creates alot of immersion.

Just as a reminder people, we are talking about the interface language, not units' voice commands.

Just as a reminder people, we are talking about the interface language, not units' voice commands.

In that case, I prefer english over finnish.

Being a native English speaker living in Germany, I voted for option #4. There's nothing worse than buying a game over here only to realize that it's in German only. Somehow the translated versions, even the decent ones, are never as good as the original.

I prefer english because I want to be able to play opfor without wondering "what the fuck did I just say right now?"

I'd settle for english with a stereotypical russian accent too. Like in the movies. Bad movies.

Yea not knowing what is being said is rather annoying, one of my main reasons I don't play as opfor second being the RPG-7 not having a scope :/ but thats a different topic.

And another thing... I appreciate the amount of work BI have put into making a language made of bits and pieces. it must be hard work. But there are some expressions that don't need to be stitched together like that.

Simplest example, when you are between friendlies they sometimes blurt out "HI -[pause/change of pitch]- there!". It seems that the "there" sound is generic and used for other stuff. How difficult would it be to make it like the sound for the leg injury where it says "oh my leg" in natural flowing english instead of "OH- my - LEG!" ?

Ok I am almost offtopic right now.

Norwegian here, so localization is not even available. I even run all my OS'es in english, and I have a hard time trying to help friends and family with their norwegian OS'es. I even hate how some web pages tries to be "smart" and "helping" me by automatically changing to my language.

Running everything in english helps me learn the language better, not a bad thing.

I prefer my own language in games since english already influence too much the common linguistic usage in germany in general and in form of a hybrid "denglish", which is terrible.

i greatly appreciate the accurate voices and accents of the game. I do NOT want voices to be either All-English or All-localized.

However, i DO think subtitles and menu language should have an 'all-english' option. I use the Czech version of the game and do not feel localization adds much beyond subtitles and menus in Czech. The ability to change the menu language would be greatly appreciated

This.

Spoken language should be according to the characters native language, or the language they're talking in (for instance, a translator talking to locals should talk in the language of the locals)

Subtitles, menus and all that jibber-jabber should be selectable for english/any other language.

In my opinion, it would be COMPLETELY retarded to have a bunch of US Marines/British Army/US Army running round speaking Czech/Dutch/German/Russian/Polish/etc etc due to "localisation". :j:

This.

Spoken language should be according to the characters native language, or the language they're talking in (for instance, a translator talking to locals should talk in the language of the locals)

Subtitles, menus and all that jibber-jabber should be selectable for english/any other language.

In my opinion, it would be COMPLETELY retarded to have a bunch of US Marines/British Army/US Army running round speaking Czech/Dutch/German/Russian/Polish/etc etc due to "localisation". :j:

+1 :cool:

Norwegian here, so localization is not even available. I even run all my OS'es in english, and I have a hard time trying to help friends and family with their norwegian OS'es. I even hate how some web pages tries to be "smart" and "helping" me by automatically changing to my language.

Running everything in english helps me learn the language better, not a bad thing.

This, just replace norwegian with finnish.

Every title should ship with localized subtitles/ interface.

As for audio, entirely depends on the quality of the localization - if decent speakers and audio mastering are not available - i prefer the original, in case of need with subs. I.e. I found Blackhawk Down unbearable to watch in german, on the other hand Gert Günther Hoffmann sounds better than William Shatner, for the characters he played :D.