Sign in to follow this  
M.Andersson(SWE)

Big Islands

I'm making a 30km x 30km Aoraki/Mount Cook Island, based extremely closely around real-world data (including roads, pylons, vegetation, even fencelines - matched to the real-world co-ordinates.

I had originally intended (and have the data for) 60km x 60km however I found performance extremely prohibitive, and also you are limited to a maximum of 4096 for the heightmap - thus the larger it is the lower your resolution must be.

Another thing to note... you have difficulty placing and rotating objects on a 4096 heightmap.

I'm working since March on a 153 km x 153 km scenery based on a north Italy/south Switzerland terrain. It's called Verbano. I'm also starting to work on other three sceneries, smaller than Verbano but still based in Italy and Switzerland.

With Verbano, I started with a 1024 heightmap, 150 m cell size...the cell size was to big. I made a big error :D. Now I'm planning to reload the heightmap with a bigger one, I'm going to reduce the cell size and to re-import objects. I just tried to load the scenery with a 4096 heightmap and 37,5 m cell size but ArmA 2 crashes immediately. Is it normal? I think yes, but not sure. :rolleyes: No problem with 2048 heightmap and 73m cell size, but 73m it's still too big. I have to reduce cell size especially for road mountains.

I've also created a new sat map. The first map had only one type of terrain. :o

You can see some screenshot here. They are from ArmA 1. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jarl_hruodbhert/sets/72157617201311697/

Sorry for my english ^^

Gunny, those old screens look great. I hope you are able to get that area built and out to the community. That is a very large area - it makes my head just thinking about all the objects. :)

Looks like Gunny is in the leadposs...

Anyone topping him..

Comon show your bigass island..

Should be a contest with prizes and stuff...

I'm working since March on a 153 km x 153 km scenery based on a north Italy/south Switzerland terrain. It's called Verbano. I'm also starting to work on other three sceneries, smaller than Verbano but still based in Italy and Switzerland.

With Verbano, I started with a 1024 heightmap, 150 m cell size...the cell size was to big. I made a big error :D. Now I'm planning to reload the heightmap with a bigger one, I'm going to reduce the cell size and to re-import objects. I just tried to load the scenery with a 4096 heightmap and 37,5 m cell size but ArmA 2 crashes immediately. Is it normal? I think yes, but not sure. :rolleyes: No problem with 2048 heightmap and 73m cell size, but 73m it's still too big. I have to reduce cell size especially for road mountains.

I've also created a new sat map. The first map had only one type of terrain. :o

You can see some screenshot here. They are from ArmA 1. :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jarl_hruodbhert/sets/72157617201311697/

Sorry for my english ^^

Great Map Gunny,

looks beautiful.

Greetings

Gunny1987: yeah, can't wait to fly around N. Italy, I usually drive there in RL ;) I did a bit of Tarvisio and Selva Nevea part in my map on far NW ;)

Thanks guys, I really hope to do a nice job. I hope... :D

This screen is only to show the full map, there are names of few cities, it is another screen of April, alpha stage. As you can see it's based on Lake Major (Maggiore in italian) area, scenery includes a part of Lombardy and Piedmont (Italy), small part of Vallais and Ticino (Switzerland). Ticino river is too large as you can see in screenshot, I have to reduce the size :D Also lake Major needs some rework.

verbanomap.th.jpg

@IceBreakr: Yeah, I play your map, it's fantastic and I've seen that there is a small area of Friuli Venezia Giulia (or Furlanija Julijska krajina) :cool: I'm also very interested to your new project, Isla Duala, the Tonal style island :cool: I remember Tonal in OFP... what a wonderful map and campaign!

Edited by Gunny1987

looking forward to seeing a big ass island released.

I would suggest, besides the towns you got there, to create some Sahrani style military encampments (there are none in A2 islands afaik)..well, and at least 1 airport :P

hey can someone guide me here?

J am little lost in this site :p.

j whant to ask question about how to make units to get out from vehicle if is under attack?

help pls,

thanks

Big maps take too long to work on, so I try and stay within 10km x 10km. I do however have a 20km x 20km island in the works.

153x153 thats allot of details, should keep a soul busy and out of trouble for awhile.

10x10 is already a hefty project for one man ;) at least if you're being little of a perfectionist ;)

You ain't kidding IceBreakr!!

After several abortive attempts I reclassified as "learning experience", I'm deep into some serious terrain tweaking and texturing for a 20x20km island - I estimate it'll take me a year!

B

lol i even went back to 5 x 5 km cause work, kids, a girlfriend aint mixing well with huuuuge projects. Island making takes a lot of time and not to mention its never finished. At some point its just enough.

153.6kmx153.6km

IT was released with the 31st Normandy mod for ArmA1. I am doing a more basic multiplayer ai friendly version, same size for ArmA2. I believe it's the largest map released. It's about 1/2 scale of it's real world counterpart.

Small update.

I'm starting to become crazy. I re-import the map to decrease the cell size from original 150m to 37,5m or 75m (2048x75 or 4096x37,5)...I load the new Sat_LCO, then I start Buldozer...no problem with conversion of texture...new satellite texture appears great in buldozer. So, I try to insert an object but when I insert it buldozer crashes immediately:(

It gives me this error...

http://img696.imageshack.us/i/visitorerror.jpg/

Here are the project parameters

http://img63.imageshack.us/i/projectparameters.jpg/

It gives the same error also when I try to place objects on 4096x37,5 map :(

:hang:

Gunny thats a nice map you have going there! just peeped the flickr, i'm interested as well man

Hopefully I will be starting a 225 km by 225 km map pretty soon. Any tips on how to avoid any major issues?