Sign in to follow this  
tractorking

ARMA game league??

Is there a league for multiplayer in Arma...

What I would like to know actually....

Is there an organization and leader board for Squads (..oh my not clanss:j:)

Basically it would be cool to have a running tally when 2 squads (or more)

hold events against eachother.

Joe Schmoos squad vs The Fighting Eagles

and you know...keep track.

Just for fun.

Where and how would you organize the squads....

Or maybe this is the post that will start the whole world laughing.

Let me know if there is interest to start something.

I think a large percentage (maybe 80% or more) who match or scrim are UK and if this is US based I would be interested at some level. What type of gametypes are you interested in? My group is small (2-4 regulars) so I would have to create my own competitve member group if matching in some gametypes is preferred. Good scrims or matches is with 5-8 players per team.

Edited by Tom_Anger

I think a large percentage (maybe 80% or more) who match or scrim are UK and if this is US based I would be interested at some level. What type of gametypes are you interested in? My group is small (2-4 regulars) so I would have to create my own competitve member group if matching in some gametypes is preferred. Good scrims or matches is with 5-8 players per team.

Well I think it should be more like a gang fight in that your formal squad members but if you have mercenaries or recruits thats ok too.

I mean, Battle isnt fair and no one lines everybody up to even out the forces and then goes to battle.

SO it would be a "bring what you got" type situation.

One of the ideas that could be cool is 3 way battle...

Say you had a smaller group....you would be the independents...the guerillas and each side might have diffrent objective located in the same area.

Whoever completes the objectives first wins..

So a small insurgent force conducting a clandistine operation could still win over the bigger and stronger armys, however the tactics would have to be very stealth and try to avoid confilct.

Anyway....just throwing that out there.

What I would like to see is a central sticky post or soemthing dedicating to helping various units connect and play whether doing joint co-op or PvP

We have specialty squads that focus on flying or medic or recon so why not having a common ground to meet and orginize joint ventures...

I mean how cool is it when the AirCav guys are flying and there are dedicated convoys and medics all working together.

Cheers

The War Games League (WGL) of OFP1 fame is starting back up in January.

http://wgl.usmc-warriors.org/index.php?l=1&s=4&

uhhh...looking forward to seeing more on it

Here is an overview about ArmA (2) leagues:

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Tournaments

Updated the biki page for you, some info/links were old

Edited by PuFu

Would be nice if people actually spend some time to think about the game types/modes they are suggesting before suggesting them... And then fully explain why and how they would work.

Can you please be more precise what you mean galzohar.

"We should have a 3-sided game mode"

And how exactly do you intend to make it work?

"We should have a non-equal game mode where one team has X and another has Y"

And how exactly do you make that work?

I mean, people make a lot of suggestions without actually explaining the details that are required to make them work.

Try the AGW tournament. It's not exactly what you asked, but still a well run tourney, AAS game mode.

I checked out the website, but I could not find a lot of info on this kind of game. Probably you have to register and join an army first.

I wonder if there is a set of rules, instructions how to play, or something similar.

I checked out the website, but I could not find a lot of info on this kind of game. Probably you have to register and join an army first.

I wonder if there is a set of rules, instructions how to play, or something similar.

Yes, more information is available when you register on the AGW site. I just saw another forum post from one of the admins here.

In summary, Assault-and-Secure (AAS) game mode is a capture-the-flag style game. If you played Project Reality for BF2, then you would be familiar with the concept. In this version, the opposing teams, as organized into squads via AGW-forum recruitment, spawn in any of their controlled 'cap zones.' To maintain focused play, the cap zones are organized linearly (Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, etc), and may only be captured when the neighboring zone is in friendly control (i.e, a team cannot successfully occupy cap zone Echo if they do not hold cap zone Delta).

The cap zone names are the same for both sides, so the opposing team would only capture Echo if they held Foxtrot.

Each side can have up to 50 active players, for a 100-man server. By the end of C1 a few weeks ago, 90 players were engaged regularly during Sunday battle times. Some armor and air assets are available and used by dedicated vehicle squads. Kits will be limited to simulate real battlefield loadouts.

More detailed rules are available on the forum once you register, and they are recruiting to start the second campaign in a week or two right now!

Thanks, Ebden.

I have never played BF2, but your explanation gives me an idea of what to expect.

I am not really enthusiastic about sites which make you register before you get to know the details. Simple things like time zone and server location can make a difference.

But you were kind enough to link the post written by one of the admins. I will contact him by PM.

Again, thanks for your quick reply!

Well I think it should be more like a gang fight in that your formal squad members but if you have mercenaries or recruits thats ok too.

I mean, Battle isnt fair and no one lines everybody up to even out the forces and then goes to battle.

SO it would be a "bring what you got" type situation.

One of the ideas that could be cool is 3 way battle...

Say you had a smaller group....you would be the independents...the guerillas and each side might have diffrent objective located in the same area.

Whoever completes the objectives first wins..

So a small insurgent force conducting a clandistine operation could still win over the bigger and stronger armys, however the tactics would have to be very stealth and try to avoid confilct.

Tractor's getting a bit off-topic I think. Arma 2 may support three-way missions, or missions with three independent human factions playing at once, but it doesn't really fit the nature of a tournament unless it was a round-robin with squads rotating through different roles and playing the same thing repeatedly.

It makes for a good custom mission idea, if the game engine permits that complexity. To digress from tournaments for a moment:

Hypothetical: The mission begins with two primary factions, blufor & opfor, battling for territory control to ensure an uninterrupted power supply from Pobeda Dam to the industrial facilities in Chernogorsk. Objectives would be mirrored for both sides. To capture Pobeda Dam, Chernogorsk, and various transformer/power relay stations between. Completion objectives are capturing all and holding them for a set time. Failure will occur if more than a set # of secondary relay stations, or any of the primary stations/dam are destroyed, or a set number of civilian casualties occur.

