Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

suspend dedicated server?

Guys,

Is there a way of suspending a dedicated, persistent server?

As I understand it, a persistent server won't unload the map when the last player quits AND the AI continue to function. I'm wondering if there is a way of 'freezing' the server state for a period of time.

Maybe this could be achieved by some sort of server side game save? Reload the game when the players return?

No. On a persistent server, the game carries on after all the players leave, so the AI continue. I want to know if it's possible to stop everything on the server and be able to resume it when the players return.

How about

{_x disableAI "MOVE"} forEach allUnits;

One option, if you have control over server hardware, might be to suspend whole server and operating system. Haven't tested this, but it should work. Of course its extra inconvenience.

I won't have control over the server hardware, unfortunately. It's a commercially rented server. You mean actually suspend the OS, just like I do with my windows laptop? It's an interesting idea.

I hadn't though about using setAccTime. You mean slow server time down so much it's effectively stopped?

Yea but it says it doesn't work in multiplayer. However, they may mean it doesn't sync everyone. If no one is connected, it might actually work on the server alone.

Yeah, I saw that. Testing required. :)

It's possible to pause and resume a process using a Linux command line, whether that will just cause a crash once resumed, I have no idea. I don't have any Linux distro installed at the moment to try it out.

kill -STOP <pid>
kill -CONT <pid>

linux? ewwww :D

Server runs Windows. :)

It's possible to pause and resume a process using a Linux command line, whether that will just cause a crash once resumed, I have no idea. I don't have any Linux distro installed at the moment to try it out.

kill -STOP <pid>
kill -CONT <pid>

cool...will try that one just 4 fun ;-)

See the thread I linked earlier. Discussion continues there.