Sign in to follow this  
ZeosPantera

Secondary Monitor as Map

I'd be all for this.

I don't see it as offering any particular gameplay advantage for those who have it (shouldn't be playing with a magic map that shows where all enemies are anyway).

I don't have a second monitor.

What I would like, is if someone would program an 'app' for iPhone/Android that lets you use your smart phone as GPS. That would increase immersion a good deal.

Seems it can be dun going by this vid of vbs

That actually looks like MP, possibly the players in the back seats have maps up?

This isn't a console game. Advantages are to be had in nearly all aspect of hardware. Why waste what you have in the name of fairness.

If this isn't a console game, then why do you want console features? Fairness is one of the arguments, but not nearly as important as the realism one. I'm on fairly low end computer. I don't mind others having better capabilities than me because of it. Why would I care if others have tripleheads? It's a advantage booster, sure, but it's a realistic one. The map just isn't.

It gives you no advantage at all. You too can buy a second monitor.

For the nth time. I have a secondary monitor. I just don't want to use it for this. And btw, often just buying a monitor isn't going to be enough, you may need a better gfx card too in order to drive them properly. :p

And it gives you one hell of an advantage. Why do you think the GPS doesn't show the same kind of information as the map?

@The last two:

That's not the player map, but a vehicles BFT display. That one I wouldn't mind having on a secondary, as I've stated over several posts now :) And boy do I want that BFT :D

What if it would work just like the normal map? You press M, take a knee and then the map appears and the mouse focus changes to it. If you were sighted, you'd be returned to 1st person view on the primary screen.

That would only add to the realism because you don't view a map by holding it against your face in real life.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

And Baff, many games support dual monitor. Off the top of my head, the X series you mentioned, X plane, MS Flight Sim, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander 1 and 2.

It's not difficult at all to render multiple view ports, games have done it since the 80's. And it can't be super hard to set up two different view ports on two monitors in DirectX.

Edited by Pulverizer

Seems it can be dun going by this vid of vbs

Looks like that may just be a completely different PC to drive the map screen.

Make it SP only maybe?

A lot of gamers don't play MP..

Most hardcore gamers have dualscreen set-ups these days.

At this moment you lower your weapon while looking at the map.

It would be nice to press M, get a map on your secondairy and still be able to look for landmarks but not being able to shoot. When you start moving or raise your weapon make it turn to the gear or tasks screen.

Good Idea?

In vehicles it should be always availible in the commanders seat.

In vehicles it should be always available in the commanders seat.

I think squad leaders should have it up all the time with unit positions/commands on screen and infantrymen should have just the map, squad positions just perhaps an objective list. That objective can be highlighted on the map but depending on difficulty the infantryman's position may not be shown to them so using landmarks and GPS cords to navigate that map is required.

I'd rather see a map like in Far Cry 2, actually there are a lot of things I like about FC2.

DSYlpWtaxD8

Edited by HyperU2

What if it would work just like the normal map? You press M, take a knee and then the map appears and the mouse focus changes to it. If you were sighted, you'd be returned to 1st person view on the primary screen.

That would only add to the realism because you don't view a map by holding it against your face in real life.

---------- Post added at 06:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:00 PM ----------

And Baff, many games support dual monitor. Off the top of my head, the X series you mentioned, X plane, MS Flight Sim, World in Conflict, Supreme Commander 1 and 2.

It's not difficult at all to render multiple view ports, games have done it since the 80's. And it can't be super hard to set up two different view ports on two monitors in DirectX.

That's more than I was aware of.

It's not available on the entire X series however, just one iteration of them. I think the first one from memory.

---------- Post added at 08:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 PM ----------

Make it SP only maybe?

The only pandering that ever needs to be done to MP players is a server side option.

I'd rather see a map like in Far Cry 2, actually there are a lot of things I like about FC2.

+1

The map is very well done in FC2. That game came so close to being a classic, if they'd just removed the endlessly respawning enemies it might have been.

Soooo I take it no one is against vehicular instrumentation being displayed on a extra screen USB or VGA or multi screens for that matter?

because that's what I'm after map being available on the MFD of the vehicles that do.

Hmmm, u could use the second Monitor also with the Weapons cam :) Onboard Cam's How about that...?

Map/Weapon's Cam/UAV Cam/ Arty Computer interface?/Sat-Cam/ ehmmm, maybe i missed some, but that would be awesome :)

Use the Second monitor for a AA Defence battery Radar, with real target bleep's on the screen!

Darn u coud use those extra monitors for cool fancy things :) hehehehe

PS: The Map and Cam feature would be freaky XD

Basically, this is what i've gotten out of this thread:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u146/Arsenic_Fox/untitled.jpg

There is a difference: Your tourists should be holding a weapon in their hands while jogging through a muddy field while looking at the map. :p

EDIT: Also, i dont get a recieving... when going out of the map: Hurray for my PC. :D

There is a difference: Your tourists should be holding a weapon in their hands while jogging through a muddy field while looking at the map. :p

Most weapons have straps to carry them and the map could only be visible on the second screen when you are standing or walking and hidden when jogging or sprinting.

You still have peripheral vision when viewing a map in real life, and would easily catch any nearby movement such as a soldier running and going prone every 5 seconds in the open for no reason.

Is it really hard to run through a forest, while looking at your map, in RL, and not bump into a tree?

:rolleyes: