Sign in to follow this  
oldbear

Sbrodj, a Warfare/CTI dedicated map

Cool island - too heavy grass on LOW setting (for me).

I can play Chernarus with grass on LOW with great FPS, but most new islands made the clutter on LOW is very high and leaves me with very low performance. Turn the grass off and i have superb performance, turn it to LOW and un-playable.

I guess clutter cannot be controlled by the island creator. Wich is sad cause i dont want grass to be lowered for people with pc's that can handle it. I just skip this island til i get a better comp. :)

Alex

Very strange, I've more than decent FPS on this island, far far better than Chernarus, it's like I'm on Utes, and this whil activating grass, ofc, + shadows, that I usually disable on Cherna for performance reasons

Spec : C2D E6400 @ 2.1GHz, 2G RAM, nVidia 8800GT 512M, WinXP 32.

The problem with grass is due of my bad bear temper ...

My project being to build a mad dedicated to CTI and playable on a "normal" gamer PC, not the average but not a super extra rig I had build the map only with low clutters.

Floosy, my Clan ADO team mate and master in map building, while testing my map on an early release have said "Old, you must put some more high grass on your map, it looks like a mown golf terrain" ... and I though, so you want high grass, you will get it !

A bit childish I must confess, but what is a 60 years old guy spending is night making map ?

I like the high dry grass in the coastal area, but I need to shortened it in villages and towns.

The general overhaul of the map with a lot of tweaking , to do :

* _Sat enhanced,

* Mid.mco texture updated,

* Road net cut in shorter sections and "smoothed",

* Buildings, walls and side-walks moved to better position,

* Unwelcome trees and bushes cut from road and path.

... will be done after completion of the [too many ?] projects I am working on.

benny's 2.046 and 47 have been ported to sbrodj and can be found here http://urclan.org/ . navigate to the downloads area. 2.046 has been extensively tested and should be error free. 2.047 has not been tested but the mission is the same except for the "under the hood" stuff from Benny so I may have made errors updating but initial testing has not revealed any. overview:

- 27 capture points and 2 "areas of interest"

- the large towns with ports have capture point at town and the port area.

- beware of possible aa at airport corner fortifications

- intel indicates that the resistance may have stashed substantial amounts of war materials at camps "november" and "sierra".

note that loading a saved game of benny's (sbrodj or not) can result in camps no longer being capturable prior to town capture. just the way it is I'm afraid.

Hope you enjoy it! thanks Benny and Old Bear

super island :D

ideal for WW2-CW missions :D

super :)

looking like "old Europe" :D

Thanks Vilas, nice you enjoy it !

@Gutm@sher : glad to hear that but I can't find the DL link on the URC web site.

i wonder how will look on this island mission with:

wolfs

evening

some units shapes in hoods (like middle-ages monks)

it would be scary :D

somekind of such thing :D

and a lot of wolfs in forest near castle :)

Thanks Vilas, nice you enjoy it !

@Gutm@sher : glad to hear that but I can't find the DL link on the URC web site.

http://urclan.org/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item37

that should do it. at the home page, in the navigation pane on the left, last item is downloads. It is running on the URC UK server atm. one issue/observation:

- the fences around the main airports are too good! depending on the direction the infantry ai squads approach them, they can get stopped at the fence. not a problem if a human is on the side or ai vehicle squads to punch a few holes in the chain-link. minor complaint, but thats all I have. thanks.

Hi Old Bear,

Ive updated the Sbrodj Benny's WF port to 2.048 and made additional changes. Am making sure there are no errors on my part before posting a d/l link but it is currently available via Urban Resistance 32 man server (Sbrodj Warfare BEv2048) and U.K. 16 man server. Sbrodj WF mission changes for Benny's 2.048 overview:

- removed castle sbrodj as capture point and 2 of the aa guns (all aa has not been removed). the closeness of the sbrodj capture points (north, south and castle) interfered with proper camp respawn in some cases.

