Protegimus

Zeus AI Combat Skills

I also agree with Galozar.

There needs to be a way a mission maker can set limits on the reinforcements range. As much as I love this mod I have had to stop using it because it breaks so many missions.

Most of my missions are for 6-10 players. I set them up with reinforcements already preplaced. With zeus running I end up with all units coming to the first fight . Which is then impossible and if you survive, there is nothing left to fight.

I know I can go in and set "this setVariable ["zeu_AIBypass", true];" for my missions, but I also download missions that may not be setup with zues reinforcement in mind.

I am also curious, if I put "this setVariable ["zeu_AIBypass", true];"in the init of a unit does it bypass all of the zeus enhancements or just keep it from reinforcing?

I really do think this is one of the best mods for AI. Maybe you could put a file in the userconfig and just be able to choose reinforcement or no reinforcement.

Nomadd

I think it will be a great idea to externalize some settings to userconfig like other mods do so people will change values (like that reinforcement distance or if vehicles should also take cover) to their liking.

GLx is entirely optional, isn't it?

Zeus AI is modular, you can remove whatever modules you want - the remaining ones will work just fine (sysAI requires FindCover though).

Zeus AI Mirror, update from 28/12/2010

http://www.mediafire.com/?zbvwgfccru3ifn0

Edited by metalcraze

If we put re-inforcement range it in a config, it will be one size fits all - which is no different to where we are now really.

If it's taken from the mission, be that by .sqf or a game logic it will be mission specific; albeit useless to missions created without it, when it will default to what I set.

As it stands, if AI have an active waypoint sequence they are not eligible to be called as re-inforcement.

I will code some sort of "stay static" option, as I appreciate mission makers want some units to stay exactly where they expect - I'm considering the best way to implement it.

zeu_AIBypass wasn't working the way it was intended so it was removed.

metalcraze: wrt to the AI spotting armoured vehicles, etc. it's not a bug, it was a conscious design decision to make the AI recognise armour/air and vehicle contacts more readily - is that ok, because they were really shit at it before?

I (once again) tested your suggestion regarding AI breaking "hold fire" order, but I can't see a difference in my test scenario and as "doFire" was borked until the latest patch I think that if there is any influence from Zeus it lies with the caller, not the zeu_fireAtEnemy function. I'll do some more testing in the next few days.

Before you play the 'realism' card, do the tanks you are referring to have thermal/NV?

Please keep the feedback succint guys...I only need to read something once and while it may be frustrating for some of you that the mod takes an unwelcome path in its development, it will be refined over time.

Protegimus

As it stands, if AI have an active waypoint sequence they are not eligible to be called as re-inforcement.

That's really helpful, do hold / guard waypoints count toward this? If so, all my missions are already compatible anyway. :D

I think it will be a great idea to externalize some settings to userconfig like other mods do so people will change values (like that reinforcement distance or if vehicles should also take cover) to their liking.

Zeus AI is modular, you can remove whatever modules you want - the remaining ones will work just fine (sysAI requires FindCover though).

Zeus AI Mirror, update from 28/12/2010

http://www.mediafire.com/?zbvwgfccru3ifn0

Thanks for the link mate.

Just got Zeus ai. I like it better than vanilla ai but the enemy seems much to timid in small firefights. They run away instead of trying to suppress me. For example- An enemy will see me will go prone and aim at me. If I then shoot at him he will get up and move 10 metres or so. He then goes prone again starts to aim at me and starts the cycle all over again. Is this behavior normal and is there anyway to make the ai not be so timid and fire at me more?

Even with the new update I still find that units in my team still fire even tho given the order to hold fire.

Its not so much my team but rather the enemy that seem to be running all over and not returning much fire. They seem to alway want to move instead of settling into some cover (or just going prone in the open) and start to shoot. But then again I don't know much about the editor yet, and I am probably not giving the teams the right types of waypoints and what not.

Like your update a lot.

Played several missions last night and those missions where a lot more intens.

The f**** AI used artillery on us...hate them for that! :D

Well, well, AI engaging under "Hold Fire" order i.e. ROE violation when enemy near...

