Sign in to follow this  
Rex Ursus

I need help un pbo-ing so it shows up in the editor

I have both of the pbo tools and think I might have it right on how to use them, but am not sure. Bottom line is I think I know where to put a mission or multiplayer mission so that the editor can open but apparently not because when I open the editor nothing is never there.

I am bound and determined to learn how to edit but I can't seem to get the hang of opening already made files so I may examine and learn from others.

This un pbo thing has me stumped. Is it possible that the tools are not installed correctly? Is it possible that I just don't know exactly where and/or how to open things properly?

I really need help with this.

what pbo tools are you using?

I use pboview and unpbo pbo decrypter

when you use these tools it's easier to unpbo the file to the desktop so you can find it easier. Then put that folder in your my documents\arma2 other profiles\player name\mpmissions folder. I always edit in the mp mode, so when you start an mp session, look for the mission names in blue text, select it and then an option to edit will appear.

Hope this helps...welcome to the rewarding/frustrating world of editing!

I recommend cpbo by Kegetys.

Go to http://www.kegetys.net/arma/

Scroll down to ArmA Tools and download that package.

Extract it to somewhere like C:\armatools so that within that folder you will have a cpbo folder (and the other accompanying tool folders).

Run cpbo for the first time by double-clicking on it. It should prompt you if you would like to register extensions. Choose Yes.

No right-click on any folder and you should have a Create PBO option or on any PBO and you should have Extract and Extract PBO... option. If you don't you need to right click on cpbo and run as adminstrator.

Now get the mission PBO you want to work with by downloading it from armaholic or checking your:

C:\Documents and Settings\loginname\Local Settings\Application Data\ArmA 2\MPMissionsCache for XP

C:\Users\loginname\AppData\Local\ArmA 2\MPMissionsCache for Vista

Now move it to the working directory for the editor. The default user directory is:

(My )Documents\ArmA 2 if you have only one profile in-game. If you created a second profile it will be ArmA 2 Other Profiles. Also, depending if you use the single player or multiplayer editor (accessible by hosting a LAN game) it will by Mission or MP Mission. For example:

Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\gamename\MPMissions

Double-click on the PBO to extract it and it will already be named in a way that the editor will recognize it (has the map name extension) i.e. crcti_WARFARE_09.Chernarus

That's it. Open the editor and you can find your mission in highlighted text.

A few things to keep in mind:

Previewing the mission saves the changes you made.

Previewing in the single player editor will cause some scripts to not work as intended if built for multiplayer.

I recommend not exporting your mission through the editor. When you want to export the mission, use Create PBO on the folder in windows explorer. Exporting with the editor will create the PBO in your main ArmA 2\MPMissions directory. If you do this, you will have to rename your mission you are editing before previewing, otherwise the preview will use the PBO you created earlier and not the working folder that you may have made changes to since exporting.

If you want to rename a working folder. Use Windows Explorer. Trying to save an mission in the editor under a different name will only copy the mission.sqm over and leave behind all the custom scripts.

Even when I take the read only attribute off of it.

But now that it shows up in both editers I believe I am on the edge. Of success or of pulling all of my hair out!!

How can I get rid of the Warning. this is a read only file message.

I think you have it in the wrong directory. It's not supposed to be in your install directory (C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\MPMissions).

Rather, Documents\ArmA 2 Other Profiles\gamename\MPMissions

I put it exactly where you said to which is as above. But now you have me thinking that if I remove it from all other places in my system, It will work. Becouse it is in my appdata files and ohter places too.

It is definatly in my docs \ ..... folder but maybe it is being screwed up somehow. Because it starts to load and then when it is almost done loading it suddenly seems to burp and then the 'Warning: File is read only!' comes up.

you proably have an additional folder in between

missions\Test.utes\Test.utes\mission.sqm

=>

missions\Test.utes\mission.sqm