Sign in to follow this  
Draper

Air Support Scripts

Can't play it local MP. Clicking play in the mission select screen does nothing. Editing it gets a warning "file is read only!" and the map is empty.

Can't play it local MP. Clicking play in the mission select screen does nothing. Editing it gets a warning "file is read only!" and the map is empty.

seems like its a mission created in 3d editor maybe?

Those give me those error "read only empty map...

??? that is blowing my mind...

I didn't use the 3D editor, I've never in all my years seen a mission do that...

I don't really know what else to do other then re-upload it. Works fine in my game.

round 2

When we're using the LGB option, the pilot seems to rarely be able to release. Perhaps 1 in 10 calls result in a destroyed target.

Sometimes the aircraft is shot down, other times, the pilot flies into terrain, both of which we can understand, but what I can't work out is why the aircraft makes a number of passes on the target without releasing.

Is it the way I'm calling him in? When I do the map click, how close does it have to be to the target I'm designating? Is 50 meters close enough or should it be as close as possible?

Another thing that's sprung to mind. The desinator spot.. does it have a side? If' I'm using east and west airsupport, is an east aircraft likely to attack a west designated target?

The problem is that is just how the aircraft is designed to behave. In my experience with the script they never drop the first time around, they usually get it locked in one pass and drop the next, if the LD is on target when they enter the area.

The short answer is nothing can be done about this because it is the AI calling the shots to do the drop. Your side and distance from mark will have little effect in comparison to the AI's own prerogative on search and destroy.

The long answer is I've been trying to come up with a way to circumvent this like I do with the JDAM option which calculates a trajectory and goes to it. The problem with LGB's is trying to get them to guide as the target can move. I had an idea a while back to try to use an FSM in order to get around a scripting issue in ARMA where scripts are given a low processing priority and therefore can't update a trajectory of bomb quickly enough. I've also tried to pull ARMA apart to find the LGB guiding code that they use in game but haven't had any luck. So the key is to really find away to guide a bomb on demand, instead of letting an AI decide.

I thought that was what you'd say. We brewed our own AS scripts and they behaved the same way yours do. We're limited by the fact the AI suck at flying.

So, let me ask this then, from what you've seen, which type of mission is more likely to get ordnance on target, more often? LGB, CBU or CAS?

I think I'm going to rule out LGB. My mission is two teamed, so balance is important. I'm not sure I can have BLUFOR having LGB when none is available to OPFOR.

CAS is a search and destroy like the LGB, So it won't necessarily be accurate, just w/e the AI decides is higher priority (vehicles, etc.). The JDAM and CBU are released independent of the aircraft behavior, in fact he is put in safe mode so he just flys over once for show. The JDAM and CBU should be accurate to within 10 meters or so. Enough to demo a particular building within a city.

But JDAM doesn't actually feature an aircraft, if I'm reading it right? The whole reason I want this because I miss having fixed wing overhead (I don't have them in my mission for the human teams) so I think I'll go with CBU for now.

PS, haven't tried your 1.4 yet. Will try it tomorrow and report back.

No... all the ordnance have an aircraft that flies over, if it doesn't appear then there must be a bug. I don't do that simpleton stuff off spawn a bomb directly overhead and let it fall :)

For 1.4, I added a weapon check for the radio or backpack and set it up for TvT for two sides at once.

I was reading it wrong then. My apologies. :)

By the way, I'm getting this error in server RPT and the AS ability gets given to apparently random players.

2011/05/24, 18:57:00 Error in expression <Switch false;
ASfirstrun = true;
nul = [west_1, "lgb"] execVM "airSup\airSupInit>
2011/05/24, 18:57:00   Error position: <west_1, "lgb"] execVM "airSup\airSupInit>
2011/05/24, 18:57:00   Error Undefined variable in expression: west_1
2011/05/24, 18:57:00 File mpmissions\__cur_mp.Takistan\init.sqf, line 10

west_1 is the name of my squad leader.

class Item0
			{
				position[]={8295.3408,296.04001,2081.0435};
				azimut=-572.32501;
				special="NONE";
				id=7;
				side="WEST";
				vehicle="BAF_Soldier_Officer_MTP";
				player="PLAY CDG";
				leader=1;
				lock="UNLOCKED";
				rank="MAJOR";
				skill=0.60000002;
				text="west_1";
				init="this setGroupid [""West""]; ";
				description="Alpha Leader";
			};

huh, I guess that means its executing the script before it has defined the name of units?

Try using the finishMissionInit command at the beginning of the init.sqf or at least before the script is called. Might give the server time to finish the inits in the units before running the init.sqf

That's very possible. It's a modded Domination mission and we know how script intensive they are. I'll move it to the other end of the init and try again.

hi guys, read the whole thread from start to finish, can get the script runnign fine in editor but in cop MP i have the "call airstrike" but when seleced it just gives option to exit and no options for selecting the actually aistrikes....What im a doing wrong ima newbie to all this...

George,

Read post 295 by me earlier. I think I might have had the same problem.

T

George,

Read post 295 by me earlier. I think I might have had the same problem.

T

Yeah i did read that but not to sure how to do it, im relativley new...Could u explain in a tad mroe depth for me? :o

You probably got the stringtable.xml if you got the action menu.

You might not have the "jdam","cbuap" etc. in the call line.

Also makesure you have ASfirstrun = true; before the call line.

If your having locality issues in MP, it needs to run on player who needs it.

Short of that I can't exactly figure it out without seeing it in front of me.

Hi Draper (or anyone else reading this). Firstly thanks for a killer script!, I've really been enjoying using it on different missions. Just one question in regards to sides, would it be possible to implement air support as available to independents? Would it be as simple as adding a 'case GUER' Heading into the airsup.sqf file? And if my technique is flawed if anyone could maybe steer me in the right direction that would be grouse!

Yes, as long as you don't mess up the syntax it should be just that easy to add an independent side. so...

switch (side _man) do {

case GUER:{

... all the variables redefined....

};

};

Read up to post 25 or so, didn't see anyone with the exact problem I'm having.

I moved my airSup folder into a folder called scripts, went into each script and changed the paths, as well as in my init. Everything appears to work fine, I get the menus, map clicks, everything is good until it spawns the aircraft. Pretty much I get an instant message saying the aircraft have returned to base or been shot down. It's the same for fixed wing and helos. - I've moved the ASpad all over the place and no luck.

Any help?

Thanks.

If it says instant death then they probably are not getting spawned in the first place. If your variables are all correctly named then do you have the ASpad object placed?

Yes I do have the ASpad, I did run into a similar issue when I ran the script for the for time on my mission, using your standard file paths. The fix was just moving the ASpad around, and rotating it until it worked.

Since things were working I figured I'd do some house cleaning, get everything into a "scripts" folder, and as stated, appeared fine until the script went to create the aircraft. I moved the ASpad all around again thinking it was of the same nature, but after about an hour of trial and fail, I made my post here.

I've since removed it from my mission for later implementation. It's a down right awesome script by the way. Could you point me where to look if I'm having an issue with the aircraft both helo>fixed wing, not being spawned correctly? I might have missed file path.

Thanks Draper, for your time and this awesome script.

ED: Map I'm using it on is Zargabad (small and not much flat surface) but I have seen the script run flawlessly on it, until I ucked it up.

Yeah I'm not sure how changing directories would effect that. In the past it has always been variables not being defined properly causing instant death.

Try looking in the error report file (arma2oa.rpt) after trying to run the scripts. Might give you a syntax error which can point you in the right direction.

Yeah I'm not sure how changing directories would effect that. In the past it has always been variables not being defined properly causing instant death.

Try looking in the error report file (arma2oa.rpt) after trying to run the scripts. Might give you a syntax error which can point you in the right direction.

Will do, thanks.