Sign in to follow this  
-Total-

Flight Sim'ers: Lock On 2.0 Announced

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=782974#post782974

Will make DCS Blackshark and Lock On: Flaming Cliffs compatible online (WOOHOO!), add aircraft, and many fixes!

Combat flight sim'ers have been waiting on this for a long while :D

This is just incredible. I love the DCS guys. This is one step closer to the Virtual Battlefield concept that Janes and Microprose dreamed of.

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

Falcon 4 has yet to be beat :)

For stable, online coop get the re-released Falcon 4: Allied Force

FYI, there is FreeFalcon5 out. Which is Falcon4 on steroids.

Multiple aircraft supported out of the box. Multiple cockpits. Upgraded AI. More realistic weapons systems. Carrier operations...and tons more. Check it out sometime. Oh and updated graphics and effects. Higher fidelity models also.

For me FreeFalcon5 works find on Vista and XP for me but crashes on Windows 7 but it my just be my setup.

While this is not the proper place to ask. What about DCS ? will it benefit from the same upgrade ?. I mean I skipped flaming cliffs but own DCS:blackshark will I be able (by buying this upgrade) to play with su-27, F-15 etc.. in DCS (albeit with medium fidelity) ?

While this is not the proper place to ask. What about DCS ? will it benefit from the same upgrade ?. I mean I skipped flaming cliffs but own DCS:blackshark will I be able (by buying this upgrade) to play with su-27, F-15 etc.. in DCS (albeit with medium fidelity) ?

Two separate games, but they can play together in MP. This update is mainly bringing Lock On up to date with DCS.

I don't mind the SF protection. Seriously, how many times does one have to reinstall the game?

Also, if you make a backup of the registry key, you can reinstall without reactivation unless you reformat.

Falcon 4.0 was indeed great, but it's community has pretty much disappeared :(

I beg to differ. :)

It isn't what it once was, in the "glory" days of Combatsim and Delphi, but there are many still around (basically 3 camps).

Falcon 4 *.* pwns Lockon *.* :D

Not even close.

The ONLY real advantage F4 has is the dynamic campaign. Flight model, radar model, weapons model etc are all way better in LO.

The dynamic campaign IS a significant feature and I wish ED had taken the time to design one but F4 hardly *pwns" LO.

And don't get me wrong, I really like F4, it's a great sim.

Edited by BangTail

The dynamic campaign IS a significant feature...

Indeed, that was what really fascinated me about Falcon 4.0 :cool:

FYI, there is FreeFalcon5 out. Which is Falcon4 on steroids.

Multiple aircraft supported out of the box. Multiple cockpits. Upgraded AI. More realistic weapons systems. Carrier operations...and tons more. Check it out sometime. Oh and updated graphics and effects. Higher fidelity models also.

For me FreeFalcon5 works find on Vista and XP for me but crashes on Windows 7 but it my just be my setup.

Well for most, even after the recent patch, it is still highly unstable in most campaigns. Recently they fixed one of the campaigns but even there you get quite a few crashes. The campaign engine before this patch was just broken, which is sad because it is the main selling point for anything Falcon 4 based.

Do you know how difficult it is to do a DC...

A DC in FC2 and DCS would be fantastic. But it all boils down to how much you can afford and I think the engine aswel.

Would ArmA be anybetter with a DC?

Not even close.

I agree it isn't even close!

The ONLY real advantage F4 has is the dynamic campaign. Flight model, radar model, weapons model etc are all way better in LO.

Oh.. wait... you meant LO is better? ;) :)

FM, radar, weapons models.... ah right... in the low res, no-switches, 3d-only pits? (Ok, Black Shark excluded in the pit thing.) Plus, LO has what - like 6 a/c to fly? And, most importantly, tight restrictions on any modifications. What you get is all you'll ever have.

How boring. :)

The dynamic campaign IS a significant feature and I wish ED had taken the time to design one but F4 hardly *pwns" LO.