The third faction, independents/CDK, are interested in both blufor and opfor taking their little war elsewhere, and will do what they can to prevent either side from completing the objectives. They are not interested in causing a widespread blackout either, but success or failure is not dependent on maintaining Chernarus's electrical grid. Completion objectives are the destruction of both blufor & opfor HQs, or a set # of enemy infantry or vehicle kills, or the successful capture and defense of Pobeda dam and the Chernogorsk power station. The only failure category for the independents is exceeding a set number of civilian casualties.

Interesting enough, but it'll get old after a spell. To keep it interesting, and where the game engine may fail the idea, is an alliance element. In exchange for arms (tanks, helos, etc), blufor and opfor can seek neutrality or an alliance from independents. Assorted in-game timers and scripted rules will need to be added to keep some loose control on how it works while still permitting the sort of back-handed manipulation that makes it fun. (after accepting a bribe, a no-entry radius for independents is enforced around enemy-held objectives for 10 minutes. An alliance can be broken if accepting sides shoot/kill an ally).

Figuring out some way for a third team to interact with two other primary teams could be a script made available for other mission makers.

It has nothing to do with tournaments though.

Again ("again" because this keeps happening in various threads), you're bringing up a nice "background story", but in order to actually make such a mission you need to get a lot more technical as to how and why it's actually going to work. I really don't like shooting down ideas, and really do wish I'd have more ideas for missions, but if for example I wanted to take your idea and make a mission out of it - it would not be possible because what you described is like 1% of the mission.

"We should have a 3-sided game mode"

And how exactly do you intend to make it work?

"We should have a non-equal game mode where one team has X and another has Y"

And how exactly do you make that work?

I mean, people make a lot of suggestions without actually explaining the details that are required to make them work.

Well..lets see...Opfor...Blufor...Independent

and um...no auto balance.....seems like its built in already.

Why cant you have 3 factions attempting to gain control over the same objective...or....3 faction trying to accomplish different tasks within the same AO.

It would not be that difficult, Ive done SP missions but havent taken a shot at MP missions but now maybe I will. If someone has any insight to this or has tried and failed then please speak up now.

This thread has sparked some interesting topics and soem new information for some people..

But I digress.......

Back on topic......

The Idea was to have a central thread or stomping ground for squads to be able to contact and arrange events...they dont have to be against each other all the time...say if 4 squads get together they could split into two or whatever combination.

We have alot of squads that specialize in certain abilities ie: Snipers, Recon, Armor, Aviation.

You could have joint operations if you like or just team vs team..

My thought is to still keep it light and breezy inregards to structure but if we wanted to post the results for the purpose of fun and bragging right then thats cool too.

Maybe just another category in the threads would do it, or a sticky somewhere to get the ball rolling.

It just needs a central communtications point. Right now every squad has a diffrent website and server and most stick to theyre own in co-op mode.

Just a suggestion

Edited by tractorking

Why cant you have 3 factions attempting to gain control over the same objective...or....3 faction trying to accomplish different tasks within the same AO.

That would interest me a lot. And believe me im trying to learn the editor more and more, but i am nowhere near being able to create a professional mission like this.

I think however its a very nice mission idea. We have more factions - why not use them.

Alex

Would be nice if people actually spend some time to think about the game types/modes they are suggesting before suggesting them... And then fully explain why and how they would work.

You know I was gonna refrain but......

This is how projects and things start.

You throw something out there and toss it around a little and see what comes back or comes about....if I had designed this mission as you would like me to explain in full minut detail.....I would have built it already.....and this thread would have been titled "play my three way reacharound multiplayer mission"....but its not......I think Ive just grown tired of you trying to highjack my thread on the tottally off topic issue.

So if you please.

You ve already said you wish you had more ideas for making missions.

I granted you your wish.

Myself and several others have provided you with a plethera of possible mission concepts.

Now just be gratefull, say thank you, and walk away.

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 AM ----------

That would interest me a lot. And believe me im trying to learn the editor more and more, but i am nowhere near being able to create a professional mission like this.

I think however its a very nice mission idea. We have more factions - why not use them.

Alex

I always thought the US Army vs Insurgents and toss in some Blackwater type independent contractors..

For example: The Marines are in a major fire fight against Insurgents for control of the city. Mean while, the Blackwater guys are trying to guard a convoy that has the misfortune of stumbling in between the fire fight.

The contractors main priority is security of the convoy and get them from point A to B while the other 2 are fighting over the territory.

Gonna have to work on this if I have some time.

Edited by tractorking

Kju: Will CB run certain types of missions only like 6vs6 etc or can 3 part missions be incorporated as well? I mean could it be expanded to have a section for that as well?

I think it sounds like a real fun idea. Support it fully. Tracktoring came up with an idea here. Thats how things start out normally. To come up with how the missions will work is not a problem. But it could be another PvP mission type that could become very attractive IMO.

Alex

CB is very open for new game modes. The three basic requirements are:

* A working mission (or more) - better with someone to support it (fix/improve).

* A ladder/cup admin to manage the league.

* People to promote the new league.

:)

Or if you fancy it, try www.armaleague.com at present we are in the middle of a structured league season and are not accepting any more clans, but we are in the process of creating a ladder where clans/squads/teams can join and play as and when they feel like it, We are in the middle of a CTF season but other gameplay modes will be incorporated for the next season.. The differance with us is that we are run by an Arma Team (www.sbs-clan.co.uk) we have been playing since 2000, the league itself has 22 teams involved (the majority of which have been playing since ofp) e.g OWM, DK, FAR, SBS, and many more.