Sign in to follow this  
rocket

USEC Aoraki/Mount Cook (New Zealand) Island

Welcome back Rocket! I've missed your work and truly amazing WIP stuff you've shown us here ;) keep rockin' up there in that shithole :)

Awesome to get a PM from you I about fell out of my chair Rocket!

Looking forward to that updated CH53 as well big guy! Hang in there sounds like it could only get better! :)

Rocket said:
Correct :) Until I had the (mis?)fortune to be selected for an exchange program to Singapore halfway through.

So I'm still here, seeing how a conscript army trains officers. I've been stung by a swarm of bees, bitten by a centipede, stung by a scorpion, starved for 9 days then constipated for 10, followed by shitting my insides out... surgery... recovery.... and all the madness won't be finished until April 2011 when I finally fucking graduate.

If I'd heard that you were going over there I'd have told you firmly that you were screwed.

I actualy redid the heightmap from the original, using higher precision data. But anything beyond 20km^2, the scale is just too big to be really playable. At the current resolution (10m for the heightmap, 1m for the satmap), I feel is about right. As said above, the alpha version will be a snow/rock/ice terrain version (aka winter), with no objects placed. When I get back to New Zealand, then I will finish off the "true to life" version, fixing any errors identified from the Alpha

Man, how did you stitch up such a big sat_lco? I'm loosing my nerves with anything over 10240x10240 ;)

Man, how did you stitch up such a big sat_lco? I'm loosing my nerves with anything over 10240x10240 ;)

I managed much bigger with my Waiouru map. With Aoraki, I made my own climates in L3DT, and then I used vegetation polygon data exported from Global Mapper that I got from Land Information NZ (govt dept). I imposed that on the attributes map, which gave me a base to generate a satmap for. The result isnt finished, and my little sister currently has my big grunty desktop in NZ - so I'm using my alienware laptop to do it (stands up to the job quite well actually).

The files are all ready to go, they work in OA stand alone so I hope they work in ArmA2 standalone too. I dont have my copy of ArmA2 with me, and its sold out here in SG.

I just found out from the MO, at LEAST another week of rest. My ass-period continues... which means I may be able to push out quite a few things over the next week or so.

Well, i don't want these (My ass-period continues...) things lol, but maybe a newer CH53 will convince me ;)

Edited by Mr. Charles

Well, i don't these things lol, but maybe a newer CH53 will convince me ;)

Ugh that whole debarkle. Got a refund on the source models in the end. But to keep this OT. To confirm, there will be no CH53 in this mod. In fact, I'm not sure a CH53 has ever even BEEN to NZ.

Also, I would like to STRESS the version I am releasing, is a "ice age" version. There are no rivers, and everything is snow, rock, or ice. This is for simplicity. It also makes for wonderful framerates.

Sry, but the model was just 1A (as we say in germany:D) Really nice to see another winter map than Namalsk and Thirsk, hope your time flies by for your graduation :yay:.

Welcome back Rocket!

Something I've been wondering, the person who came on here releasing your source files, did you authorize that?

Welcome back Rocket!

Something I've been wondering, the person who came on here releasing your source files, did you authorize that?

In terms of ArmA2 addon development, I believe releasing all source files is a great way to move the hobby forward. So for all my projects I release the source files. For some, its not practical to host them somewhere due to the filesize. I have had alot of PMs, asking for permissions. They have all been approved.

I have had alot of PMs, asking for permissions. They have all been approved.

It was your sister or your girlfriend releasing your work, claiming you asked her to do it.

It was your sister or your girlfriend releasing your work, claiming you asked her to do it.

I asked my sister if she could post some files online, the source and the current state (very early alpha's) of a number of projects. Unfortunately, my website went down as I had not continued the hosting at dhd.co.nz, as I was no longer contracting. So I don't believe they can be accessed through there any longer.

But yes, permission was granted to release WIP versions of my early projects.

So you live in Waiouru?

No, I was posted there. Then I was posted to Singapore, where I am currently.

After a painstaking effort to reconcile a bunch of LINZ orthophotos, sat data, and my generated masks I now have "real" representation of the terrain. The heightmap data has been greately improved.

I still have some serious problems, mainly with shadow artifacts. Aerial and sat photography is such that at this lattitude, with this altitude, you cannot get a time of day when there is no shadow. So the shadow is baked into the satmap unfortunately. Also, because of the data there is some cloud cover still in. I am slowly painting this out though.

I have still opted to reduce the scale to 1:3, and I think this plays quite nicely. The 1:1 was just too big. On 10k view distance the 1:3 scale looks great. Satmap resolution is 1m, heightmap is 7m. Overall size of the map (in game) is 24km, in real life the area is about 70km.

aoraki_110812_1.jpg

aoraki_110812_3.jpg

aoraki_110812_2.jpg

aoraki_110812_4.jpg

Wow, wow, your first map was breathtaking and I thought arma can't look any more beatifull, but this is just amazing, interactive nat geo :D

The 2 maps will be perfet for Take On :O