Sign in to follow this  
ZeosPantera

Secondary Monitor as Map

It wouldn't be practical to have the map in-game in your hands because most of us have a rather tiny (19"-27") viewport into the arma world, so it's neccessary to have the map fill it entirely when you want to read it.

Maybe if it was a quick toggle to have the map half size in your hands and full screen. But even then I think it would be too much animation work for little return, compared to the amount of work to simply displaying the map on screen 2 instead of screen 1 when you press M, no other changes.

It would be cool if you could select only one screen for map with triple head (left, right or center). This is already possible with scripting btw, but of course you don't get the regular mouse controls etc for the map.

What, you mean exactly like reading a map in real life? Indeed! Now you're getting it! :D

I wasn't aware you can run around with a huge map in your hands while shooting people.

Making the map visible all the time with unit info and the other stuff would be stupid, except maybe for some game modes like berzerk and what have you.

The suggestion isn't about showing it on the secondary monitor only when you stopped with your weapon down so you can check around (which won't make that much difference from how it is now). It's about the dude wanting to run and gun with it centered on him like a 20" GPS device and open at all times. And in casual mode you can easily see what's going on around you on the map (because as he said he doesn't play on normal difficulty) - which will give him a clear advantage over the majority of players. That's the main point of my complaint.

my camp? Are we going to actually form camps now? Because I am pretty sure the rest of your argument concerning ... a clear gameplay advantage has already been discussed and concluded that in this NON CONSOLE game, clear, undeniable and tangible hardware advantages over the "other guy" can be accomplished by ...

• Having a superior Video card
  • Having a faster Processor
  • Using Triplehead
  • Using surround sound
  • Having a lower response time monitor
  • Using a higher DPI mouse
  • Using analog controls for vehicles
  • Having a faster internet connection
  • Using a voice program to speak to teammates

Life isn't fair and neither is gaming on PC. If you cant afford a second monitor then your the same as someone who cant afford three of them or a 6990 or a $200 gaming mouse.

So you can't post any arguments why you are correct posting ridiculous excuses instead down to lower response time monitor and higher DPI mouse?

Try harder dude. None of that gives any clear advantage over the other player. Even tripplehead. Because it just extends what is rendered around you - it isn't a bird's eye view on the battlefield like you want.

There is a GPS device in the game that shows a chunk of the map where you are - why don't you use it?

Edited by metalcraze

I wasn't aware you can run around with a huge map in your hands while shooting people.

No, but I can play Arma2 while having any information of my choosing on the second screen anyway, such as a bitmap version of the Arma2 map, excel charts with weapon and armor values, pictures of scantily clad ladies etc etc. Also I can shoot things with my mouse hand while drinking beer with the other one, and there's nothing you can do to stop me given that you don't know where I live. Mwahahaha :p

The suggestion isn't about showing it on the secondary monitor only when you stopped with your weapon down so you can check around (which won't make that much difference from how it is now).

Yeah, I know. I am also against that. You however seem to be against even a dual screen map that would be done well with proper regard to realism and gameplay.

If it's possible, by all means do it... I'd like to get GPS readouts on my G15 LCD, or any kind of info for that matter.

As pointed out above, computer gaming relies heavily on having advantages. Accept it.

As far as the real argument, the actual topic, I really could care less... But if I had a vote, I'd vote for it I guess.

You still can walk (keep holding W) while looking at map and you can use the PvPScene map and have no 'receiving' screen, it's quicker than normal map.

in my opinion this would be a godsend for pilots, tankers, ect. especially in 1 man jets.

Basically, this is what i've gotten out of this thread:

untitled.jpg

Bwahahahaha :bounce3:

UPDATED 042610: I would like to set a secondary monitor to be full time map. ..

Would love to have this.

Please let it be so.

Would be nice, though only if they disabled cheats like showing unit icons on the map, or only allowed it in vehicles.

That being said, just having a second monitor to blot dialogs to for whatever reason would be nice.

Would be nice, though only if they disabled cheats like showing unit icons on the map, or only allowed it in vehicles.

That being said, just having a second monitor to blot dialogs to for whatever reason would be nice.

Good point about the unit icons.

+2 on ZeosPantera's idea. I like it and wish it to be so.

Similar in the way FSX popups work be an exceptional feature.

I don't consider this possible feature to be unfair game wise. After all we all don't use the same computer hardware.

but GFX cards able to horsepower Arma2 in two-monitor mode/resolution wan't created, yet.

Basically, this is what i've gotten out of this thread:

-snip-

Except those people aren't carrying a rifle and 50 lbs of gear. A map in the second monitor would be available when you're looking through the sights. Please explain to me how someone can aim a rifle and examine their map at the same time.

What you're asking is complete nonsense.

Discussed many times.

Just because it's on a second screen, doesn't mean it has to be on all the time. The map could be hidden when you are moving or looking through sights. Also, there are civilians in Arma that don't carry anything by default.

And you can already put anything on the second screen when it's showing Windows desktop anyway, such as a PDF version of the Arma map, or weapon/armor charts etc. Also, you can print out a map and have it "visible on your desk or wall" even when you are walking in sighted mode in Arma :D

And you can already put anything on the second screen when it's showing Windows desktop anyway, such as a PDF version of the Arma map, or weapon/armor charts etc. Also, you can print out a map and have it "visible on your desk or wall" even when you are walking in sighted mode in Arma :D

And you can also put a dot in the middle of your monitor in case the server turns off crosshairs, we know. That doesnt mean we should always turn crosshairs on. :rolleyes:

Also, a real map that has the same amount of detail as a fully zoomed in onscreen map in a readable size would be quite large i think, and you would still end up with the 'folding a map and trying to find where you are while being shot at'. :p

If it's too large to be realistic, make it be smaller like. Simples.

I think the weapon should sway a lot when not using the sights and not having the weapon rested on a surface/object. /offtopic

If it's too large to be realistic, make it be smaller like. Simples.

Real maps are large.

Real maps are large.

and less detailed for the most part... Rarely do you ever see a map that is not 1:50,000 scale for at least the US military. 4 digit grid refs at most, not any of this 6 or 8 stuff you see! Also they might be out of date, buildings might or might not exist anymore, trees might be gone, there might be a new road, etc.

its would be funny to order real/printed maps of Chernarus/Takistan thru Impulse/Sproket or anywhere else, but i fear, number of buyers will make it commercially not so interesting as exciting it sound :(

its would be funny to order real/printed maps of Chernarus/Takistan thru Impulse/Sproket or anywhere else, but i fear, number of buyers will make it commercially not so interesting as exciting it sound :(

It wouldn't be that hard to print your own, you can export a vector graphic of any map in the game (though they are horribly in efficient...).

It wouldn't be that hard to print your own, you can export a vector graphic of any map in the game (though they are horribly in efficient...).

sure. IF i had a printer home.

probably get one for such purpose -)

seeking [artificial]reasons for delaying this purchase for years:P

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to know if this works in AO online? I tried download this mod and I didn't get it working.

Can anyone please inform me?

Thanks