Protegimus

Zeus AI Combat Skills

Newbie question, the skill parameters are what you change using the difficulty in Game Options, right? And those should be set to 9.8?

So where are the precision parameters? They're not in my Documents>Arma2 config file.

"yes, you need to be patient on this as I am still planning/developing the mod. As posted above leadership and combat strategy is to come."

:bounce3::bounce3::bounce3:

yeeeesssss

could you specify what features will come for combat strategy ?

is this related to BIS AI danger mode behaviour or my work
i think is related by findcover.pbo(based on slx_findcover.pbo?) see this behaviour sometimes in crcti proman they use slx_findcover too.

Hi. i asked solus a question on the slx mod page and he referred me to this mod.

does this Zeus AI currently give AI fireteams a better reaction to incoming fire? you know, gtfo of there, find nearest correct cover, stay behind cover while returning fire as a team? This as a basic battle drill before all the other more advanced tactical drill?

a non-trivial task for sure but something the AI lack sorely as right now knocking out a team is often as easy as shooting one, then pop the other buggers who go prone and crawl around or run around seemingly aimlessly in circles.

OA realistic weapon dispersion:

zeu_OA_c_wep_dispersion.pbo

M16A2 and derivatives no sound error is fixed. Latest version is available from the Yoma repository.

maturin: Your player profile is under the following location for WinXP:

"...My Documents\Arma (or Arma Other Profiles)\"

Please refer to the readme for the correct values to enter.

twisted: yes, this gives AI a better reaction to incoming fire and other events. It also enhances CQB ability.

They no longer stand still like statues/ or simply drop to the prone position.

It's not perfect by any means, but hopefully a good step in the right direction.

Protegimus

Which, what & who's ?

The Zeus server repository, which is one of the default servers listed on the yoma tool.

More information on how to install/use this tool can be found in the zeus community manual linked to in my sig file.

This repository has been made specifically for the zeus community to play on the Zeus server and contains a selection of addons which also includes the latest development version of Zeus AI.

This development version which is often updated twice weekly may contain bugs. It is not officialy available for public consumption, but Protegimus has ok'd it for those who want the latest W.I.P version.

I tend to update the repository on Sundays and Thursdays, all you need to do is sync with it to find out if there has been any changes

Edited by Terox

Thanks for the info, without that post I would have been clueless :)

I have Yoma cranked so I now have the links thanks.

It is not officially available for public consumption, but Protegimus has ok'd it for those who want the latest W.I.P version.

Is this the reason repro isn't in the first post?

Edited by mrcash2009

Does Zeus decrease your teammates AI ability? (shoot accuracy levels?). Since installing, I do like how the enemy reacts more...... However, I think I've seen a quite negative impact on friendly AI accuracy levels? Also, it seems elevation above or below friendly AI cause all sorts of accuracy issues.

Edited by meade95

Hi Zeus people, I have a question about this quote from the Zeus website:

"If the server is running the mod and you choose not to install it client side,

then any AI you command will be at a disadvantage compared to the server

controlled AI."

I am creating a scenario in which there are likely to be only OPFOR controlled AI against human BLUFOR players. For the particular scenario I have in mind some of the AI improvements in Zeus would be a great benefit to my scenario especially the claims about improved sniping and about the AI using frags. I plan to have some AI units that carry only frags so that they are harder to distinguish from civilians, for example, while others will be snipers moving about mostly in STEALTH mode. Seems like Zeus is a good fit here!

Since the AI are all going to be on the enemy team it seems like I only need Zeus on the server side and it shouldn't matter whether the players have it installed or not. Thus I would not need to recommend that the players install it.

However, one feature of my scenario is that there is an event handler on some of the AI characters that result in a fireteam spawning if they are killed. My understanding is that this "killed" eventhandler would therefore run in the player's computer and would that then mean that the newly spawned AI fireteam is also running in the player's computer? Is that correct?

Those newly spawned AI are going to be on a distant part of the map and would likely be engaged next by a different player. Would this mean that they would be running on the original killer's machine, and thus potentially not benefit from the Zeus code even if the player engaging the AI has Zeus!

If there is a way to guarantee that the AI's run only on the dedicated server then I can install Zeus there and there's really no reason why any of the players would have to have Zeus installed, but if the AI's are going to start running in the player's VM then that presents a bit of a challenge.

Is there any way to force the AI to run server side?

Edited by Polar Bear

The improvements in this version along with the new pbos sound really cool, anyone able to provide a normal 7z mirror by any chance? Would be greatly appreciated for testing this out. :o

A question.

Is it possible to convert your addon in a script based mission, so i can use it for a side only?

So the other side can use another script that best suits their needs..

Cheers

The improvements in this version along with the new pbos sound really cool, anyone able to provide a normal 7z mirror by any chance? Would be greatly appreciated for testing this out. :o

Would like this too.

@ Polar Bear

AI units are always local to what computer is commanding them. If the AI is not in a squad in which a player is the leader, then the AI is controlled by the server (and thus given Zeus AI properties).

In player-lead squads the AI is local to the squad-leading player's machine, thus not benefiting from the Zeus AI mod on the server.