They can't take the time, because they are too busy making plastic flight games. pwnage is pwnage, pure and simple. F4, while old, is still LO's only real competition in the market. Look - the original F4 stopped being published about 10 yrs ago, and I'm not even sure you can still buy AF (not that anyone would want to), and we are STILL talking about it! That's pwnification right there!

And don't get me wrong, I really like F4, it's a great sim.

I knew you'd come around. :D

(And I'm just razzin'.)

I agree it isn't even close!

Oh.. wait... you meant LO is better? ;) :)

FM, radar, weapons models.... ah right... in the low res, no-switches, 3d-only pits? (Ok, Black Shark excluded in the pit thing.) Plus, LO has what - like 6 a/c to fly? And, most importantly, tight restrictions on any modifications. What you get is all you'll ever have.

How boring. :)

They can't take the time, because they are too busy making plastic flight games. pwnage is pwnage, pure and simple. F4, while old, is still LO's only real competition in the market. Look - the original F4 stopped being published about 10 yrs ago, and I'm not even sure you can still buy AF (not that anyone would want to), and we are STILL talking about it! That's pwnification right there!

I knew you'd come around. :D

(And I'm just razzin'.)

Just the fact that you keep using multiple variations of "pwn" is enough to end this conversation. Are you 12 or something?

Realism is important to me and F4 is nowhere near LO in the realism department. Unlike yourself, I remain objective, both are great sims with their own strengths and weakenesses.

LOL

Indeed, F4 is nowhere near LO's "realism" - that's what makes it (F4) a sim, rather than a game (LO). :)

Friend, I really am just giving you a hard time out of fun. I've been in far too many, far more heated, conversations about topics like this to take it seriously.

Fly what you enjoy. :)

Peace out.

Well for most, even after the recent patch, it is still highly unstable in most campaigns. Recently they fixed one of the campaigns but even there you get quite a few crashes. The campaign engine before this patch was just broken, which is sad because it is the main selling point for anything Falcon 4 based.

Yeah I understand those problems due to the complexities they have added in. I have both Falcon4:AF, Falcon4 (with a ton of addons), and FreeFalcon5 all installed. AF for the stable campaign, Falcon4 for reminiscing the good old days, and FreeFalcon5 for all the great goodies and the single TE missions.

I believe they are working very hard on stabilizing the campaigns. I remember reading a couple weeks ago the latest patch made 2 of the campaigns foolproof, and even more dynamic than original Falcon4...they do admit problems with the tons of other campaigns they have thrown in there.

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

I don't mind the SF protection. Seriously, how many times does one have to reinstall the game?

Also, if you make a backup of the registry key, you can reinstall without reactivation unless you reformat.

You haven't been looking in the right places then if you think that

Yeah I'm just trying to educate the children here ;)

Age and wisdom pwns n00biosity and y00th.

:D

LOL

Indeed, F4 is nowhere near LO's "realism" - that's what makes it (F4) a sim, rather than a game (LO). :)

Friend, I really am just giving you a hard time out of fun. I've been in far too many, far more heated, conversations about topics like this to take it seriously.

Fly what you enjoy. :)

Peace out.

F4 has a dynamic campaign, that's the only real advantage it has (as I've conceded, it's a significant advantage and the single biggest omission in LO).

LO has far better flight, weapons and systems modelling etc. There is no argument, these are facts. Of course, if you'd rather act like a fanboy, have at it!

As you said, fly what you enjoy. Hawx sounds like a good choice for you :D

I like to "raz" as well ;)

Edited by BangTail

hehe

That's the spirit! :D

I'll concede the weapons modeling, and PERHAPS the systems modeling for non-F-16 a/c. (In fact, has LO even done an F-16 yet? Or are they avoiding it due to the direct comparisons?)

But, the flight modeling, no way. At least not with the community patches. Maybe if we're comparing out-of-the-box, then yeah... F4 barely worked out of the box. :D

If we compare any of the "modern" F4 variants then F4's FMs are more realistic. Now, if we compare the F4 community mods to the LO community mods... oh... wait... never mind - there AREN'T ANY!