The biki states units ordered to hold fire are set to combatMode "GREEN" (Hold fire - defend only) - as of build 1.57.76934 this is not the case, they are in combatMode "YELLOW" (Fire at will).

ref.: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_AI_Combat_Modes#Engagement_rules

Can someone test and confirm AI hold fire finally matches default ArmA 2 performance. The file you want is:

zeu_AI_v0.02d.7z

NoBrainer: the only reason the files weren't versioned as well was because if you followed the thread this was meant to be a casual test release.

I've tested with a specific scenario and my AI both hold fire and cease fire on order.

Protegimus

New to Arma for the past month, and have been trying to get my head around it all.

I have been using GL4 and Zeus together (and in that order in the command-line) and been really enjoying the challenge they provide, but as of yet have not done any tinkering to try and get the best out of them working together, and I am also not sure what over-rides what between the two when they are in that order in the command-line.

I have just read the entire GL4 thread, and I am wondering if this still applies for using Zeus for OA and GL4 together

A note for everyone that wants to enjoy GL4 together with the combat skills of Zeus AI, edit the

...\@GL4\GL4_Settings\GL4_Global.sqf

file and set:

Code:

// GL4 Enemy A.I. Difficult:

// ================================================== ====

GL4_Global set [29, False];

When set this way, AI perform to much more realistic levels, they do not hesitate when engaging at close quarters, plus use a better mix of weaponry when doing so and the benefits of GL4 make missions even more challenging.

If I don't do this, is Zeus affected in some way so that I don't get the benefit of all it has to offer?

Without having done this currently, the AI is still seems really challenging, but would I get even more benefit from making this alteration to GL4?

Thanks.

metalcraze: wrt to the AI spotting armoured vehicles, etc. it's not a bug, it was a conscious design decision to make the AI recognise armour/air and vehicle contacts more readily - is that ok, because they were really shit at it before?

The point was that AI manages to see enemy vehicles while the radar doesn't even "know" they are enemy. Meaning AI is now at the opposite extreme of being shit. I think it needs to be balanced more. I've checked the config at it looks like you have 0.85 at the lowest skill setting and 1 at the highest for spotDistance - shouldn't it give the AI even with the worst skill setting eagle eyes?

Before you play the 'realism' card, do the tanks you are referring to have thermal/NV?

In Death From Above they are T-55s so no thermal sights at least. Besides they perfectly see a not all that loud and quite small Little Bird 1km away which they shouldn't be able to do considering they are in safe mode by default e.g. not looking for targets.

I've played with those config settings a bit and managed to bring them to a more "adequate" level while not making crews blind but I need to test them more. What I recommend you to do is make a skill spread higher, not 0.85 as the minimum setting for the zero skill which is way too high IMO.

There's another possible issue with Apaches (and probably other assault choppers too). Now I need to test this more but with Zeus Apaches seem to fly too slow when in combat, making them easy targets even for tanks when they are out of Hellfires. When I remove Zeus from the startup line they tend to be faster, managing to survive and seem to manoeuver more. I think the problem lies in either sysAi or FindCover.

To easily test this put one tank and an apache some 1.5kms away flying towards it with Hellfires removed (so they won't blow the tank up right away) and compare.

Can someone test and confirm AI hold fire finally matches default ArmA 2 performance. The file you want is:

zeu_AI_v0.02d.7z

Nope. The issue is only partially fixed (MG breaks hold fire from a closer distance now).

I think I understand why you can't experience it in that test SQM I gave you. When you test it who reports the enemy contact - you or MG gunner?

Because if MG gunner detects him first 'hold fire' will work. If you will detect him first than the issue will be there.

When I comment out that doFire line from FireAtEnemy everything works fine. When I order my AIs to hold fire - they will hold fire no matter what - won't break the order even 30m away from the enemy. At the same time I've never seen an issue with somebody not firing at an enemy during all these days since I commented out that line when not under hold fire orders. I've played both 300m+ engagement missions and CQB missions. They work fine (with bot 0.02b and 0.02c at least)

Edited by metalcraze

Any chance you could put in a code or param to call for defensive positions? I know there is the disable param but I would like to see what you guys could do with a editor called defensive stance for the AI ie look for cover or occupy buildings/static weapons maybe set up ambushes in the area. I love the enhancements you guys have already made and think this would help alot of us mission makers.