Even if you would run a client-side eventhandler that spawns AI soldiers they are created globally (i.e. created on the server and all other client machines as well, otherwise no one else would ever see them), and the server will be the machine controlling them unless they are put under player squad-command.

I've been on the range all day with the AI and managed to achieve pretty good results in updating the RPG 7 config for rocket ballistics. Rounds now follow some semblance of a ballistic arc, each variant with different characteristics affecting both the player and AI.

There is also some work on configuring probability of use of each type of warhead.

The update should be available for download from the Zeus Yoma repository tomorrow.

Requests regarding the various download methods are noted.

Terox is good enough to take the time to make updates available pretty much as often as I update the code, so please make the effort to use what is there while development is ongoing. If you need to, you can download .7z with a web browser direct from the repository...

This also makes it impossible to command units since they ignore waypoints and move commands

verde13, try putting the AI into Safe or careless mode and compact column or diamond formation - you should be able to command them then, even if they were in danger mode. Otherwise you will probably have to wait the default timeout until they return to safe mode from danger mode.

Does Zeus decrease your teammates AI ...shooting accuracy levels? ...however, I think I've seen a quite negative impact on friendly AI accuracy levels?

meade95, recommended precision settings for the player/server profile are:

precisionFriendly=0.5;

- you can adjust this to suit your personal preference.

Zeus AI deliberately decreases all AI accuracy to increase immersion and create a more realistic combat environment.

Also, it seems elevation above or below friendly AI cause all sorts of accuracy issues.

Check again with vanilla AI, I think you will find this problem is inherent in the game.

A question.

Is it possible to convert your addon in a script based mission, so i can use it for a side only?

So the other side can use another script that best suits their needs..

Cheers

fideco, there are other very good scripted solutions for AI which may be suitable for your purposes. Also, I may add a bypass variable that as a mission maker you can set on specific units to disable Zeus AI behaviour.

...For the particular scenario I have in mind some of the AI improvements in Zeus would be a great benefit to my scenario especially the claims about improved sniping and about the AI using frags.

AI using frags, yes. Reference to sniper teams was to human sniper teams rather than AI, though that is certainly an area that requires special attention - however amusing to watch a bush doing bounding overwatch with the rest of a fireteam...

Thanks Inkompetent for answering Polar Bear's first question.

Protegimus

fideco, there are other very good scripted solutions for AI which may be suitable for your purposes. Also, I may add a bypass variable that as a mission maker you can set on specific units to disable Zeus AI behaviour.

Protegimus

Protegimus, you are right..

It was in the readme also.

Great trick, the bypass!

Thanks so much for your work

Cheers

I first want to say I love the new version, the findcover function is awesome except for one thing. Could we change it so that it doesn't affect armoured vehicles so much, at the moment on contact tanks and IFVs run directly to cover with no thought to engagement and then stay there.

This creates a situation where dismounted infantry could be running to cover getting mowed down by OPFOR armoured vehicles because there armoured cover is already in cover and has not line of sight on OPFOR.

Prot, is there anything that can be done about AI turning speed and ability to engage at short ranges? Putting yourself against the AI in point blank and then running in circles around the AI can give quite funny results. Even if you do change direction (that is, start running in circles to the other direction) he often doesn't shoot you, or worse, misses!

Hey Protegimus. I seem to be having the same problems with night-time AI as long time ago. Even in the cloudy night enemies without NVGs still able to spot my silenced troops from ~150m away. Sometimes even when I don't fire a shot they detect me and sometimes even place quite precise shots - even though when I turn NVGs off I can barely see silhouettes of trees, let alone soldiers.

What's worse is that close combat at night seems to be broken. F.e. AI supresses one corner of the building, but the moment I lean from another corner with AI getting into my field of view - AI immediately turns to me and shoots me. Or two SpetsNaz soldiers guarding trucks - they watch east, but as soon as I lean from behind the building to the west and see them - both immediately do a 180 degree turn and kill me (and I'm about 50 meters behind them)

Edited by metalcraze

Latest Zeu_AI DEVELOPMENT version is now available

get it from

1. Zeus Yoma repository (It's one of the default servers)
  2. Zeus Website .7z file

Bookmark the website link, any future development updates will be hosted at the same location

Edited by Terox

Sorry folks, lower/upper case issue on the web url, now fixed.

Doesnt seem the yoma repository has updated correctly and as the system automatically updates the servers and reboots them I cannot rerun the updater until after our gaming night session which is currently underway and should end at approximately midnight UK time

Thanks for the browser http://zeus-community.net/important/@zeu_AI.7z download link Terox.

For everyone that is testing, this update brings a number of improvements in addition to the RPG7 rocket ballistics I spoke about yesterday so you definitely want to grab the update.

Something that i've noticed about Zeus CO findcover.pbo is that while in principle it works really well, it often ends up producing a stalemate since all the units remain in cover and won't engage anymore...

This should be resolved verde13, I'd be interested if you can provide feedback.

Hey Protegimus. I seem to be having the same problems with night-time AI as long time ago...

Hi metalcraze, would you care to post your mission so I can check it out.

Please try to post the same scenario as you experience a problem with.

Also, be sure to test with vanilla AI and check for differences.

Protegimus