Chrisgs

Windows 7 + arma2

Recently installed windows 7 and removed vista, found that Arma2 stutters and jerks a lot and made playing Arma2 annoying, so i partitioned my drive and reinstalled Vista 64bit, and Arma 2 is ok again, no problems and nice and smoothe.

Wondered if anyone else has had these problems, now ive reverted back to vista all is well again, but im disappointed as i was looking forward to win7 so much and expected great things, anyway appologies if this has been brought up before, if not am interested to know of others experiences with win7 and Arma2. Thanks.

Im sure a guy did a test to see what operating system worked best with arma 2 and it was windows XP 32 bit or windows 7 32 bit. Can't remember which one.

change your pagefile size and if you can put on another drive. I changed mine from 2gig to 4gig and seemed to help with sluttering and crashes..

Cant say i've had any trouble whatsoever with Win7, been running the RC since release and last week purchased the retail. Its running smooth with hardly any crashes. (maybe 2 in the past 6 months, i expected alot more with the RC). So overall i'm happy with it thus far.

As said few times before, A2 works perfectly smooth on Win7 for me and even looked better with less texture loading.

All the postings I've seen show Windows 7 as slightly better/faster than Vista, which is what I've found too.

I wonder if your graphics drivers have got corrupted somehow. I've had it a couple of times with the beta and now retail version. Just do the uninstall, safe mode clean and reboot shuffle and reinstall them. If that doesn't work I don't know what it could be.

P

Recently installed windows 7 and removed vista, found that Arma2 stutters and jerks a lot and made playing Arma2 annoying, so i partitioned my drive and reinstalled Vista 64bit, and Arma 2 is ok again, no problems and nice and smoothe.

Wondered if anyone else has had these problems, now ive reverted back to vista all is well again, but im disappointed as i was looking forward to win7 so much and expected great things, anyway appologies if this has been brought up before, if not am interested to know of others experiences with win7 and Arma2. Thanks.

Did you defrag? What back ground apps are running? did you do any "tweaks" to win7?

I just built a new Win7/GTX 275 rig and was getting all kinds of horrible stuttering all over the place. After reading through 10 pages on a simliar thread on people having these issues, I found one thing that cleared up all the problems for me:

Disabling Hyperthreading in the BIOS.

Worked like a charm and now everything is smooth as silk! Anyhow, hope that gets it sorted for you. :)

Thanks for the replys guys, yeh ive defragged, anyways have my drive partitioned now with win7+vista, can run arma2 no probs on vitsa, just stutters on win 7, so now i run from drive d vista, arma2 is steam on drive c, done all the usuall stuff defrag, latest drivers etc, guess its no big deal now coz i just run it on vista, just wanted one os rather than two loaded up, wonder if i could transfer steam onto my drive d and vista, instead of downloading again as it takes ages, anyway, will keep trying to find a solution. ps all other programs and games including Arma work fine in my win7 partition. Yeh i still use both arma and arma2.

Win7 64 for me is nowhere near as good as WinXP. XP gameplay is smoother, and ArmA 2 CTD's frequently on Win7.

Win7 and ARMA2 here as well - works really well.

OP: Check you really got the latest drivers all over when dealing with Win7 and ARMA2.

I've been lucky, I guess. I did a wipe and a clean install of Win7 64 and it runs ArmA2 flawlessly. I had been running on XP 32 and had the occasional glitch, but I find it hard to differentiate between the two performance-wise. If I had to make a flat-out statement about which was running better for me, I'd have to say Win7 64. I think there are a number of variables (hardware, drivers, lack of clean install, etc) that are producing various degrees of performance for people.

Win7 64 for me is nowhere near as good as WinXP. XP gameplay is smoother, and ArmA 2 CTD's frequently on Win7.
System specs?

I get CTD if I have video memory set to default. On very high all is well.

P

New format here, Win7 64bit. I get about a 10% performance decrease and crash now with every single display driver ever made for Win7 about 1 hour in game. :)

Even with an i7 920/gtx 285/6gb triple chan

Edited by Victor

New format here, Win7 64bit. I get about a 10% performance decrease and crash now with every single display driver ever made for Win7 about 1 hour in game. :)

Even with an i7 920/gtx 285/6gb triple chan

you have turned off HT in the Bios?

You can only upgrade from Vista, and even that is a bad way of doing stuff, so you are looking at a W7 fresh reinstall.

If you go 64 bit, you will have to reinstall. If you go 32 bit, I think Win7 can upgrade and keep the registry of Vista (not 100% sure but it looked like that).

And apparently, Win7 is better suited for SSD discs, which make a big difference for Arma 2.

Note : I just upgraded from Vista 32 to Win7 64bit on a small Kingston SSD and the game just got so much smoother with the same old GPU and CPU (8800GT + Q6600 2,4Ghz).

Edited by EricM