Oh and speaking of Hawx, as I understand, they got their inspiration from LOs' magic push-this-button-to-do-the-Cobra flight model! WTF? Do they still have the push-this-button-to-land, too? Who really cares about rMin/rMax - just put the bogey in the box and push the button for the laser-rocket Russian magic missiles!

Now, Black Shark, from what I can tell, has set a new standard in helo sims. If they can do that with this next flightsim, that may really be the end of F4.... but we'll see. ;)

hehe

That's the spirit! :D

I'll concede the weapons modeling, and PERHAPS the systems modeling for non-F-16 a/c. (In fact, has LO even done an F-16 yet? Or are they avoiding it due to the direct comparisons?)

But, the flight modeling, no way. At least not with the community patches. Maybe if we're comparing out-of-the-box, then yeah... F4 barely worked out of the box. :D

If we compare any of the "modern" F4 variants then F4's FMs are more realistic. Now, if we compare the F4 community mods to the LO community mods... oh... wait... never mind - there AREN'T ANY!

Oh and speaking of Hawx, as I understand, they got their inspiration from LOs' magic push-this-button-to-do-the-Cobra flight model! WTF? Do they still have the push-this-button-to-land, too? Who really cares about rMin/rMax - just put the bogey in the box and push the button for the laser-rocket Russian magic missiles!

Now, Black Shark, from what I can tell, has set a new standard in helo sims. If they can do that with this next flightsim, that may really be the end of F4.... but we'll see. ;)

I don't like the fact that they've picked the A10 (especially since it's been done already in LO)

I would've liked a Tomcat or an F-18 on the US side, or the Hind on the Russian side.

I was referring to "out of the box", I am aware that F4 has been heavily modded although we can't really compare properly as there is no F-16 in LO.

Cheers

Edited by BangTail

and I'm not even sure you can still buy AF (not that anyone would want to), and we are STILL talking about it! That's pwnification right there!

You can buy AF anywhere, its not that old(2005) but finding Lock-on is another story.

The only thing I would like to see in AF is better clouds and perhaps that pilot-breathing sound that FF5.3 has. Flying AF with Winter terrain in balkans campaign is insane. :yay:

@ BangTail - oh yeah, if F4 had not been modded, it would've withered on the vine. Even then, if the source code hadn't been leaked, the modding would not have been nearly as productive.

@ PvtNoob - I actually never saw AF locally in any stores. I imagine you can still buy it online, though, that's a good point. AF has other issues besides clouds, but the MP is a huge plus, and really, the different variants are all nuances of the same greatness. IMHO.

Free Falcon 5.3 - hell yeah!

Heard they have this awesome AJS-37 Viggen 2D cockpit too.

just awesome.

:)

You can buy AF anywhere, its not that old(2005) but finding Lock-on is another story.

The only thing I would like to see in AF is better clouds and perhaps that pilot-breathing sound that FF5.3 has. Flying AF with Winter terrain in balkans campaign is insane. :yay:

I've given up buying pc games in stores over here anymore. 90% of games in shops are consoles.

F4 has a dynamic campaign, that's the only real advantage it has (as I've conceded, it's a significant advantage and the single biggest omission in LO).

LO has far better flight, weapons and systems modelling etc. There is no argument, these are facts. Of course, if you'd rather act like a fanboy, have at it!

As you said, fly what you enjoy. Hawx sounds like a good choice for you :D

I like to "raz" as well ;)

Why so defensive and aggressive...

Flight Sim Games != Serious Business no need to be mean about it

:) chill

Why so defensive and aggressive...

Flight Sim Games != Serious Business no need to be mean about it

:) chill

Neither. I was just being objective about both games rather than declaring a "winner".

Both great sims, everybody wins :)

Edited by BangTail

And I thought this topic was about Lock On 2.0...