Sign in to follow this  
Raunhofer

Thirsk Island

there are updatet screenshots in the first post

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ea48Vh74Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ea48Vh74Q&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Open to see in HD

Really amazing! :eek:

Awesome Raunhofer, the Winter Island looks NICE.

I'm looking forward. Then we can all make beautiful winter missions with the Winter Units from Schnapsdrosel. :D

Nice work but for more realistic I suggest to create swon-covered roofs, mics and maybe if its possible snow-coveres field.

GD6078021@Snow-covered-sheep-in-5766.jpg

roof_ice.jpg

I count on you that you bring on a perfekt level and will hopefully waitin till the release oo.png

Raunhofer a question, hav you the A2 standart trees and bushes ect. new textured ?

Because the looks absolutely beautiful. :bounce3:

Raunhofer a question, hav you the A2 standart trees and bushes ect. new textured ?

Because the looks absolutely beautiful. :bounce3:

Yes I have and after I have released this island, everybody can borrow those trees to their own island projects if want to. I would really like to see more winter islands in arma 2.

Thirsk will also include a new kind of weather effects (for example snowstorm, snowing, mist, fog etc.) which you can use by making a weather game logic.

I've also planned some new gameplay items, but I have to see how well I can create them.

My main target is to show how good engine arma 2 has and to reach the feeling of original operation flashpoint and to improve it :)

And Boris_Balzer don't worry, I'll try to make the winter island to look as realistic as possible. I live in Finland so when I look outside the view is something like this: (Snow picture), so I know what I'm looking for :D

Edited by Raunhofer

Sure, it looks absolutely beautiful.

Nice work Raunhofer ! :)

Thats really great - are you going to include winter/ambient sounds (footsteps etc)? Reminds me on some nice winter OFP missions :)

OK now I'm jealous of you... I have just the german winter if i look out of my window I see much mud....

How I saw, I count on you!

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:54 PM ----------

i mean "how i say"

Really looking forward to this island...

Looks great, also waiting for the wintertrees of course;)

Hi Raunhofer,

this island looks absolutely fantastic :eek:

Exactly this setting I have missed until now.

can't wait ... :bounce3:

Greeting

Silola

Today I took some INGAME screenshots!

spinoza.jpg

shooting_at_enemy.jpg

scope.jpg

forest_road.jpg

There's also an additional loading-screen in the package for those who want to use it:

additional_loading_screen.jpg

Aaaarrrgghh...

The absence of this island is getting under my skin! Like a drug i cant get hold of and the shivers is baaad... :D

Cannot wait for this awesome island! Finish it up will ya! ;)

Have you tried making snow clutter? Sometimes the snow just looks too flat, maybe some deep parallax effects could help too.

Also I would reduce the amount of snow under trees and heavy bushes. If you are aiming for an early winter style scenery, there shouldn't be much snow under foliage. Populated areas would be covered in a mix of icy snow, slush and lots of "worn" snow (footprints, tire marks etc.)

Sorry if I sound too harsh :).

I was looking for frozen style of forests. Not the way it looks when it have just snowed, because arma2's engine doesn't have a support for snow layers or anything like that.

Frozen environment also allows me to do completely white nature, which looks pretty nice in game :)

Snow clutter is included.

Please mention if you have any ideas or suggests for Thirsk.

Edited by Raunhofer

But doesn't A2 support multiple terrain textures in a relatively small area? This should be enough to create more varying snow and reduce the amount of snow under big foliage objects. Completely white snow island looks way too bland in my opinion.

Work in progress.... satellite texture is the last thing to do.

I'm sure you'll like the feeling of frozen forests. I've already tried to make some not so snowy areas in some parts of the island but it just looked a bit strange and unrealistic (for example in snowstorm) so I had to replace them with something else... :/

Working on...

Edited by Raunhofer

But doesn't A2 support multiple terrain textures in a relatively small area

Well.... Yes and No...

A recent press release hints at the usage of 6 different ground textures per segment (segment varies depending on island, but in the case of Sahrani for example - 20x20km - its 512x512meters, I think)... However, there's no explanation of precisely how this was achieved! - possibly NOT using the BIS tools we currently have available for island making...

So - practically - at the moment at least - the limit seems to be 4 ground textures per half kilometer square - or whatever size segment your island dictates...

Not as many textures as you'd think - believe me... it makes things VERY awkward sometimes...

Theres a brief discussion of the textures-per-segment thing in this thread

B

Edited by Bushlurker

That snowy landscape looks absolutely AWESOME, uhh i'm almost shivering by the cold look :cool:

Great work Raunhofer. Looks absolutely beautiful.

Can't wait to make some missions for it.

Can you give any timeline when can we expect to have public first version ? ;)