Sign in to follow this  
smiley nick

What would you transport? (RAF Chinook)

Hello everyone!

To try and get some feedback from everyone, I'm looking for examples of what you as an individual or clan/group would transport if you had the ability to do so under a Chinook airframe.

A updated RAF Chinook is close for release, and I'm happy to say that Norrin is going to help bring the Chinook to a multi functioning role which will include basic troop transport, fast-rope and under-slung transport abilities.

In order to get an idea what people might want to transport, i would like to ask everyone planning to use this addon to make a simple reply as to what you might want to transport, so we can gauge the more common objects/items to the more unique objects.

This will help us setup the rope system, in terms of how they will attach, and how they will look in presentation.

I am guessing that the majority of people might say vehicles, but please say what ones.

Thanks everyone, look forward to the replies.

Edited by Smiley Nick

Mainly under-slung crates of various types. Big boxes, and loads with several boxes. If you could somehow work out some netting such as this: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/3175637803_a0ed4c17f4.jpg that'd be great.

Main issue for us is keeping the pilots busy, and obviously making sure we don't run dry. So perhaps some mobility and vehicle removal every so often, but mainly resupply work. Whichever vehicles are made compatible (including other helicopters) will be a bonus. Seriously looking forward to this Smiley!

Obviously All Hummers/FAV's and also LAV's i for realism sake dont think tanks should be transported by helo but thats me. And all the repeair/refuel/rearm and standard MTVR's.

@daniel if you have the chinooks coming with netted cargo id like to see a system implemented that whilst flying the cargo hits the ground u lose it or stand the chance of also losing the helo as all transporting at the mo the cargo underslung just melts into the ground and is at no danger. it gives the pilots sumat else to think about

Edited by UKMERC

The UKF Snatch landrovers, FAVs, and make it so you can get into it easier without having to stand 10 feet behind it to find the get in command.

Thanks for the replies

@ Daniel

Great sugestions, resupply is vital for MP games. Would somthing like this do

http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/Objects/ammobox/full/USVehicleBox.jpg

Players could then removeallwepons, and add in their own kit via int or script?

@ UKMERC

Thanks, i will have to check the weights of the LAV, but hummers and trucks will be supported. As for cargo hitting the ground, we will try our best!

@ Ebanks

Yep the fastrope area will be at the back, with two ropes either side of the rear ramp.

@Colonel Stagler

The "get in" location has changed, and is now closer to the helicopter. As far as i am aware, the UKF snatches have not been released, but anything UKF related will be supported as much as possible, for obvious reasons.

EDIT

On another note, is there anything from http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/ that you might plan to use for "non combat" missions, and more in the lines of aid work, construction supply, ect ect?

Edited by Smiley Nick

ammunition supplies(ammo crates) and various vehicles;static weapons/objects which are not exceeding chinooks payload, unless there would be a script to reduce chinooks fuel weight to increase payload.

P.S. me thinks that most common chinook's work is to carry supplies, 2nd role for carrying troops and last - vehicles/objects, but it's only me ;)

EDIT,

don't forget to allow to carry opfor vehicles too(lootings/examinations/you name it...)

Edited by Gedis

Absolutely Smiley, would work similar to Mando Hitch, but hopefully better visually represented. There are some cargo crates already in game with some sort of cargo netting, but ammo crates with more authentic netting would be superb.

On another note, is there anything from http://www.armatechsquad.com/ArmA2Class/ that you might plan to use for "non combat" missions, and more in the lines of aid work, construction supply, ect ect?

If RKSL are planning to re-release their cargo script (haven't checked), then we should be ok with a small range of cargo containers, and drag things in and out of those. If not, some basics like static weapons and generators would be good.

Edited by Daniel

Artillery pieces, and please make these aircraft cargo holds be able to carry a lot. So if we aren't using cargo drops, we can at least put a bunch of equipment ( weapons and ammo ) in the gear box of the helicopter.

In order to get an idea what people might want to transport, i would like to ask everyone planning to use this addon to make a simple reply as to what you might want to transport, so we can gauge the more common objects/items to the more unique objects.

372037033443.jpeg

:drinking2:

@Mr_Burns, nah, you want chocolate cookies in that Chinook!

But yeah, any small(ish) vehicle such as a WMIK :)

bikes, motorbikes, landrovers, zodiacs and probaly some others.

would be pretty awesome if you could make a large group of crates, in a net as a model, on the ground, empty, then allowling the player to fill those crates while on the ground, or with a script which ever you prefer, then if the chook is hovering over it it can hook it on, which could then activate a animation similar to the parachute folding up so that it looks like that picture earlier in the thread, however i have VERY little experience with static model animations so not ever sure if its possible lol.

best of luck mate.

---------- Post added at 09:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 AM ----------

bikes, motorbikes, landrovers, zodiacs and probaly some others.

would be pretty awesome if you could make a large group of crates, in a net as a model, on the ground, empty, then allowling the player to fill those crates while on the ground, or with a script which ever you prefer, then if the chook is hovering over it it can hook it on, which could then activate a animation similar to the parachute folding up so that it looks like that picture earlier in the thread, however i have VERY little experience with static model animations so not ever sure if its possible lol.

best of luck mate.

And of course... the usual Humvees and UAZs (at least I believe the UAZ's can be airlifted? Or can they only be transported aboard helicopters rather than in wire?)

Maybe allow small vehicles, provided that they fit, be stored in the hull of the helicopter.

In warfare missions it would be cool if you could airlift the command vehicle to a new location. Would add some interesting game play options!

I'd like to be able to transport the Venga Bus, so that I can get to San Francisco for the inter-city disco.

Mortars, M119, every small vehicle, crates.

Would be nice to have a green\red light in cargo that the pilot can swicth for "hardcore paratroopers".

BTW, is possible to have a rope (as object) while lifting something or its, somehow, bugged?

Trucks , cars, apc's crates fuel barrels hell maybe even broken down blackhawk that needs to be flown back to a more secure location for repairs?

I think an interest aspect which would be more difficult to code but might present some interesting options would be to include a requirement for someone on the ground to "connect" and "disconnect" the load to and from the helo. This could be something as simple as requiring a player or AI to be on the ground within x meters of the helo.

I also think it important to carry arty piece and crates of ammo.

Lastly, I wanted to say keep up the great work. I know it can be very draining and demanding. We look forward to this addon!

BTW, is possible to have a rope (as object) while lifting something or its, somehow, bugged?

I believe this is why Smiley is asking for specifics. What do you really want to haul? Then they'll consider aligning the ropes for it. Could be wrong though.

I would transport probably ammo, light vehicles such as HMMWVS, maybe LAVs.

Thanks for the replies.

In keeping with arma2, I'm in the process of making some simple cargo based objects that will be wrapped up in a cargo net.

For now, whats everyones thoughts on having icons to represent each cargo variant? (similar to the supply trucks)

I am planning to have "Ammo, Rearm" , " Repair" and "Refuel". It might be easier than having to transport its equivalent of a truck. Does the yellow spanner look to newbie or fall into the theme well?

wipcargo.jpg

Looks good, always nice to see new models, although surely transporting a truck would be easier, as it would require the same details/work etc for all 4 types of USMC trucks?

Pallets would be awesome.

Remove the dropshadow on the yellow spanner, it makes it looks like it's embossed. Lower the transparency slightly on it too, and you'll end up with it looking stencilled onto the wood (I hope). To complete the effect be sure to remove the "paint" where each plank of wood ends ;)