Sign in to follow this  
jasonnoguchi

Stupid Squad Mates

Even with friendly AI on expert, M137 squad mates still cannot hit a huge stagnant BMP 2 at 200 meters with one shot, sometimes not even within 3 shots! How is that possible?? So far, I am the only one on the field who is capable of taking down tanks with one shot, can't rely on my squad mates at all. Is the accuracy of friendly AI the same with rifles and M137s???? Its ok to hit an enemy at 200m with 3 shots of the rifle, in fact, thats fantastic shooting, but that's crap shooting with the M137!

Any solutions?

I suspect the problem is that they arent able to notice intervening foliage.

I often see them miss when the armor is in wooded terrain because their shots impact on trees and stuff.

In general they are pretty dumb and take a lot of babysitting, though they are good shots and spotters, and can hold their own in the defense.

I have started opening missions in the editor and making all my squadmates playable, then Teamswitching when there is tricky work to do.

no intervening foliage. :( one bloody clear line of firing 2 M137s, 3 shots, all miss....sigh...

Use some AI mods. That will significantly increase the accuracy and alot more of the ai.

Any recommended ones?

Yes, please, let us know. I concur with the OP. This is an infuriating problem

for me too. Sometimes the AI A/Tk gunner spectacularly takes out an AFV

target first go, while at other times (in exactly the same circumstances) he

expends all his ammo into the ground - and then is immediately KIA by his

erstwhile "target"; which AFV then proceeds to waste the rest of my

squad. :mad:

Problem solved with DL3 mod. :) Squad mates are now clever as hell and behave A LOT more like real infantry. Enemy infantry are also a lot more realistic and do not automatically know where you are after just firing one surprise round at them.

Friendly infantry AI also improved tremendously. I did a test mission placing 2 OPFOR infantry and a BLUFOR squad within 50 m of each other on an empty field beside a bunch of buildings.

In the run without GL3, the BLUFOR squad was fired upon and they simply remained in their formation, get prone on an empty field (real soldiers NEVER get prone on empty field if there is cover nearby!) and then looking around for the enemy and then just shoot them down. In the end, they stood up, got back into formation like nothing ever happened.

In the run with GL3, the BLUFOR squad was fired upon and instantly, they spreaded out (like real soldiers would when contacted) and threw smoke grenade to the perimeter before taking up strategic positions; sniper got to a higher mound and started shooting down the attackers. 2 others ran to the nearby buildings and took up positions on the roof tops and the rest spreaded out and combed the field in all directions for other attackers. REALISTIC!!!!! What can I say???? In fact, they continued to clean up the area after the enemies are killed instead of standing there like nothing ever happened! SALUTE!

Edited by jasonnoguchi

Does ECS and GL3 work together or are they independant mods? I am looking into ECS now. Should I run ECS and GL3 seperately? (one more shortcut)

I tell you what, i let you try out my mod, i spent a month on this thing,researching, downloading,testing, testing, testing,testing,ect., yes alot of testing a real headache

but i got it to work, and have not released it to the public at all, its for arma only, but it has GL3 and ECS together, and a TON of other stuf that makes the game... well F**KING AWESOME!

Remember that feeling when Ace mod first came out and you first played it, well that what i got when i finally got this thing to work.

my mod is a compilation mod that literally alters the game.

i dont have a new GUI that says WARMOD or something on it, i really dont know how to do it, so it is what it is.

I call my mod Warmod

The 2 packs work together, i was going to do an exe installer but couldn't figure it out plus i wasn't planning on releasing it as i wasn't

sure if anyone would want it, but to be honest i cant stop playing it!

This mod will solve your AI issues, and well alot of other stuff that wasn't fixed in arma as well as alot of features that i thought were missing. was

planing on making a couple of vids for the mod which im still planning on doing.

If you guys think i should release the mod then let me know, then i will make a post in the mods complete section for Arma and list all the features and such.

there is a readme that i made and is in the mod, PLEASE READ IT!

follow what it says or the mod compliation wont work!

Any questions, i have my contact info in the readme.

Gunter

WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!

CAN'T WAIT FOR YOUR LINKS! Excited already!!! Thanks for the chance to be the first to test out Warmod! :)

I am currently using both GL3 and ECS, but I suspect there are some conflicts, so I would be dead keen to try your mod Günter!

One of the links i have is broken, atm im reuploading the link, and filefront is being a real bitch,

plus i had to update something in the readme, was missing an instruction.

Asked Wolle about the rules about releasing a mod, as this is my first mod, i cant claim ownership of the mods contained in the mod, as i did give them credit, but hopefully this works out.

If wolle says its cool for what i asked him then I will make a mod release post in the ArmA - ADDONS & MODS: COMPLETE section.

Hoping to have this up tonight once filefront stops being giving me stupid errors, then i can do something. but i want to hear from wolle first.

i'll post here of whats happening, and give this topic here a link to the arma mod section if it pans out, i dont see why not.

Ya both GL3 and ECS have AI, and after some tweaking and such, the AI will flank, you, suppress you, you can suppress them.

If they first spot you they will throw smoke to cover their movement, their suppression is wild, they will shoot at your spot for like a 20 secs, or more and if they

see no sign of you there then they will search for you.

Muhaahha, oh man, i got GL3 and ECS to work, combined together with alot of other mods thats what i did is create warmod, and well add ace mod to it,

and you'll be in tears of joy, i know i am well not tears actually but just surprised at something every time i play.

CAN'T WAIT!!!!! T_T

I tested the AI in GL3 and ECS seperately today.

1 friendly squad vs 2 enemy squads.

In GL3, upon contact, all machine gunners begun suppressive fire in the direction of contact and smoke grenades were deployed. Squad automatically splitted into 2 fire teams. 1 team was doing suppressive fire while the other team took up flanking positions. One of the friendlies even crept up closer to enemy position and started throwing grenades.

In ECS, squad splitted up into 2 fire teams as well. No smoke grenades were deployed. No suppressive fire. All friendlies went for cover and begun controlled firing at enemies that turned up. The bleeding and medic system was awesome fun too.

Conclusion:

I like the AI in GL3 better as they are more dynamic but the bleeding system and the FPS counter made ECS more fun to play with. However, ECS does slow my system down noticably perhaps of the more dynamic environment sound. I experienced a marked increase in environment sound running ECS. Overall, if the AI from GL3 along with the impact system can be transferred onto the ECS framework, it will ROCK!

Is this what we can expect from WARMOD? :)

Pretty much, in ECS though it slowed my game down too, and i was like WTF, so i did a little research and this was during my

research for alot of mods for warmod,  theres a fog that you disable, its like volumetric fog of some sort, hang on a sec ill find the code...

Tweak the .hpp files

For instance, to disable the dynamic fog, open your ECS_local.hpp with a text editor and adjust this entry:

Code Sample

ECS_local6[] = {false};

this will give you back your performance!

i had this preadjusted and setup the mod that way for warmod

also if you can edit in the editor i suggest using this in your missions:

http://kronzky.info/ups/index.htm

This script is awesome, no need for waypoints!, AI will patrol and and well kick your Ass. you think its safe then next thing you know, pop,

shots from your flank, or from behind you, and you will be like how the Bleep did that guy get behind me!? lol

check it out!

^.. did that.. didn't improve FPS much... still bad. :(

But I do like the radio chatter coming from the vehicles... looks like a lot of performance went into sounds for the ECS mod. Its really the most detailed environmental sounds that I have ever heard.