Sign in to follow this  
solidsnake2384

what can i buy with 400 dollars?

The slowest Core i7 (720) is about the same as some of the fastest AMD Phenom II Quads (945) and a bit more expensive. On a budget you should stay away from Core i7s. They are fast but you pay for it.

Some Athlon II X2 or Phenom II X2-X3-X4 will be pretty nice and give you lots of room later for upgrade since it is AM3. 2GB or better 4GB of DDR3 memory.

I would suggest a 9800GT video card or even cheaper the 9600 GT (not the GS/GSO, much slower!) The 8800s have problems, the 9800s are basically the reworked 8800s so are almost the same price but better. Even a 9600GT is better than a 8800GT. The Nvidia 2XX series are better than a 9800GT but not by much and they are WAAAAY more expensive and take special power connectors moreso.

9600GT for $66

Athlon II X2 240 $60

DDR3 2GB $56

AM3 Motherboard $75

Antec Basiq PSU $45

There that's $302 which is $330 with tax and make it at least $350 with shipping. That's a decent build that should be a fine start. If you want some more performance but stay under 400 total maybe up the Athlon II to a Phenom II X3 720 for another $50. Upping the 2GB to 4GB would cost about 50 as well but I would get the CPU first and you can always add ram later with 2 more sticks. You should check if your PSU can power a new system which would save you having to buy a new one. You don't need a million watts like they want you to believe unless you have a lot of hard drives and two video cards. Processors have lowered their power needs on the average lately.

Edited by Frederf

so would that run Arma 2 on what settings?

---------- Post added at 10:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

also what you listed is all i need for Arma 2? since im starting from scratch ill need ALL new pieces. the only thing left if i were to get those would be the shell?

Here what I did to run Arma2 on all high setting except post process(disabled) and AA.

965BE OC' to 3.6

Mushkin DDR3 1066 RAM 4G's

2 Velocirator 300 10k HD in RAID0

Megashadow CPU cooler with 120x38 panflo h1 fan

120x38mm Panflo H1 exhausr fan

120 Scythe intake fan

5850 Vido card

Fan controller.

Asus Essence STX

AD 700 headset and clip on mic

Antec new 550 PSU

and Win 7.

Was about 1600 all together but this rigs rips up the game and every thing else I play. I was real lucky and had some money come my way.

I did this slowly over time too. It al started with the MB and CPU. I cut out things like eating out and going out. Stopped dating for a few mnths but after several weeks it was all together. You can also look for open box deals at newegg and things for sale a at overclock.net. Just start with something base line and work it up from there.

So far very few stuter when in heavy action. Smooth play and loving the game. Just start with a good base like posted above and work in small steps to ge tto your dream machine. It was a lotto do to get a $45 game to play right but when i am in game it is worth evey peny.

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

In my sig you cab see where I started

Here what I did to run Arma2 on all high setting except post process(disabled) and AA.

965BE OC' to 3.6

Mushkin DDR3 1066 RAM 4G's

2 Velocirator 300 10k HD in RAID0

Megashadow CPU cooler with 120x38 panflo h1 fan

120x38mm Panflo H1 exhausr fan

120 Scythe intake fan

5850 Vido card

Fan controller.

Asus Essence STX

AD 700 headset and clip on mic

Antec new 550 PSU

and Win 7.

Was about 1600 all together but this rigs rips up the game and every thing else I play. I was real lucky and had some money come my way.

I did this slowly over time too. It al started with the MB and CPU. I cut out things like eating out and going out. Stopped dating for a few mnths but after several weeks it was all together. You can also look for open box deals at newegg and things for sale a at overclock.net. Just start with something base line and work it up from there.

So far very few stuter when in heavy action. Smooth play and loving the game. Just start with a good base like posted above and work in small steps to ge tto your dream machine. It was a lotto do to get a $45 game to play right but when i am in game it is worth evey peny.

---------- Post added at 01:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 AM ----------

In my sig you cab see where I started

WHy you're suggesting something 4x the price he wants to pay is beyond me...

Barebones

AMD based Barebones Sort these by price.

Frederf suggestion is also very good. Save that I'd suck it up and get a PHENOM series CPU. The suggested PC should be able to run ARMA2 on low-normal settings with passable Framerate. Most important in making sure you've got a decent motherboard will let you continue to upgrade for the years to come.

So while it is possible to get a good PC for sub-400 dollars. If you can wait, or perhaps pick up some stray work/tasks around the house. You'll get a lot more for your money.

-k

I would say save up definetaly. Imo you dont really need a quadcore to play Arma2 nicely (depends also on other things but a very fast - read overclocked - dualcore cpu is going to be much better bang for the buck)

I upgraded quite a lot for Arma2 and ended witch what you can see in my sig. The only things i wouldnt save on are MotherBoard and CPU Cooler if your gonna overclock.

Otherwise I would definetaly get AMD cpu just for being really cheap, the 8800 nvidia cards are sold really really cheaply on ebay these days and they can handle the game nicely until about 1680x1050 resolution. If you want to save i would buy a Case + PSU bundle around 550W thats enough for 1CPU+1GPU+2Drives generally.

But as I said in the beginning, you better save some more and find yourself some1 good in PC assembly, who can help you, because you save up much that way and you are sure to get quality components unlike some prebuilt pice of brown stuff