- added the following capture points (33 total) - camps echo and whiskey (small military bases in foot hills), added 2 defense capture points which serve as outer defenses at each of the 2 main airports. this serves to 1. make them tougher to capture (especially with occupation) and 2. further concentrates power at the corners of the map. the main airports are quite the prize now as they should be. btw, great job with the airports. ai pilots have no problems getting up, landing and lining back up for takeoff if you orient air fac correctly. was flying with a squad of 8 harriers in formation during a game last night. c130 ai pilots still crash after 1st turn post takeoff, but thats an arma2 thing.

- all mission placed defense squads that do not have spawn function have been removed. I may add more back later.

- modified some start points

- camps november and sierra are still not capture points but contain stashes of old t-34 tanks, ammo caches and civilian transport choppers. you will find these very useful when playing with low start funds/supply. getting to one and building defenses around it is a good idea in this case as it also gives you proximity to ridgeline overlooking main valley. t-34 can be rearmed at town centers.

all parameters, etc have not been modded from benny's baseline. Just easier to keep up that way!

As always, thanks to Benny for an awesome mission and Old Bear for a great warfare friendly map.

Edited by Gutm@sher

Hi Old Bear,

Ive updated the Sbrodj Benny's WF port to 2.048 and made additional changes. Am making sure there are no errors on my part before posting a d/l link but it is currently available via Urban Resistance 32 man server (Sbrodj Warfare BEv2048) and U.K. 16 man server. Sbrodj WF mission changes for Benny's 2.048 overview:

- removed castle sbrodj as capture point and 2 of the aa guns (all aa has not been removed). the closeness of the sbrodj capture points (north, south and castle) interfered with proper camp respawn in some cases.

- added the following capture points (33 total) - camps echo and whiskey (small military bases in foot hills), added 2 defense capture points which serve as outer defenses at each of the 2 main airports. this serves to 1. make them tougher to capture (especially with occupation) and 2. further concentrates power at the corners of the map. the main airports are quite the prize now as they should be. btw, great job with the airports. ai pilots have no problems getting up, landing and lining back up for takeoff if you orient air fac correctly. was flying with a squad of 8 harriers in formation during a game last night. c130 ai pilots still crash after 1st turn post takeoff, but thats an arma2 thing.

- all mission placed defense squads that do not have spawn function have been removed. I may add more back later.

- modified some start points

- camps november and sierra are still not capture points but contain stashes of old t-34 tanks, ammo caches and civilian transport choppers. you will find these very useful when playing with low start funds/supply. getting to one and building defenses around it is a good idea in this case as it also gives you proximity to ridgeline overlooking main valley. t-34 can be rearmed at town centers.

all parameters, etc have not been modded from benny's baseline. Just easier to keep up that way!

As always, thanks to Benny for an awesome mission and Old Bear for a great warfare friendly map.

updated mission available from URC dowload site http://urclan.org/index.php?action=tpmod;dl=item39 scroll to bottom of screen.

HI,

Ive been really enjoying playing this as SP/ Lan , im getting an issue though , when I die I go back to spawn and the counter says 30secs, but it seems to count down really slowly - every second takes approx 5 secs.

Is this a bug?, or just my Pc do u think?

I can play benny's hosting from my pc for a few hours, but eventually it will catch up to you with severe slow downs and eventual crash. does run much better on sbrodj compared to cherno, at least for me. it really should be played on a server for best results, stability and hours of play. benny warfare thread discusses this at some point (but its a large thread). not to insult your intelligence but make make sure the mission is in your mp missions folder and you start it up via multiplayer not sp even if you are playing by yourself.

I posted on the Warfare BE topic already and thought to post here also. During warfare I noticed that the AI get caught up at the airport fences in the north (i counted around 30, had to mow down the fence with a vehicle). Is there any way adding something to the map which might assist ai?

As for warfare, really liking especially on this map :)

Originally Posted by mazza

WIth the sbrodj island i notice AI get caught up at airport fences. Using Arma Beta 60393 and Warfare BE V2_047. I'm thinking this is probably a Arma 2 issue more so than Warfare?