Nope. The issue is only partially fixed (MG breaks hold fire from a closer distance now).

ok, thanks for testing. Version:

zeu_AI_v0.02d1.7z

passes your test mission (at least for me) and mine, irrespective of who calls the enemy.

For aircraft recognition, please test without:

zeu_OA_c_ai_recognition.pbo

btw, you can simply ask questions in a reasonable manner and I'll try to point you in the right direction.

Protegimus

Hi Protegimus!

First thank you for your outstanding mod. It makes Arma2 much better!

Ive testet your new version yesterday in Warfare BE. Watched the AI flying in particular. The Ah64 is finally using his whole armament, thanks for that. But there still seem to be an issue when it comes to landing. The AI is now much more willing to land on open spaces and not looking for a good spot 1 km away but there is still some problems. Ive commanded a UH60M to land on an open spot in a valley, there was litterally no object in 100m radius. The Blackhawk was even autohovering over a promising spot, so i told the pilot to disembark. The helo began to land but when he was like 2 -3 m above the -empty- ground , it autohovered to the next tree 150m away and crashed my whole delta force team in it :P I know this must be one of the most difficult features to code and im seeing lots of progress on that in the last versions. Anyway keep up the good work man, its really appreciated.

ok, thanks for testing. Version:

zeu_AI_v0.02d1.7z

passes your test mission (at least for me) and mine, irrespective of who calls the enemy.

Confirmed. Passes my test mission here as well the same as in vanilla. Got within 30m, MG was still holding fire. Opens fire the moment I order him too.

I noticed another thing but I need to check it in vanilla as well. When we are close to the enemy (20-30m) and the enemy notices us - when I order MG to open fire he hesitates. He fires just well when the enemy is not spooked. This takes an effort to reproduce though.

I think it can be because of such close distance and enemy moving - MG can't aim fast enough at him I believe.

For aircraft recognition, please test without:

zeu_OA_c_ai_recognition.pbo

Yeah I did. I'm reporting about 'core skills' only without 'recognition'.

Edit

I find another Zeus AI related issue.

Fire up End of the World mission from EW Campaign and see the camera running for cover in panic as soon as it spots *spoiler*, being afraid to even look at it from behind trees until it deems it's safe enough to. A pretty funny glitch. But who knows what else it may affect in a bad way.

And it's related to 'core skills' and 'recognition' as well because when I remove them the cutscene plays as intended.

Edited by metalcraze

Confirmed. Passes my test mission here as well the same as in vanilla. Got within 30m, MG was still holding fire. Opens fire the moment I order him too.

Good, we'll count that one as closed then.

I noticed another thing but I need to check it in vanilla as well. When we are close to the enemy (20-30m) and the enemy notices us - when I order MG to open fire he hesitates. He fires just well when the enemy is not spooked. This takes an effort to reproduce though.

I wouldn't bother, line 23 of the readme:

- Changes the speed at which an AI can get a bead on a target

No one that enjoys doing infantry stuff likes playing against aimbot AI.

metalcraze, the speculation is getting a little out of hand.

From the description you gave in Death From Above, do you think the two AA units you were detected by and which fired missiles on your LB may have had an influence? AA units can realistically operate at night.

If you want to play carefully scripted campaign missions designed for ArmA 2, remove Zeus AI; or accept that it changes stuff.

What I'm interested in with regard to AI observation at the minute is whether it is possible to improve the AI vision at night (without NV and before contact is initiated).

This has always been very closely linked to AI hearing ability and the recent patches do appear to have changed this ability again (AI seems less sensitive).

Solus also mentioned that during his testing he obtained different values than I for spotTime[]= which affected this, so I will revisit that.

spotDistance[] = values, no I've always been satisfied that the low skill level was essential to improving the AI spotting...tested in broad daylight on a flat runway.

