Sign in to follow this  
ironcomatose

Just installed Arma and its not working....

When i start the game it takes forever to load, then the main menu is on some tiny resolution and all the text is unreadable. On top of that half of the screen is cut off. It appears that half the menu is below the monitor. Everything also looks dark and fuzzy. I purchased and downloaded the game online and I have already installed the new 1.14 patch. I bought the Gold version online if that helps.

System specs.....

Sony Vaio

1600 by 900(16:9)

Windows 7 Home premium 64bit

2.13GHz Core Duo

6gbs of DDR2 ram

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4650 512mb

EDIT: I did a little more looking and i see now that there is a 1.16 beta that fixs a similar issue to mine. I will try that and get back to you guys. O

Ok that didnt work at all. Im not even sure if the patches(both 1.14 and 1.16) are installing because during every install is gives me a message saying "Not enough space to install application" and a yes or no option. Ive been hitting yes. Please help.

Make sure you run the patch installer as administrator (right click on .exe and then select "run as administrator").

You also need to install the patches in a certain order, depending on which initial version you have. For example if you have v1.08 (not sure which version the Gold version has included) then you need to install 1.14 first before you can install 1.16.

I bought the gold version online as well and it already comes with 1.08, as such, I installed only the 1.14. I run a lower end Sony vaio than you and get a little bit of a graphic problem which even the new 1.17b patch isn't solving, so I think its due to my laptop graphics card. Other than that, I am enjoying the game so far! :)

No its the ATI 4000 series, arma seems not to run on them at all. I don't know why yet, I asked but no one has replied to my topic.

But try v1.17 just in case, lets see what happens.

Damn, that breaks my heart. But i have one more question, how come other people with completely different cards are having almost identical issues? I will try the 1.17 later today. Do i install it over 1.16?

Edited by IronComatose

1.17 is installed over the 1.14, not 1.16.

Darn... maybe I should go with Nvidia instead of ATI on the core i5 rig I am putting together for ArmA.

Negative, the 1.17 beta patch replaces the 1.16 beta patch.

Last full game patch was 1.14 and remains 1.14 thus far.

The beta patches do not overwrite any aspect of the normal game version.

Planck

Well i uninstalled the game and already submitted a request for a refund and waiting for the funds to be transferred to my account. Thanks for the help guys but nothing seemed to work.

Looks like i with stick with Project Reality for now :p

pity....

but I must agree that it is ridiculous for ArmA to crap up on 64bit systems, high ram and high end card.... all of which you are having... so its not just one problem you need to solve anyways... ArmA is a ton of problem solving... took me days to get right.

With your kind of rig, you should try ArmA2 instead... have you tried?

Man, I am having this EXACT same issue as well!

I'm installed on Windows 7 RC 64bit. The initial version didn't work... I patched to 1.14 and that didn't work either. I have a 4890 video card.

At first I thought it was my DVD drive not behaving... like maybe it died, but I took the DVD out and the game still ran(I assume dvd check has been removed), but I have the same problem.

Game takes forever to load up... it's at a super tiny resolution. The screen is chopped in half, I see black boxes on the bottom of the screen, and I see terrain moving on the bottom half of the screen but it looks like incredibly poor graphics distorted through some weird filters.

This is not a video card issue since this is a nearly brand new computer and I can still play the highest graphics games with no issue.

I also experienced "Not enough space to install Application" errors when installing the game and when trying to patch.

EDIT: Windowed mode works... but not full screen.

Why? :(

EDIT: I found another thread where someone had the same exact problem, and going to msconfig to change my maximum boot memory to be 3072 instead of the 4 gigs I had makes it run full screen perfectly.

Edited by Raziaar

Yup, ArmA always crap up on high end 64bit machines with big ram and latest gpu. have you tried ArmA2 instead?