BTW love the mission

does happen sometimes. there are holes in the chain link (put by map maker) but not all infantry seem to find them. Ive moved some start points from the original sbrodj port which helped but it can still happen. try the 2.048 version. obviously not an issue if humans are around or ai squads have vehicles to run the fence over. btw, did some experimenting with objects to help infantry get over the fence. dirt piles are hit or miss but there is a training object called "climb over" or something like that which ai infantry seem to love. they climb over the fence on top of narrow monkey bars, who knew! may impliment these when updating the port to 2.049.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=8372

Sbrodj (by Old Bear) port of benny's wf 2.048 is now available on armaholic. thanks big.

Edited by Gutm@sher

There is something wrong about fences.

I have added enlarged holes in the fences for 1.3 publicly released version after seeing that the AI were getting stuck in the fence during tests. But it looks like the hole are not large enough or that the AI is having problems in dealing with fences.

I will try a fence/wall closure like on Chernarus main base on next release.

@Gutm@sher : Thanks for the port of Benny BE warfare on Sbrodj. I must say I have learn many things about CTI while playing BE Warefares on XR Server with the HotShot Team guys.

Don't forget to add that Sbrodj is a Clan ADO map.

@All : Sbrodj BE Warefare 2.048 added to Armed Assault.info mirrors :

Sbrodj BE Warefare 2.048

hi Old Bear,

Will add clan ADO to description on next next update (think it says Old Bear now cant remember). Just an oversight on my part. Personally, I like the concrete walls within the main airports as is, lots of hidey-holes. Do you have an anticipated release timeframe for 1.3? I will scrap plans for the obstacles Ive placed for the chain link fence issue for next BE warfare port update if its coming soonish. It works but not a good solution.

Observation - There seems to be a connection with the ai's objective and the distance between holes not nec. size of the holes. Ai will use existing holes if fairly close but they could be maybe 1 section larger. If there isnt a hole in the fence fairly close to them (under 50 meters?) they dont know what to do because they like to go in straight lines as much as possible to their objectives. They also seem to not like the holes with the large rocks in front of them. Thanks for your awesome work!

Gutm@sher : I am testing various solutions, but even with enlaged holes, the AI are having problems with fences, with or without big rocks behind. The hole must be real big to be easily detect by the AI and it has no problems with walls, weird !

Working on it.

I must find a balance between playability and map character.

@Darkhorse : no Domination yet !

Old Bear,

not a mapmaker so dont know hard this would be or how long it would take - what if the chain link is replaced by a berm? raised ground that can be walked / drove over (evan by ai) but still provides a defensible line at perimeter of the airport where chain link is now. could be flat or broad rounded @ the top so warfare players can make defense pods and walls, etc on top of it from the repair trucks. another thought i had was to just add a few of the fort deals along the perimeter like you have at the corners replacing chain link. again, i could be talking out of my butt because i'm ignorant of what it takes to make a map and still have good performance.

They already have a kinda berm object in ArmA 2. It's dirt and kinda grassy with a wooden wall. Kinda like ---> |\ <--- but the slope is not as steep.

This object is already on the map, have a look South of Brk base, on the armour training grounds.

I don't like the idea of a wall build of those objects, they are more for close quarter defence purpose, and a tremendous amount of those ramparts must be placed due to the shape of the object in order to get some defence line.

I do prefer the walls/fences combination seen around Chernarus main airfield.

I will try to build something on an intermediate version [not the big 1.4 update I have already speak about] with more cover around main bases/airports and such "town" as Kombinat and Brk.

There is an area south of the Brk airfield that is sort of what I was referring to (not the fortifications mentioned above, south west of them i think). Its raised ground on 3 sides like you may see around an ordinance bunker irl. Again, dont know the work involved in such a thing. I'll be updating the BE mission for your island shortly as it looks like 2.049 is inbound and will be testing some changes.

I am currently working on some modifications for Brk area, the "town" and the base as well :

- Adding building to Brk "town"

- Adding stones, rocks, bushes around town and base

- Adding walls and modifying the fences around base [along Chernarus large airfield model]

Many modifications already done around Severnsk, Zuud, Suppr town and base, Kombinat and also in the Sbrodj valley in order to provide a better cover for units movements.

- Adding stones, rocks, bushes.

I will try not to add too much objects in order not to change map character and playability.

Large issue I've spotted

Huge artifacts appear after playing for a few minutes... quite a few of my friends have spotted it now.