By all means test spotting related stuff and report data from your observations, different values for cfgAISkill and such. The source information is deliberately included in the .pbo, for you or anyone else that's interested in contributing - there's nothing to say it can't be improved upon and just as with AI "Hold fire", I'm not too proud to revisit it and sort it out if I can.

Protegimus

Is it normal for enemy rifle men not to fire much while using Zeus ai? I am playing combined ops with only zeu_AI and CBA. The enemy ai armed with assault rifles rarely if ever fire a lot of shots at me. Automatic rifle men fire a fair bit but the rifle men just run around go prone get up and run around some more. They don't often fire at me. I even set up a 1 on 1- me against a rifleman on the airfield in utes. I was able to run and zig zag from one end of the runway all the way to the other end and touch him before he finally shot me. He fired between 5 and 10 shots the whole time.

I doubt that this is the way that the mod is supposed to run but I can't find out what I am doing wrong. I've reinstalled Zeus several times but still get the same results. Has anyone else had this problem before? Is there something I can do to fix it?

Version 0.02c is available for download from the TS3 server:

teamspeak.zeus-community.net:9987

Channel: Support & File Repository

for graphical instructions, go here thanks Rabbit!

Version numbers and fixes are in the readme Changelog section (also reproduced below), together with instructions, including instructions on what to do for ACE.

Fixes/improvements:

- version 0.02c (27.12.2010): Changed: re-inforcement ranges for each

faction are reduced to prevent all enemy forces being sucked in to the

first contact:

East: 2000m

West: 2500m

Resistance: 1400m

others: 1000m

Improved: AI will now only use small boats for transport, not ships

Improved: Rating for helicopters is now more granular, attack helicopters are

treated differently to transport choppers

Improved: information sharing is less efficient between AI groups, variation

added for how long it can take and how likely it is to succeed

Fixed: helicopters that are transporting troops will no longer attack enemy

Fixed: zeu_OA_c_ai_rof.pbo - attack helicopters not engaging targets

Fixed: zeu_OA_c_RocketBallistics.pbo - AH-64D not firing FFAR (FFAR

initSpeed must be 0.05 or greater)

From that we also kill one from the known issues list:

10.12.2010 UGLY58: Helicopter crews engage ground targets irrespective of

what type of helicopter they are in, ref.

BIS help us again with patch 1.57:

[76747] Fixed: doFire did not work on most targets

CQB should see an improvement due to this and it should be obvious on the Utes airport test (maturin).

metalcraze: very timely information regarding the FFAR's, you must have realised I was looking at the helicopter stuff, so thanks for that.

While it was

testing this one thing seems clear -

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAWVK4ofPQo&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LAWVK4ofPQo&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

default AI don't select ordnance according to the type of target they are attacking...one more for the wish list.

Protegimus

Holy crap!!! what sound pack is this o.O

I've unpacked Death From Above mission and checked it out.

Tank crews do have NVGs and ULB is easily seen with them so that's fine.

Their skill levels are also set to ~0.8 so they are supposed to be good with Zeus.

However crews manning anti-air cannons have no NVGs (their skill level is as high though). They can't see Apache. However as soon as Apache fires a missile they can easily get a lock on the chopper and launch their missiles in response. I as an Apache pilot can't get a lock on them even if they are firing no matter what I do. Now here comes the interesting part. As soon as I team-switched to a takistani manning AA gun I could see Apache starting to engage me and a neighbouring AA gun with hellfires and M230 - something I can't force my gunner to do while I'm a pilot (note that while I'm a pilot AAs are reported as enemies by the gunner but radar shows them as unknowns so I can't get a lock on them).

What can be an issue here?

Now that we are talking about choppers it seems that the issue with choppers not landing after they ever were engaging or engaged by an enemy is still there

Finally back from holiday, Zeus packs updated for Vanilla and ACE users :)

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/anm-missions/files

Btw, SLX and Zeus AI do not work together. It crashes the game pretty fast into action, I have tested your project and its been very good. But I have come to the conclusion that SLX and Zeus AI are conflicting with each other. If you could fix this issue, or help me trouble shoot the problem I would be very honored to attribute to the success of your mod :D

Edited by DeclaredEvol